California, after historic Jan rain and Feb snow. might get a hammer blow

DFWJC

Reaction score
Check out the 10-day ECMWF (European) model forecast.

15 additional feet of snow coming for parts of Sierra in just 10 days. More expected after that. They already have problems finding room where to stack the snow and this is coming?!

15MoreFeet.png
That's amazing

T-RO

Reaction score
If you are in risk areas of California, pay attention to the news, prepare.

T-RO

Reaction score
I'm no expert on the practicalities, the legalities...but I kept wondering why coast guard or military weren't brought in to assist in San Bernardino--digging homes out. Now at least 12 people there are dead.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I'm no expert on the practicalities, the legalities...but I kept wondering why coast guard or military weren't brought in to assist in San Bernardino--digging homes out. Now at least 12 people there are dead.

Keep it coming T-Ro. I appreciate this thread and your posts. So sad to see what is happening. My Stepdaughter is coming to visit soon and I hope she can safely get off the mountain. I'm going to encourage her to stay for a while to avoid that mess.

T-RO

Reaction score
Keep it coming T-Ro. I appreciate this thread and your posts. So sad to see what is happening. My Stepdaughter is coming to visit soon and I hope she can safely get off the mountain. I'm going to encourage her to stay for a while to avoid that mess.

The vast majority of people in California should be fine. But people in some areas need to be thoughtful.

Where does she live?

T-RO

Reaction score
Big Bear Lake.

I'm no expert, but doesn't seem like that area is in danger based on current forecasts. They expect some modest rain and accelerated snow melt due to warmer weather. They have no rain, snow or flood warnings at this time. Their hazards seem much diminished at least for now.

Risk areas right now are mainly in parts of:
-Mid Coastal
-Central Valley
-Sierra

Big Bear Lake sure has had a rough go the past few weeks, but that's tapering now.

Last edited:

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but doesn't seem like that area is in danger based on current forecasts. They expect some modest rain and accelerated snow melt due to warmer weather. They have no rain, snow or flood warnings at this time. Their hazards seem much diminished at least for now.

Risk areas right now are mainly:
-Mid Coastal
-Central Valley
-Sierra
Good to know brother. They need a break because they have been slammed.

T-RO

Reaction score
This channel is really informative. Gives official data, plus some nerdy, technical data as well. When the National Weather Services uses the word "Extreme"...time to listen up.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Yep, it's always extreme one way or the other. At least that snow melting will fill the lake in Big Bear.

T-RO

Reaction score
I learned this week that the drought monitor maps don't take into consideration snow pack, which is epic.

They have started releasing water from even Shasta and Oroville this week. Can't store all the bountiful water from this season.

Bigdog

Reaction score

Risk areas right now are mainly in parts of:
-Mid Coastal
-Central Valley
-Sierra

Big Bear Lake sure has had a rough go the past few weeks, but that's tapering now.
I live in the Central Valley region and we have had so much rain but it is badly needed. Let me tell everyone how much snow we have had this winter: Ski mountains have closed twice already because of too much snow. Let that sink in. Ski places are closing because too much snow. Who would have thought

T-RO

Reaction score
I live in the Central Valley region and we have had so much rain but it is badly needed. Let me tell everyone how much snow we have had this winter: Ski mountains have closed twice already because of too much snow. Let that sink in. Ski places are closing because too much snow. Who would have thought

Thanks for that info, BigDog. I grew up in Modesto, and went to UCLA. Haven't lived in California since college days, but some family and friends remain.

Reports are the next 10 days will be torrential. Let's hope nature provides a reprieve after that.

T-RO

Reaction score
Past five months I've been studying California flood history and hydrological management. Learned many things...here are 3:

1. You do not want reservoirs to get full! Reservoirs provide the following functions: water storage, hydro power, recreation and most importantly, flood protection. A full reservoir no longer can be used to moderate flow. And a super full reservoir can become a hazard to breach or fail entirely. The massive Oroville dam almost did see systemic failure a few years ago.

2. Central California really couldn't sustain cities without its multiple dams and reservoirs. Couldn't sustain its premium farming production. The state's natural pattern which includes extreme floods would drown people, animals and lands once or twice a decade. Those reservoirs can store gigazillions of gallons, and allows moderation of water flow. Stores that water for summers that in California often see zero water.

3. Juggling the storage of water and flood protection priorities is a dance. I wouldn't want the job! It's unfortunate that in the past 20 years California voters have repeatedly voted for new dams and reservoirs, but those votes---and the billions allocated to build...never seems to result in new water infrastructure getting into construction.

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
First car to average 1mph and not crash wins. LOL

Reality: two epic losers out driving when told it was stupid. Their car insurance will soon probably run 10k per year.

T-RO

Reaction score
My Stepdaughter is coming to visit soon and I hope she can safely get off the mountain. I'm going to encourage her to stay for a while to avoid that mess.

Yesterday I said I haven't seen any warnings/alerts for that area. But now they've posted an excessive rainfall warning for parts of SB mountains.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Past five months I've been studying California flood history and hydrological management. Learned many things...here are 3:

1. You do not want reservoirs to get full! Reservoirs provide the following functions: water storage, hydro power, recreation and most importantly, flood protection. A full reservoir no longer can be used to moderate flow. And a super full reservoir can become a hazard to breach or fail entirely. The massive Oroville dam almost did see systemic failure a few years ago.

2. Central California really couldn't sustain cities without its multiple dams and reservoirs. Couldn't sustain its premium farming production. The state's natural pattern which includes extreme floods would drown people, animals and lands once or twice a decade. Those reservoirs can store gigazillions of gallons, and allows moderation of water flow. Stores that water for summers that in California often see zero water.

3. Juggling the storage of water and flood protection priorities is a dance. I wouldn't want the job! It's unfortunate that in the past 20 years California voters have repeatedly voted for new dams and reservoirs, but those votes---and the billions allocated to build...never seems to result in new water infrastructure getting into construction.
California keeps refusing to go desalination as well.

Problem with not wanted the reservoirs to get truly full is when it gets dry again. Feast or famine.