California, after historic Jan rain and Feb snow. might get a hammer blow

Bigdog

Reaction score
They have already been releasing water from almost all the reservoirs, including behemoths Shasta and Oroville. They will continue to so, heavily at times in lieu of epic snow pack. If they didn't all but a couple of state reservoirs would spill over.

So it's a big blessing that water supply for Cali is now good. Utah also now facing more flood risk than drought. Arizona and western Rockies of Colorado also having banner water years.

Voices across the spectrum are asking for more expansive water storage for future droughts, be that via dams or under ground storage.
I think they are doing the underground storage or that is what I read Newsome wanted them to do.

Yea that is coming later Monday and Tuesday and there is a major concern about flooding. Modesto has already informed people to move out of some area along the Tuloumune River (I know I spelled that wrong). Wind gusts are up to 50 mph but they say the wind will be steady at around 25-30 mph on Tuesday. I have a tree company coming on Monday to take down two redwoods. I don't really want them to come down but roots are growing into my neighbor's pool and the last storm that came thru they were swayiing back and forth. They told me that they don't think the trees will fall over but they sure do make a mess.

T-RO

Reaction score
I think they are doing the underground storage or that is what I read Newsome wanted them to do

It's puzzling that action hasn't been taken for storage over many years now. Californians have repeatedly voted funds for water programs but politicians keep diverting the funds for other purposes. Interesting and encouraging to see how some resourceful local leaders take it upon themselves to spearhead solutions. Like in Roseville.

From the state government standpoint the groundwater storage is something in planning stages...not really any action yet. But it's been already been accomplished in Roseville, a resourceful farm loving community.

Groundwater storage is great. But it doesn't achieve all the things reservoirs do (hydro energy creation, easier redistribution, flood protection). State needs more of both.

Last edited:

Bigdog

Reaction score
For 1 month it is. Avg where I live is 120” a year. Probably going to beat that this year. But I enjoy it. Everything is lush and green.
I love Hawaii but I have to apologize to you Rockport because for some reason I thought you lived in Texas

Bigdog

Reaction score
It's puzzling that action hasn't been taken for storage over many years now. Californians have repeatedly voted funds for water programs but politicians keep diverting the funds for other purposes. Interesting and encouraging to see how some resourceful local leaders take it upon themselves to spearhead solutions. Like in Roseville.

From the state government standpoint the groundwater storage is something in planning stages...not really any action yet. But it's been already been accomplished in Roseville, a resourceful farm loving community.

Groundwater storage is great. But it doesn't achieve all the things reservoirs do (hydro energy creation, easier redistribution, flood protection). State needs more of both.

I agree

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I love Hawaii but I have to apologize to you Rockport because for some reason I thought you lived in Texas
I was born and raised in South Texas but moved to the Big Island a little over a year ago. That’s why I like the rain. ;)

Booger

Reaction score
If you live in an area where you can historically get snowed in, then you should be stocked up for such a predicament.
Being shut in, in your home, with your family for a week should not be so bad...

It's not like you're the Torrances...
Yah......cause provisions keep the roof from caving in.

Under SIXTEEN FEET OF SNOW!!

T-RO

Reaction score
Yah......cause provisions keep the roof from caving in.

Under SIXTEEN FEET OF SNOW!!

I've been a bit miffed with some on social media.... The lack of empathy/support.
Should people in Kansas know it's tornado alley? Sure.
Should people in Miami know it's subject to hurricanes?
Should people in California mountains know it can snow a lot?

Absolutely to all 3. But when nature hits someone with both fists, preparation might not spare the car or home. And you might be inside!

T-RO

Reaction score
Into the void of empathy and government action, volunteers have made massive sacrifice, and incredible difference. Love, baby.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Droughts end in floods. That saying has been around probably as long as language has. Droughts don't end with year after year of above average rain. It just doesn't work that way.

I understand floods are destructive, but it's annoying that after years of constant complaining about how awful the drought is, they now want to make the solution to the drought a disaster also.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Droughts end in floods. That saying has been around probably as long as language has. Droughts don't end with year after year of above average rain. It just doesn't work that way.

I understand floods are destructive, but it's annoying that after years of constant complaining about how awful the drought is, they now want to make the solution to the drought a disaster also.
You want logic from our species?

T-RO

Reaction score

Agree 100% that droughts end in flood. U right. It does work that way, throughout history. Nothing new about that.

Doesn't mean that floods are devoid of disaster! People sometimes lose most everything and are often without insurance.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This is matter of huge consequence for health and safety for Californians.

Anyone in California please please be mindful of medium to long term weather forecasts.

On this site you can review the long-term European and U.S. weather modeling and if this holds up, could present the worst combo of all:
Massive dumps of warm rain...that extend without stop for weeks. Given record-breaking snow pack and ground saturation...Severe and widespread flooding is a possibility.

Please check it out.
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/ana...ion=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn&runtime=2023030600&fh=84

This happened in Texas last year. My buddy woke up hearing his window being broken, and someone crawling into his house. It was dark, and so he just grabbed a chair and smashed the person over the head.

It turned out to be a lady trying to stay warm, but the damage was done. The cops came; ended up taking her to the hospital, and that was that. She would live to be OK, I suspect.

Stay safe, y'all.

T-RO

Reaction score
This happened in Texas last year. My buddy woke up hearing his window being broken, and someone crawling into his house. It was dark, and so he just grabbed a chair and smashed the person over the head.

It turned out to be a lady trying to stay warm, but the damage was done. The cops came; ended up taking her to the hospital, and that was that. She would live to be OK, I suspect.

Stay safe, y'all.

Yikes!

gtb1943

Reaction score

Stay safe, y'all.
desperation makes people do foolish things. I can imagine how guilty he must have felt.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Pretty crazy. Some of those videos make it look like the north pole.