Signed by Cowboys Byron Bell signs

Daillest88

Reaction score
He's only 28. Can play multiple positions, sucks real bad at LT but was somewhat Average at RT. Best position LG. Can still improve. Believe he will

tm1119

Reaction score
Adds depth and insurance behind Green. I'm sure the deal only costs a couple hundred thousand to get out of if he can't win a spot in training camp. Smart signing

robjay04

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing us draft a back in the latter part of the draft or even a developmental QB but...I wouldn't be mad if we didn't pick an offensive player the entire draft.

waldoputty

Reaction score
The biggest question is his ankle.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pass-blocking-by-time-to-throw/
In 2013 as RT he was decent - good number of pass blocks and only 0 sacks, 4 hurries and good rating - almost too good to be true.

2.0 Seconds
Here is a table of the top tackles, guards and centers in terms of Pass Blocking Efficiency (measuring sacks, hits, and hurries against the number of snaps spent pass blocking with weighting heavier toward sacks) at 2.0 seconds. This data includes the playoffs, and requires a minimum of 100 pass rushes remaining in the data set to qualify for the list.

Offensive tackles:
Pos Name Team Pass Blocks Sacks Hits Hurries PBE
OT Joe Thomas CLV 604 0 0 1 99.88
OT Jordan Gross CAR 459 0 0 2 99.67
OT Tyler Polumbus WAS 505 0 3 2 99.26
OT Terron Armstead NO 132 1 0 0 99.24
OT Michael Oher BLT 486 0 1 4 99.23
OT Jason Peters PHI 482 0 1 4 99.22
OT Byron Bell CAR 454 0 1 4 99.17
OT Zach Strief NO 547 1 0 5 99.13
OT Demar Dotson TB 459 1 0 4 99.13
OT Trent Williams WAS 506 2 2 2 99.01

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2319880-br-nfl-1000-top-35-left-tackles

Note that he gave up 9 sacks in 2015 as LT - that is only 1 worse than Free as RT.
No info on pressures though.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2608300-br-nfl-1000-ranking-the-top-35-right-tackles-from-2015
In 2015, he played G, LT and RT - so his stats cannot be used for comparison for apples-apples.

1. Pass Protection
    30/45
    A starter at left guard, left tackle and right tackle in 2015, Byron Bell is a savvy veteran and a valuable third tackle for any team. In pass protection, he allowed just six sacks in 16 games but did surrender 35 hurries of young quarterbacks Marcus Mariota and Zach Mettenberger last season.

Bell is a heavyweight with a strong punch, but he has poor timing when asked to mirror an edge defender and strike to keep him out of the backfield. Bell does settle down and handle a bull rush well, but any play that requires movement laterally can give him fits.

Run Blocking
    30/45
    Bell is an upright player, and because of that he loses a lot of pop in the run game. He has a bad habit of dropping his head when asked to pull or move and loses sight of where the play is going.

At this stage of his career, better conditioning and flexibility are the best bets to improve his lack of hip snap and lateral movement.

Position Value
    7/7
    Overall
    67/97

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
I'm in Charlotte. When Bell was here playing for the Panthers, he was a mess at RT. Played better in Tennessee at G, but don't count on him at RT, unless he's gotten A LOT better. He was worse than Free by a long shot.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
What this does is add a cheap option at RT, another guard possibility (along with Cooper). Believe he will be in the rotation for backup up RT first tho, come Training camp. And another year removed from dislocating his ankle.
This also lessens the need to spend a relatively high draft pick on a Olineman this year - I like the plan, lets see how it works out...
1 year deals, opens 2018 draft for RT if needed.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I'm in Charlotte. When Bell was here playing for the Panthers, he was a mess at RT. Played better in Tennessee at G, but don't count on him at RT, unless he's gotten A LOT better. He was worse than Free by a long shot.

thanks for the perspective.
what was the state of the panthers in 2013?
his ratings were a lot better in 2013.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that Collins doesn't move. Stephen said it was a possibility.

Kind of agree.

Like always they're going to go with their 'best 5', and I think that means Collins will be back at guard.

robjay04

Reaction score
I also want to point out that this just be a replacement for Leary's roster spot.

The last time I checked, for whatever reason..Doug Free has not filed paperwork. I don't even think the announcement came from him or the Cowboys.

Plankton

Reaction score
You mean Doug Free wasn't the worst RT in the NFL?

I find that hard to believe considering I read it here multiple times.

I don't think Free was great by any means, and really did need to be replaced, but Byron Bell is not an adequate replacement.

Bell's lateral movement skills make Free look like a dancing bear by comparison.