Byron Jones the worst in the modern era

Aven8

Reaction score
For the last 2 years Amari is what makes this whole thing go.

Zeke is underachieving for the type of talent he is and producing mostly because of volume and almost any RB can hit his numbers with that much volume.

15 mill a year and almost no explosive plays this season is not good.

I’m right there with you about Amari, but Zeke doesn’t get hurt and is a complete back. No one is afraid of us if we didn’t have him. I’m ready to see more imagination stuff with him this year. Passing game related.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I stated a few post back in 2014 we were 2nd in the league with 31 TO’s. Marinelli has always preached TO’s. Urlacher and Tillman were TO machines and Chicago always lead the league. Something happened after that and your guess has to be right.
Well there's no doubt that the rules changes made Marinelli's defense outdated. But yea - he's always a guy who has preached turnovers.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m right there with you about Amari, but Zeke doesn’t get hurt and is a complete back. No one is afraid of us if we didn’t have him. I’m ready to see more imagination stuff with him this year. Passing game related.

They have to become more like the 9ers.

Zeke is nothing special at this point and it’s not going to get better as he ages.

2016 Zeke was legit... 2019 Zeke is just a product of volume.

Lutonio

Reaction score
I don't watch this team and zero in on Byron Jones as a problem. I think he has been good at corner for two seasons.

There are a lot bigger things to change before him. The biggest already having been taken care of with coaches and schemes.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
I get that the number is low but how often is the guy he is covering targeted compared to the rest of the league?

BTW, we had him playing safety for a couple of years.

Nonsense he’s been a starter for 4 years. He should have more takeaways.

aria

Reaction score
Of course I wanted our best player signed. He’s what makes this whole thing go.
So you don’t want to pay top 5 player for his position on defense because TO’s are what wins games and he doesn’t create enough but you supported paying a top 5 RB who sat out with two years left on his contract, demanded to be paid the highest for his position AND was coming off a year where he was one fumble (TURN OVER) shy of leading the league?

RB’s are also much more easily replaceable (especially with our O line) and less critical to a teams success than corner.

I don’t get it man.

kskboys

Reaction score
So you don’t want to pay top 5 player for his position on defense because TO’s are what wins games and he doesn’t create enough but you supported paying a top 5 RB who sat out with two years left on his contract, demanded to be paid the highest for his position AND was coming off a year where he was one fumble (TURN OVER) shy of leading the league?

RB’s are also much more easily replaceable (especially with our O line) and less critical to a teams success than corner.

I don’t get it man.
Rb's are more critical, but I wouldn't have paid either.

Sydla

Reaction score

I don’t get it man.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

But Elliott has his defenders and nothing will ever shake them from their love of that guy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get it either.

But Elliott has his defenders and nothing will ever shake them from their love of that guy.
IMO, he has this offseason to redeem himself, or I'm going to jump in w/ the hate crowd. I've been squarely on the fence w/ him the last 2 seasons, if he comes in fat, out of shape, and unmotivated again, I may change to full on hate mode.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No, it's Jason Garrett.
2009 - 11 (Wade)
2010 - 20 (Wade)
2011 - 15 (Rob Ryan)
2012 - 7 (Rob Ryan)
2013 - 15 (Monte)
2014 - 18 (Rod)
2015 - 8
2016 - 9
2017 - 10
2018 - 9
2019 - 7

From 2011-2014, Sean Lee and Bruce Carter combined for 14 INTs. INTs from DBs have been completely foreign under Garrett, over the course of 3 different coordinators. He is terrified of giving up a big play from the offense, so he sacrifices the big play for the defense. As more and more of JG's guys have come in the, the number has consistently dropped.

This list is also illustrative of how much variance of in turnovers there is from year-to-year. They could roll out the same group and scheme next year and double their INT total.
Well damn, I stand corrected. Good info.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Lol I mean I don't think you're wrong really about Rod, but the INT thing just pre-dates him, so maybe the better answer is that JG is "more" to blame, than exclusively.
All good, you're right.

Sydla

Reaction score
IMO, he has this offseason to redeem himself, or I'm going to jump in w/ the hate crowd. I've been squarely on the fence w/ him the last 2 seasons, if he comes in fat, out of shape, and unmotivated again, I may change to full on hate mode.

For the record, I don't hate him. I just think he's a really good TB that is overpaid. I come from the line of thinking that you can build a really good run game without investing a high pick or a crap ton of money into the position.

So it's never been about Elliott specifically for me. It's about hte position he plays.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since these stats started in 1970 for corners that played at least 70 games, Jones only has two interceptions. Two folks! Next on the list has 5 in that span. He hasn’t had an int in two years as well. Mind boggling.

And those two are a hail mary attempt and a deflected pass. He's never jumped a route as a pro.

Which is why he shouldn't be back. No way am I paying huge money to a guy like that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No, it's Jason Garrett.
2009 - 11 (Wade)
2010 - 20 (Wade)
2011 - 15 (Rob Ryan)
2012 - 7 (Rob Ryan)
2013 - 15 (Monte)
2014 - 18 (Rod)
2015 - 8
2016 - 9
2017 - 10
2018 - 9
2019 - 7

From 2011-2014, Sean Lee and Bruce Carter combined for 14 INTs. INTs from DBs have been completely foreign under Garrett, over the course of 3 different coordinators. He is terrified of giving up a big play from the offense, so he sacrifices the big play for the defense. As more and more of JG's guys have come in the, the number has consistently dropped.

This list is also illustrative of how much variance of in turnovers there is from year-to-year. They could roll out the same group and scheme next year and double their INT total.
sorry first off JG doesnt coach defense not his fault

secondly this season we dropped 9NINE Interceptions led the league in that unusual stat.. thats on the PLAYERS so say they get 5 of those to be fair thats 12plus INTs, make sit a lot easier to stomach..players ether are or are not natural ball hawks and we are NOT at this time..

you want more picks get rid of the players and go after aggressive DBs but be advised this will at times lead to more big plays with risky go for the ball ball hawks but its trade off..what do we want more? less tds or more INTs?

from what ive read Nolan does teach more aggressive ball and we might get more TOs but watch how many more yards and scores we give up..theres a fine line somewhere in there..

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I like Dak... I just don't like paying him like he is one of the best players in football.

If I went to the store and bought something I wouldn't want to pay a 100 dollars for the 10th best item when the best item costs 90..
Wentz & Carr are for perfect examples. Why should Dak's pay be any different?

I like to see him get more than Wentz just to prove a point to that China doll. Wentz/Carr are laughing at Dak knowing they're both getting all that money and never even winning 1 playoff.

Carr has taken the Raiders only once to the playoffs. And that was before his big payday. Hasn't done so since. Not even .500 team.

I don't care what Dak gets paid, as long as he gets paid. Boom!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
sorry first off JG doesnt coach defense not his fault

secondly this season we dropped 9NINE Interceptions led the league in that unusual stat.. thats on the PLAYERS so say they get 5 of those to be fair thats 12plus INTs, make sit a lot easier to stomach..players ether are or are not natural ball hawks and we are NOT at this time..

you want more picks get rid of the players and go after aggressive DBs but be advised this will at times lead to more big plays with risky go for the ball ball hawks but its trade off..what do we want more? less tds or more INTs?

from what ive read Nolan does teach more aggressive ball and we might get more TOs but watch how many more yards and scores we give up..theres a fine line somewhere in there..
He's a HC, he doesn't get to pass the buck.

How many did other teams drop? Cut their number in half too.

Interceptions are a quarterback stat, not a defense stat. Changing the scheme to force QBs into bad decisions will go a lot further than personnel changes.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He's a HC, he doesn't get to pass the buck.

How many did other teams drop? Cut their number in half too.

Interceptions are a quarterback stat, not a defense stat. Changing the scheme to force QBs into bad decisions will go a lot further than personnel changes.
LMAO PASS THE BUCK

ITS CALLED DELEGATION AND ITS WHY THERE ARE 19 OTHER POSITIONAL COACHES INCLUDING A DC on the staff...

we have a DC and Kris Richard in charge of the back half both are 99% responsible for the defense and now they are gone as well.. this had nothing to do with JG. period..he doesnt teach defense he hired people that had skins to do it for him..Its how it works you delegate..

i saw it more on the players thats on the HC and GM to change that and now they will..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Wentz & Carr are for perfect examples. Why should Dak's pay be any different?

I like to see him get more than Wentz just to prove a point to that China doll. Wentz/Carr are laughing at Dak knowing they're both getting all that money and never even winning 1 playoff.

Carr has taken the Raiders only once to the playoffs. And that was before his big payday. Hasn't done so since. Not even .500 team.

I don't care what Dak gets paid, as long as he gets paid. Boom!

I get that but my goal is to win a championship and your goal is to cheer an individual on the team getting a bunch of money.