California, after historic Jan rain and Feb snow. might get a hammer blow

T-RO

Reaction score
There are places in NY that because of lake effect look like that every winter

Buffalo gets hammered with those snows, no doubt. Considered something of a regional snow capitol. Their seasonal record?
1976-1977 - 199.4 inches

For comparison central Sierra has now received 650 inches...and it's still piling up.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Buffalo gets hammered with those snows, no doubt. Considered something of a regional snow capitol. Their seasonal record?
1976-1977 - 199.4 inches

For comparison central Sierra has now received 650 inches...and it's still piling up.
Pulaski, NY has the dubious honor of averaging more snow than anywhere else
146 inch a year
Record is something like 350.

and they are NOT in the mountains

T-RO

Reaction score
Concern for dam breach in southern Central Valley

T-RO

Reaction score
Sierra snow total keeps piling up. The latest tally:

"Most ski resorts are in the 600-700" range across the Sierra. The Central Sierra Snow Lab, located near Soda Springs, has received 668” so far this winter.
The snow lab is now only 3” away from overtaking the 1982/83 season as the second snowiest on record but still has work to do to pass the 1952/53 record of 812”.

Mammoth Mountain could break its all time record of 668" set in 2011. Mammoth has recorded 616" of total snowfall so far this winter.

It seems March will continue to be an active weather period, so snow will keep piling up in the Sierra and records will continue to fall.

For the skeptical a link:
https://www.abc10.com/article/news/...erra/103-5d1434f2-7645-458a-9c5d-1c3294a8a05e

Bigdog

Reaction score
Pulaski, NY has the dubious honor of averaging more snow than anywhere else
146 inch a year
Record is something like 350.

and they are NOT in the mountains
This is so true. There is no mountains to protect them. They are just north of Syracuse and south of Watertown. That area gets pounded by snow every year. It is the place that gets the most snow in all of the US I believe.

Bigdog

Reaction score

T-RO

Reaction score
California weather is one of extremes. Always has been. Always will be.

Like that old seventies song:

It never rains in California
But girl, don't they warn ya?
It pours, man, it pours

Bigdog

Reaction score
California weather is one of extremes. Always has been. Always will be.

Like that old seventies song:
That’s true but there is a saying in the NorthEast that if you don’t like the weather, wait a minute it will change. I remember one year it 75 and sunny on New Years Day. The next day it cloudy and high of 15. Weather is crazy. I just hope CA is some how storing all of this water Mother Nature is providing

nobody

Reaction score
That’s true but there is a saying in the NorthEast that if you don’t like the weather, wait a minute it will change. I remember one year it 75 and sunny on New Years Day. The next day it cloudy and high of 15. Weather is crazy. I just hope CA is some how storing all of this water Mother Nature is providing
I think that's a saying that's everywhere really. I hear it all the time in Texas. I heard it when I lived in California, and Colorado, and Florida. I heard it when I visited other places too. That or variations of it.

T-RO

Reaction score
Yet another crazy weather day in Cali

70 mph wind gusts in Bay Area caused this on the Bay Bridge.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nasty on the beach here in SoCal too. The rain isn’t bad but the wind is insane. I feel like I’m back in Houston waiting for the hurricanes eye to roll in.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Lake Tulare is back. At one time this was the biggest lake west of the Mississippi. But bac kthen a farmer named Boswell, one of the biggest farmers in the world family convinced the state to dam rivers to get the land and grow cotton. This destroyed the water source for the state but created some of most fertile land in the world.

https://www.kvpr.org/local-news/202...ie-tulare-lake-waters-rise-around-allensworth

I like 35 mins from this.

T-RO

Reaction score
Lake Tulare is back. At one time this was the biggest lake west of the Mississippi. But bac kthen a farmer named Boswell, one of the biggest farmers in the world family convinced the state to dam rivers to get the land and grow cotton. This destroyed the water source for the state but created some of most fertile land in the world.

https://www.kvpr.org/local-news/202...ie-tulare-lake-waters-rise-around-allensworth

I like 35 mins from this.

My thoughts and concern is w/you and your community. Yes I was just learning more about Lake Tulare's history--and re-appearance earlier today. Hang in there!

BTW...sorry if I got contentious with you earlier, talking football

gtb1943

Reaction score
Yet another crazy weather day in Cali

70 mph wind gusts in Bay Area caused this on the Bay Bridge.

That semi driver definitely needs some training on how to park his vehicle. That does not look quite right.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
My thoughts and concern is w/you and your community. Yes I was just learning more about Lake Tulare's history--and re-appearance earlier today. Hang in there!

BTW...sorry if I got contentious with you earlier, talking football
Np, I can debate with anybody. I live in hanford, not bad here, but everywhere on all sides has flooding, South to Corcoran, east to Porterville, west to Huron and Coalinga, north to Selma.

Bigdog

Reaction score
We are getting a reprieve. No rain until maybe next week. I think at the Oakland Airport the other day they had 70 mph wind gusts. The Stanislaus River is very high now. Last year you could basically walk across with ankle deep water. Now it is way over your head and the snow hasn’t even melt from the mountains yet.