Twitter: Byron Jones is the most obvious free agent to re-sign

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree but because the DE and RB aren't worth what they're getting paid. 15M for a solid CB is better than any RB.

Why in the hell does any team pay 4 OL in the top 6 at their position to pay the RB the tops? Stupid, really stupid.
Because we have a QB who needs propping up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we had the DL causing havoc we could get by with less elite secondary.

Proof

Reaction score
If Zeke didn’t get paid heading into last season he would be wanting to get paid now. Jerry and Stephen would have a whole lot on their plate having to deal with Zeke, Dak and Amari. All three are playmakers and Jones isn’t.

Cool, he wouldn't be DUE though. Which is my entire point.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Cool, he wouldn't be DUE though. Which is my entire point.

Doesn’t matter he was going to want his money before his contract was up. Time isn’t on the side of an RB. Even though he wasn’t due you still have to prepare for it.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Jones is by far the most underrated cowboy active player.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jones is by far the most underrated cowboy active player.

Personally I think he’s overrated and will end up getting overpaid like most free agents. He almost cost us the Seattle playoff game in 2018. Hard to believe any corner/safety could only manage 2 career ints in 5 years.

Proof

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter he was going to want his money before his contract was up. Time isn’t on the side of an RB. Even though he wasn’t due you still have to prepare for it.

I'm not sure why you keep explaining things that are obvious. I blame him equally in all of the above scenarios. But specifically the one that actually took place.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you keep explaining things that are obvious.

Didn’t appear to be obvious to you. You’re blaming Zeke’s contract for why we can’t pay Jones when Dak’s and Amari’s contracts will be a lot bigger. We need to have money left for them rather than overpaying for a corner who doesn’t get takeaways. A lot easier replacing Jones than the other three players.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Jones may be the most coveted corner that’s been made available in free agency in recent years. Reports are he could make as much as $20M per season. He ranks 7th on this list and is the top corner available in free agency.

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2020-nfl-free-agents-list/

That's not breaking the bank....

That's market value for where he's at as a corner right now. There hasn't been many top corners that have hit FA recently - if a few top corners went right now, they'd be making around $20 million.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's not breaking the bank....

That's market value for where he's at as a corner right now.

If he ends up making $5M a year than the next highest paid corner which is Xavien Howard at 15.1M with a lot of guaranteed money which is likely, that will be breaking the bank. There’s been several players break the bank in free agency.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

And they're going to let him walk?

We have a terrible secondary. He's the one bright spot.

Let him go, and then what?

I think he is by far the most obvious to let go. Other than Zeke which they already blew it.

You let him go, then draft another guy. Pretty simple stuff. Its an ongoing rebuilding process every year. What, do you think we are going to the SB this year or something?

When you whiff on first round picks like Taco and then a 2nd rounder like Hill you put yourself in a bind.

And as corner is a highly paid position in FA, you probably use your first pick THIS year on him. Get yourself a cheap #1 corner for 5 years.

With a position like DT a cheaper position, THAT is where you go out this year in FA and sign one.

Proof

Reaction score
Didn’t appear to be obvious to you. You’re blaming Zeke’s contract for why we can’t pay Jones when Dak’s and Amari’s contracts will be a lot bigger. We need to have money left for them rather than overpaying for a corner who doesn’t get takeaways. A lot easier replacing Jones than the other three players.

Obviously they’re contracts play a part but they’re free agents. It’s expected. Forecasting and planning are easier done when things go as planned. Zeke being paid two years early with all of the pending FA’s is a monkey wrench. I’m not even particularly advocating retaining Jones, but feel their hands were forced.

I also disagree that Amari is more difficult to replace, despite liking him much more than Byron

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If he ends up making $5M a year than the next highest paid corner with a lot of guaranteed money which is likely, that will be breaking the bank. There’s been several players break the bank in free agency.

The next highest paid corner got his extension before the 2019 season and that was Xavien Howard and Howard did not reach FA. Here are the top corners in the NFL

Stephen Gilmore - got his contract a couple years ago, was not a top corner at the time
Ramsey - on his fifth year option
Marcus Peters - Great 2019 season, but was seen as a ballhawk that got burned often and attitude problems
Richard Sherman - Aging, wasn't as good when he left Seahawks
Casey Hayward Jr. - Was a decent player and injury prone for the GB, Chargers got a good deal
Adoree Jackson - Still on a rookie contract

The long standing best corners in the league have been locked up for a few years now or are on rookie contracts. Cornerbacks don't "break the bank".

https://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/

Go look when most of them got their contracts. The market goes up. All of those players, if they hit FA, would be getting what Jones is expected to get OR MORE.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
What was qb passer rating throwing at byron Jones? I know what it is. O and yards per attempt and comp% its not even close to elite. Bye bye byron

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Obviously they’re contracts play a part but they’re free agents. It’s expected. Forecasting and planning are easier done when things go as planned. Zeke being paid two years early with all of the pending FA’s is a monkey wrench. I’m not even particularly advocating retaining Jones, but feel their hands were forced.

I also disagree that Amari is more difficult to replace, despite liking him much more than Byron

Paying Zeke early allowed us to prepare and will give us a quicker out with him. It’s a lot easier replacing a corner who doesn’t get takeaways than a playmaking receiver who put points on the board. We all saw what happened in 2018 with the receivers we signed in free agency prior to trading for Amari. It would be a pretty boneheaded move to pay Dak a franchise record breaking contract and take away his number one receiver who helped make him a very productive QB. It’s not easy finding an elite receiver who can make big plays especially along the sidelines that Amari can.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
What was qb passer rating throwing at byron Jones? I know what it is. O and yards per attempt and comp% its not even close to elite. Bye bye byron

Who is claiming he's a top 3-5 CB? He's elite in areas, and he was top 15 when it comes to QB rating. I have absolutely no idea why any of you think you'll find more productive players for cheap.

Not sure how some of you consume football stuff all day and still know relatively nothing about it.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/byron-jones/

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The next highest paid corner got his extension before the 2019 season and that was Xavien Howard and Howard did not reach FA. Here are the top corners in the NFL

Stephen Gilmore - got his contract a couple years ago, was not a top corner at the time
Ramsey - on his fifth year option
Marcus Peters - Great 2019 season, but was seen as a ballhawk that got burned often and attitude problems
Richard Sherman - Aging, wasn't as good when he left Seahawks
Casey Hayward Jr. - Was a decent player and injury prone for the GB, Chargers got a good deal
Adoree Jackson - Still on a rookie contract

The long standing best corners in the league have been locked up for a few years now or are on rookie contracts. Cornerbacks don't "break the bank".

https://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/

Go look when most of them got their contracts. The market goes up. All of those players, if they hit FA, would be getting what Jones is expected to get OR MORE.

It doesn’t matter when they got their contracts the top paid corner Xavien Howard makes $15.1M. If Jones gets around $20M per with a lot of guaranteed money that will be breaking the bank. You call that extremely affordable?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Who is claiming he's a top 3-5 CB? He's elite in areas, and he was top 15 when it comes to QB rating. I have absolutely no idea why any of you think you'll find more productive players for cheap.

Not sure how some of you consume football stuff all day and still know relatively nothing about it.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/byron-jones/
Idk giving a guy credit for not being thrown at because the rest of the secondary was way worse doesnt make me feel better the fact is when he was thrown at passer rating was 87.7 and gave up over 10 yards a reception. With zero positive splash plays.