Building the trenches with some nasty!

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Couldn’t be more happier on the type of players and at the positions the Cowboys drafted. The biggest weakness last year was the inability to run the ball, and not able to stop the run. They’ve got some work to do on defense, but they began to address that with Kneeland and Liufau. Build the trenches with some nasty. And on the offensive side picking Guyton and Beebe both being big nasty guys that will solidify the left side of the OL for years to come along with Smith. All guys have a nasty side something the Cowboys have been sorely lacking. Great first two days of the draft.
I have to admit, I'm skeptical about Guyton. He does have a nasty attitude, but it hasn't been consistent. Bebee is a mauler. It's hard to believe he was available in the 3rd. Along with Tyler S, we have 3 maulers on the OL. Now we need to concentrate on getting those types on the DL. I hope that ND LB is a thumper. We've been lacking that.

Ken

Reaction score
You said we got better and tougher, right?

So you're saying both of the O-linemen we took are "better and tougher" than All-Pro Tyron Smith that we had last year?
I love Tyron...but he was a big reason as to why we couldn't run the ball. Pass protection still excellent but he can't move anymore in the run game. Biadaz was also a liability in the run game.

We will be worse initially at LT in pass blocking but I predict better in the run game from there. The moment Beebe steps on the field it is an upgrade in every way at center, IMO.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Mazi's book is not written yet. He did some really good things last year. More productive than Jordan Davis was (that you and the other haters CROWED about when Philly took him) was in his rookie year.

I was never all in on Taco....i just said I understood what they saw in him...
he did a FEW really good things last year and a TON of NOTHING. So to claim there were signs of something worth a first rd pick is BS

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I love Tyron...but he was a big reason as to why we couldn't run the ball. Pass protection still excellent but he can't move anymore in the run game. Biadaz was also a liability in the run game.

We will be worse initially at LT in pass blocking but I predict better in the run game from there. The moment Beebe steps on the field it is an upgrade in every way at center, IMO.
Are they "better and tougher" already without taking a snap than last year All-Pro Tyron Smith like you said?

Ken

Reaction score
he did a FEW really good things last year and a TON of NOTHING. So to claim there were signs of something worth a first rd pick is BS
But Jordan Davis was worth a top 15?

He did even less his rookie year. Started out last year much better but then faded big time. He may be a bust....

It doesn't look great for Mazi with the shoulder surgery but I am willing to see what Zim can do with him.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

He did even less his rookie year. Started out last year much better but then faded big time. He may be a bust....

It doesn't look great for Mazi with the shoulder surgery but I am willing to see what Zim can do with him.
Who cares about Jordan Davis?

If Jordan Davis sucks does that really make you feel better about Mazi sucking?

The logic of "Well, yeah our guy sucks, but this guy over here sucks too, so it's okay" is so weird.

Ken

Reaction score
Are they "better and tougher" already without taking a snap than last year All-Pro Tyron Smith like you said?
Probably not but they will likely get 17 games out of Guyton and a full practice schedule.

Like I said....Tyron was still amazing at Pass Protection last year but we never could run behind him.

blueblood70

Reaction score

I don't think either of them are a bust and neither of them had a good rookie year and yes Jordan Davis did improve and I hope that mazzy will do the same in his second year I don't think either one of them are bad I just think people expected too much too early and yes you're right when the guy gets picked 13th overall and doesn't do much for a team that they say has a better GM and then our owner gets mocked for picking a guy at 24 wherever he was picked was it 27 and both aren't very good but at least we waited till way down in the draft to get ours.. Yes people don't understand that but I do..

It's the same nonsense that's argued over whether we should have given a fourth round pick for Trey Lance but they gloss over the fact that his own team picked him with three first round picks that's the team who had the bad GM that's the team who should have never used three first rounders and over drafted a guy who was an NFL ready us giving 1/4 rounder to a guy and hope we can resurrect his career that's not a big deal to me but they gloss over the other GM's making these huge mistakes just to mock our own...

Reactions: Ken

Ken

Reaction score
Who cares about Jordan Davis?

If Jordan Davis sucks does that really make you feel better about Mazi sucking?

The logic of "Well, yeah our guy sucks, but this guy over here sucks too, so it's okay" is so weird.
BC you crowed about how amazing the Eagles were for getting him while I said he sucks.

I was right...as usual.

LOL.

I was one of a few who said he was a hype beast.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Probably not but they will likely get 17 games out of Guyton and a full practice schedule.

Like I said....Tyron was still amazing at Pass Protection last year but we never could run behind him.
Then why did you say we got better and tougher then if you are now saying they are not better and tougher than the guy we let walk?

Ken

Reaction score
Then why did you say we got better and tougher then if you are now saying they are not better and tougher than the guy we let walk?
I think we will be in the run game. LIke I said...Beebe will be a HUGE upgrade in the middle in every way and I believe Guyton will be better in the run game initially.

He is more athletic and more aggressive than Tyron is now....

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
BC you crowed about how amazing the Eagles were for getting him while I said he sucks.

I was right...as usual.

LOL.

I was one of a few who said he was a hype beast.
I've never mentioned Jordan Davis in my life.

What are you talking about?

BUT... If Jordan Davis was a Cowboy and Mazi was an Eagle you would have a much different take on them.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I think we will be in the run game. LIke I said...Beebe will be a HUGE upgrade in the middle in every way and I believe Guyton will be better in the run game initially.

He is more athletic and more aggressive than Tyron is now....
You said the same about Mazi.

The truth is you HOPE these things.

You have no idea if they will even be good enough to start a single game let alone be better than a HOFer as you're projecting.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I love the Cowboys attitude. They saw us getting pushed around and brought in some physical players with a nasty attitude. Yes it has been sorely lacking but these guys will punch you in the mouth all game.
Let's hope so. It's about damn time. Been pushed around by the bigger kids on the playground for too long. Hopefully Dak can also improve his game behind these guys. If he's staying I mean.

And yes yes I know, we shouldn't expect too much from them right from the start. So I'm looking forward to 2025.

Ken

Reaction score
I've never mentioned Jordan Davis in my life.

What are you talking about?

BUT... If Jordan Davis was a Cowboy and Mazi was an Eagle you would have a much different take on them.
I would have liked Jordan Davis for Dallas as a Nose picking him in the 20s that year. People on here...i am sure you were included as much as you deny....were talking like he was the 2nd coming of Reggie White.

Trajan

Reaction score
I like the plan to get mean and rougher on the lines. The best thing to help Dak would be a mauler run game, and the best thing for the defense is a mauler defensive run game.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I would have liked Jordan Davis for Dallas as a Nose picking him in the 20s that year. People on here...i am sure you were included as much as you deny....were talking like he was the 2nd coming of Reggie White.
I was not included.

Because outside of QBs I don't put much stock in draft picks until they prove it on the field.

QB is the only position you can draft that can instantly take you from laughing stock to playoff team in one off-season.

That's why it's hard for me to get behind our draft this year. We've had a great O-Line for years. And we're now just trying to recreate it with new guys now while ignoring more important positions of need.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I was not included.

Because outside of QBs I don't put much stock in draft picks until they prove it on the field.

QB is the only position you can draft that can instantly take you from laughing stock to playoff team in one off-season.

That's why it's hard for me to get behind our draft this year. We've had a great O-Line for years. And we're now just trying to recreate it with new guys now while ignoring more important positions of need.
You are not wrong. But that's what happens when you stay mediocre. You draft too low to go up and get a real elite QB. With Jerry I just don't think he respects the position enough...the same way he does with coaches. That's why I think he stays with Dak and if Dak does leave then Lance will be his pet project. All it means is more years wasted from our lives. All we can hope for is the OL is much better this year but then again our RBs suck too. This is just going to be a bad year. I can feel it.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You are not wrong. But that's what happens when you stay mediocre. You draft too low to go up and get a real elite QB. With Jerry I just don't think he respects the position enough...the same way he does with coaches. That's why I think he stays with Dak and if Dak does leave then Lance will be his pet project. All it means is more years wasted from our lives. All we can hope for is the OL is much better this year but then again our RBs suck too. This is just going to be a bad year. I can feel it.
How much better could the O-Line possible get?

Going from a B+ O-line to an A- (If that even happens) is not enough of a difference to justify putting so much stock into it.

Now if we were going from a D to a A then okay, but we always have a top of the league O-line. So that's not the case.

Are we banking on them making such huge holes that even beyond washed Zeke will run through like prime Emmitt?

Are we banking on them giving Dak an extra 10th of a second to miss CeeDee running wide open down field because he locked onto Ferguson as soon as the ball was snapped?

This is just an unserious franchise. This is another unserious draft that, even if every pick is productive, will amount to nothing in terms of team success because the most important spots are still weak.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I have to admit, I'm skeptical about Guyton. He does have a nasty attitude, but it hasn't been consistent. Bebee is a mauler. It's hard to believe he was available in the 3rd. Along with Tyler S, we have 3 maulers on the OL. Now we need to concentrate on getting those types on the DL. I hope that ND LB is a thumper. We've been lacking that.
Hawaii players are known for their fierce competitiveness.