California, after historic Jan rain and Feb snow. might get a hammer blow

T-RO

Reaction score
The Stanislaus River is very high now

My entire childhood was lived 40 yards from the Stanislaus River (Modesto/Riverbank). When a young teen my Dad added what he called "The River Room" for a better view. Tule fog, Egrets, beavers, fox, coyote, hawk...and oh that's me down there fishing.

My concerns are with you BigDog. It's no playtime now.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Interesting overview of the San Joaquin valley watershed and the associated rivers and damns.

T-RO

Reaction score
There's big impact coming to farmers and to those who like their reasonably priced veggies. Huge swaths of prime farmland will be covered in water for 3-6 months.

T-RO

Reaction score
This is long-term history repeating.

Tulare was once top-3 biggest fresh water lake in the U.S.

Cali epic-drought-epic-flood cycle has been going on for countless centuries.

gtb1943

Reaction score
There's big impact coming to farmers and to those who like their reasonably priced veggies. Huge swaths of prime farmland will be covered in water for 3-6 months.

BUT it will be an opportunity for produces in other areas to make hay.

The old silver lining in every cloud thing.

T-RO

Reaction score
Update on snow:

Central Sierra SnowLab Official Total:
677 inches (56.5 feet)

Season isn't over.

Nearly 3x the norm. One big reason is that it's been consistently colder than average. Temps have been 5, 10, even 15 degrees below average for much of the season.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Update on snow:

677 inches (56.5 feet)

Season isn't over.

Nearly 3x the norm. One big reason is that it's been consistently colder than average. Temps have been 5, 10, even 15 degrees below average for much of the season.
Wit that much snow cover, clear nights are brutal. And even cloudy nights are colder.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Update on snow:

677 inches (56.5 feet)

Season isn't over.

That is for sure which helps with the snow melt. The longer it is cold, the longer the delay for snowmelt for runoff which helps with the water for the summer.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It's been insanely windy here in the northeast. We had that pretty bad wind storm a couple weeks back that damaged my roof which I had to get fixed, and a big wind storm happened against over the weekend that damaged some of the siding on my house and even a few of my neighbors. Now I have to put money forth to get it fixed.

I don't remember the wind being this bad here, feels like I'm in the middle of Chicago

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
It's been insanely windy here in the northeast. We had that pretty bad wind storm a couple weeks back that damaged my roof which I had to get fixed, and a big wind storm happened against over the weekend that damaged some of the siding on my house and even a few of my neighbors. Now I have to put money forth to get it fixed.

I don't remember the wind being this bad here, feels like I'm in the middle of Chicago
The weather seems to have gotten strange the last couple of years. I won't comment on why that might be. I know some will say it's always been that way. I'm in SW Florida and we haven't had rain in months. Very unusual for where we are. It's not the rainy season but still...nothing.

T-RO

Reaction score
California this winter is repeating historical patterns I studied from the 1860's...and one of the persistent elements in this epic winter has been weather much colder than recent decades. But of course the West Coast is just one spot on a big planet. Some places of course have had warmer or dryer winters than average.

In its history the planet has had years/decades/centuries much colder, much warmer and much more volatile than it is now. That part is historical fact. It's beyond my pay scale or interest in this thread to get into global climatology, various hypothesis, etc. Let's keep it on topic.

In the past two days California just got hit with another round of rain, wind and snow. The sheer accumulation of water is making the situation risky for extensive and long-duration flooding.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Father & Son bonding during the 2023 Crestline Blizzard (N. of San Bernardino, CA)

gtb1943

Reaction score
Northern Utah has also seen a historical snowpack that got added to again today.

And more is expecterd.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I live in Kansas. Serious drought conditions with little rain last year. No snow this winter. Just had the driest March since 1971. No rain in the 10 day forecast. I need a new rain gauge. Don't see any reason to buy one any time soon.
Just curious whereabouts do you live in Kansas? Just asking because my daughter might be moving to Fort Riley area in the next year as her fiance' will be stationed there after he graduates from West Point this year. She is looking at grad schools to get her masters in clinical psychology and I don't think KState has what she is looking for.

Bigdog

Reaction score

One of the roads that the San Joaquin River by Patterson has been closed for the past 2 weeks. I have to take a detour to get around it. That river is extremely high in some areas.

T-RO

Reaction score
One of the roads that the San Joaquin River by Patterson has been closed for the past 2 weeks. I have to take a detour to get around it. That river is extremely high in some areas.
There's going to be a lot more of that coming throughout the valley, Especially in southern section of Central Valley.

Big lakes are going to form for months, areas are gonna get cut off.