Signed by Cowboys C. Thornton signs with Cowboys

Plankton

Reaction score
2015 Stats

Nick Hayden, 48 Tackles, 0 sacks, 2 passes defensed (16 games)
Cedric Thornton, 33 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass defensed (13 games)

Not saying these stats mean much, however, I thought it was worth at least posting them.

It's also worth noting that Thornton was a 5T in a 3-4, two gap scheme, and Hayden was a 1T in a 4-3 one gap scheme.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Reading Eagles message boards, everyone is saying he was a good player. Excellent run stopper, awful pass rusher. But people understand why they let him go since they're switching to a 4-3 and will probably go with Cox/Logan as the DTs with Curry as depth. They're mainly upset that he went to Dallas. The good news is a lot of Eagles fans consider Thornton an integral part of one of the best Eagles D-lines in a long time.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Reading Eagles message boards, everyone is saying he was a good player. Excellent run stopper, awful pass rusher. But people understand why they let him go since they're switching to a 4-3 and will probably go with Cox/Logan as the DTs with Curry as depth. They're mainly upset that he went to Dallas. The good news is a lot of Eagles fans consider Thornton an integral part of one of the best Eagles D-lines in a long time.

wait,Eagles are switching to the 4-3? this is news to me.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Not worried about the pass rush. People focus far too much on sacks.

I just want a nose who can hold the point and occasionally get the QB. Disruption is all that matters.

We have lacked that for the last three years plus, so I don't think people even remember what it looked like.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I remember his family member posted here.

And you knew that had to be true because they said they were.
I actually believed it was his dad. The problem was he was a fan and didn't exercise good judgement about posting and making it known on message boards.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
It's also worth noting that Thornton was a 5T in a 3-4, two gap scheme, and Hayden was a 1T in a 4-3 one gap scheme.

Here are Chris Canty's numbers when he was in Dallas (he also played the 5-tech):

2005: 35 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 16 games
2006: 33 tackles, 1 sack, 16 games
2007: 43 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 16 games
2008: 37 tackles, 3 sacks, 16 games

Not bad for on a rookie contract. Never missed a game. High production. Still didn't get much love.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Not worried about the pass rush. People focus far too much on sacks.

I just want a nose who can hold the point and occasionally get the QB. Disruption is all that matters.

We have lacked that for the last three years plus, so I don't think people even remember what it looked like.

Yep. We got killed on the run last year. I remember stopping the run was one of the only things we were good at a few years ago.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yep. We got killed on the run last year. I remember stopping the run was one of the only things we were good at a few years ago.

The Green Bay game in particular was particularly bad.

It may not have shown up on the stat sheets enough for people to notice, but if a team decided they wanted to run on us, it was open season.

Most of the time, they seemed focused on the pass. One, because it was easy too. And two, get up by 14 points on us minus Romo, we were dead.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
The Green Bay game in particular was particularly bad.

It may not have shown up on the stat sheets enough for people to notice, but if a team decided they wanted to run on us, it was open season.

Most of the time, they seemed focused on the pass. One, because it was easy too. And two, get up by 14 points on us minus Romo, we were dead.

It opens up the pass too. The best pass defenses can confidently shut down the run. You make a defense nervous by gashing them with the run and it opens you up down field. I think this move improves our secondary. Now give me another pass rusher or two.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Signing a DT so soon in Free Agency questions if Dallas is considering that the Draft is a DT dream for the ages.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dont they will look at a 1 Tech. Think they will look at 3 Techs

I don't think they will. They paid big money to Crawford and Irving looked decent as a backup.

The money allocated at both of those positions eliminate adding early picks at them IMO.

Personally, I'd love to see us take advantage of this DT draft by at least grabbing one in the third round (preferably the second, where we can get one that's a first-round value).