Building the trenches with some nasty!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This time last year Mazi's comp was Chris Jones and Deuce's was Barry Sanders according to 90% of the posters.
The most I have read about the latter is Deuce Vaughn demonstrating some of Barry Sanders' moves at Kansas State. I have not read where members claimed he was Barry Sanders.

Plus, '90%' is an extremely large exaggeration. I believe any recounting of any actual Deuce Vaughn/Barry Sanders comments, as a close comparison, would be below 5% of all actively posting members.

CWR

Reaction score
I love the Cowboys attitude. They saw us getting pushed around and brought in some physical players with a nasty attitude. Yes it has been sorely lacking but these guys will punch you in the mouth all game.
Agreed, but wonder why this hasn't been evident for years. Why would we not target these types of guys as a baseline practice? The skeptic in me wonders how much it's just hype. I dont believe that's the case, though. These guys have film showing their physicality and mean streaks. Let's hope it translates.

CWR

Reaction score
This time last year Mazi's comp was Chris Jones and Deuce's was Barry Sanders according to 90% of the posters.
Had a poster adamantly argue with me that Deuce was already better than Pollard in the preseason. Lol

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
The most I have read about the latter is Deuce Vaughn demonstrating some of Barry Sanders' moves at Kansas State. I have not read where members claimed he was Barry Sanders.

Plus, '90%' is an extremely large exaggeration. I believe any recounting of any actual Deuce Vaughn/Barry Sanders comments, as a close comparison, would be below 5% of all actively posting members.
There was a bit of sarcasm in my post which evidently didn't come across. My point was the hype this time last year was ridiculous.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There was a bit of sarcasm in my post which evidently didn't come across. My point was the hype this time last year was ridiculous.
I see your point but I think any hype was generated from the hope Vaughn may have enough opportunities to demonstrate what he did at the collegiate level on the pro level. A couple of stuffed runs basically benched him and those opportunities did not materialize.

Vaughn will adopt a permanent hype label if coaches (whether it is here or on another team) do not eventually utilize him in the correct way. In my opinion, he can be better used on run plays outside the tackles, catches out of the backfield and well-executed screens.

Better blocking will help him as well, along with any other running backs who will make the final cut for this season. Certainly, the level of run blocking did not better benefit Tony Pollard last season. Hopefully, the new OL draftees will excel, get plugged in and see how they can improve the run blocking sometime this fall.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
I see your point but I think any hype was generated from the hope Vaughn may have enough opportunities to demonstrate what he did at the collegiate level on the pro level. A couple of stuffed runs basically benched him and those opportunities did not materialize.

Vaughn will adopt a permanent hype label if coaches (whether it is here or on another team) do not eventually utilize him in the correct way. In my opinion, he can be better used on run plays outside the tackles, catches out of the backfield and well-executed screens.

Better blocking will help him as well, along with any other running backs who will make the final cut for this season. Certainly, the level of run blocking did not better benefit Tony Pollard last season. Hopefully, the new OL draftees will excel, get plugged in and see how they can improve the run blocking sometime this fall.
Well I'll agree with you they didn't really play to his strengths in terms of his they used him. I hope it works out for him but I'm skeptical.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well I'll agree with you they didn't really play to his strengths in terms of his they used him. I hope it works out for him but I'm skeptical.
Your skepticism is warranted due to his size. I only hope Deuce Vaughn gets the equivalent opportunity in the NFL as Muggsy Bogues received in the NBA. Two totally different sports but similar players with skills that did or could possibly translate on the professional level.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Couldn’t be more happier on the type of players and at the positions the Cowboys drafted. The biggest weakness last year was the inability to run the ball, and not able to stop the run. They’ve got some work to do on defense, but they began to address that with Kneeland and Liufau. Build the trenches with some nasty. And on the offensive side picking Guyton and Beebe both being big nasty guys that will solidify the left side of the OL for years to come along with Smith. All guys have a nasty side something the Cowboys have been sorely lacking. Great first two days of the draft.
It ain't the glamour picks....but gotta have trenches. And trenches need big boys to trench. We got some.

People love stats. Do stats record the amount of (US)pounds a team drafts?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your skepticism is warranted due to his size. I only hope Deuce Vaughn gets the equivalent opportunity in the NFL as Muggsy Bogues received in the NBA. Two totally different sports but similar players with skills that did or could possibly translate on the professional level.
I get it. But NBA hoops does favor the lighter more agile athlete than NFL football.

Having said that...Detroit, Philly, Boston, later Chicago, maybe Houston.....did play some physical hurting hoops!