California, after historic Jan rain and Feb snow. might get a hammer blow

Bigdog

Reaction score
Thanks for that info, BigDog. I grew up in Modesto, and went to UCLA. Haven't lived in California since college days, but some family and friends remain.

Reports are the next 10 days will be torrential. Let's hope nature provides a reprieve after that.
Yeah we are suppose to get another atmospheric river I believe in the next few days. They are concerns about flooding and mud slides since the rain will be up in the mtns and there maybe runoff. Next weekend we could get some relief

T-RO

Reaction score
Yeah we are suppose to get another atmospheric river I believe in the next few days. They are concerns about flooding and mud slides since the rain will be up in the mtns and there maybe runoff. Next weekend we could get some relief

The current GFS (primary American) weather model is calling for a wet pattern all the way through March 27, with just little breaks between systems. Don't think it's expected to be as heavy as this weekend, but still...tons more water incoming. Of course long range forecasts are fuzzy w/lot of hit'n-miss. Let's hope that's wrong and it mellows out.

The Cali drought is all but over, says well-regarded AccuWeather meteorologists. Concerns now are for life, property, and some peace.

GFS model data:
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/ana...ion=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn&runtime=2023031100&fh=69

Last edited:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I went down to the beach today and just looked up scanning the horizon. Pretty much every street has mini-rivers flowing down to the Pacific…….all stemming from the mountains just East of SB/Goleta. The rain is light now and we get a little break until early next week.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Here on the Big Island we got 42” of rain in February from these systems.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
No flooding here but they did have some flooding on Oahu and Maui even though we had more rain. The island is like a sponge. It’s pretty amazing. They also had several feet of snow on Mauna Kea.
Glad to hear it. I know you're enjoying the Big Island. Such a cool place.

T-RO

Reaction score
The Hawaiian island of Kauai has a region that averages more than 450 inches of rain a year. But lands and human infrastructure have adjusted.

California has some amazing flood abatement infrastructure, but ultimately its Central Valley is a big bowl, and its mountains are big snow-capture elements to sponge up huge Pacific precipitation. Very difficult for humans to eliminate damaging flooding there, though many billions have been invested.

Water management does an amazing job, but sometimes overwhelmed.

T-RO

Reaction score
fill dem reservoirs right up

They have already been releasing water from almost all the reservoirs, including behemoths Shasta and Oroville. They will continue to so, heavily at times in lieu of epic snow pack. If they didn't all but a couple of state reservoirs would spill over.

So it's a big blessing that water supply for Cali is now good. Utah also now facing more flood risk than drought. Arizona and western Rockies of Colorado also having banner water years.

Voices across the spectrum are asking for more expansive water storage for future droughts, be that via dams or under ground storage.