California, after historic Jan rain and Feb snow. might get a hammer blow

T-RO

Reaction score
Already near the record, and now this is what is expected Friday. They say there could be a series of these AR storms.

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
That's amazing.

Hey, I only asked about "historic" because its an awful term.....what YOU said "on record" is by far the best way to describe it nd anything weather related.
We haven't been keeping records for very long at all, in other words. That goes for warm and cold. It's a millisecond in our history and in reality.
No offense to you at all... its just a pet peeve.

It IS serious business for those caught up in it.
I understand your distaste for the inflation of words and the hype we see.

This has a chance to get so much worse.

T-RO

Reaction score
I should emphasize one thing: this still isn't near as bad (yet) as the Great Flood of 1862. Don't have great records for snow, rain totals, but it was 10x Katrina impact for the people. Geologists speculate that sediment records show even bigger storms in central California's past. About one every 200 years.

700px-K_Street%2C_Inundation_of_the_State_Capitol%2C_City_of_Sacramento%2C_1862.jpg

Much of California was a big lake - and for months!

T-RO

Reaction score
Check out the 10-day ECMWF (European) model forecast.

15 additional feet of snow coming for parts of Sierra in just 10 days. More expected after that. They already have problems finding room where to stack the snow and this is coming?!

15MoreFeet.png

gtb1943

Reaction score
Weather is cyclic. California has been dry for so long they were due for the big ones.

Have zero confidence in the states government to cope. With their Governor off on a vacation

triplets_93

Reaction score

triplets_93

Reaction score
Already near the record, and now this is what is expected Friday. They say there could be a series of these AR storms.

New atmospheric river to raise flood risk, drop more mountain snow in California

A significant flood threat is forecast for California later this week as a storm with milder air drops heavy rain over higher elevations that have been socked by frequent rounds of heavy snow this winter.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/wint...drop-more-mountain-snow-in-california/1492896

T-RO

Reaction score
As with triplets I like the blancolirio channel. He's a commercial pilot, bright guy.

Lots of roof collapses coming with big rains this weekend. Here the home is only at elevation 3,000. It's worse for many. I can't imagine the work involved for some to do this.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That's amazing.

Hey, I only asked about "historic" because its an awful term.....what YOU said "on record" is by far the best way to describe it nd anything weather related.
We haven't been keeping records for very long at all, in other words. That goes for warm and cold. It's a millisecond in our history and in reality.
No offense to you at all... its just a pet peeve.

It IS serious business for those caught up in it.
Recorded history ergo the accurate reference to historic.

T-RO

Reaction score
To be real, accurate temperature and precipitation records are less than 100 years old so constant bleating about record setting is just plain DUMB.

Overstated and harsh, but I see your point.

We also have ice samples, soil samples and other ways to collect information about historic weather. Weird to think earth has been a big ice ball several times in history and also been far warmer than it is currently. Such extremes! Be fun to have a Time Machine.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This is matter of huge consequence for health and safety for Californians.

Anyone in California please please be mindful of medium to long term weather forecasts.

On this site you can review the long-term European and U.S. weather modeling and if this holds up, could present the worst combo of all:
Massive dumps of warm rain...that extend without stop for weeks. Given record-breaking snow pack and ground saturation...Severe and widespread flooding is a possibility.

Please check it out.
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/ana...ion=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn&runtime=2023030600&fh=84
Let them move to TexASS. No rain and no intelligence. Easy pickings.

triplets_93

Reaction score
As with triplets I like the blancolirio channel. He's a commercial pilot, bright guy.

Lots of roof collapses coming with big rains this weekend. Here the home is only at elevation 3,000. It's worse for many. I can't imagine the work involved for some to do this.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Overstated and harsh, but I see your point.

We also have ice samples, soil samples and other ways to collect information about historic weather. Weird to think earth has been a big ice ball several times in history and also been far warmer than it is currently. Such extremes! Be fun to have a Time Machine.
There are THEORIES that claim those samples prove weather in the past but only that. IT is logical they can show trends; certainly over long periods.

BUT pretty much worthless for short term events.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THE NEXT PERSON THAT BRINGS UP POLITICS OR POLITICAL AGENDAS IN THIS THREAD GETS A WEEK OFF.

YOU GUYS KNOW BETTER.

T-RO

Reaction score
A Pineapple Express (more recently known as Atmospheric River) has started to come onshore today. It's the first of three expected storms.

For this first storm:
-Santa Cruz mountains expecting up to 10 inches of rain
-Parts of Sierra projected 2-6 additional feet of snow

It's the repeated barrage of these storms, and the fact that they arrive with so much snow pack... that presents the greatest risk.

T-RO

Reaction score
Don't know why but can't format my posts, or use any of the media buttons to add content. Just trying to get official news and approved weather forecasts to users here. Glad Direct paste does still work for twitter and youTube.