callahan named offensive coordinator

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
No reason to leave the position empty. The more intelligent minds the better. Also helps him pad his resume. You want to take care of your people.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;4373785 said:
If you're an o-coordinator and you're not calling the plays, then to me it's a title-in-name-only. It's like podiatrists calling themselves "doctors." I wish Callahan well, but his phony title is no cause for excitement.

So designing and installing the offense and the gameplans for each week is a meaningless token title?

You don't think that guy has a direct influence over performance?

cml750

Reaction score
I am glad Jason and Jerry realized we need an offensive coordinator. Jason can focus on discipline and motivation.

JBS

Reaction score
It's A double edged sword

apparently the cowboys (jones) wanted Sparano but Garrett wanted Callahan

So it's a good sign Garrett is getting his way over jones

But Garrett is still calling plays

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4373790 said:

is this an assumption or have you read/heard that yet? far as i've seen we've just seen the titles they were given, but no depth into what that will translate into. i'm not going to live by a twitter report and i'm fine waiting until more is known before i work myself into a tizzy about this "move". it's not like every initial twitter report has been accurate.

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
iceberg;4373783 said:
i'm definately encouraged that's for sure. now i want to hear more in what capacity they're thinking and who will be responsible for things on any given sunday.

but wow - i never would have thought garrett would do that, so hell. i'm already encouraged even if it's not who others would pick. the fact he picked someone is good enough for me.
I with you. I like the fact that Callahan is a fresh voice for this organization. Even if Garrett retains a large portion of control over the offense and Bill is more in an advisory position, I still like this move...
:starspin

JBS

Reaction score
iceberg;4373793 said:
is this an assumption or have you read/heard that yet? far as i've seen we've just seen the titles they were given, but no depth into what that will translate into.

Its what I read

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Impossible. We've been told by those in the know that this would never happen.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4373790 said:

and? Callahan as a OC will have a big role helping to put together a game plan again I think he will likely be upstairs giving Garrett the eyes in the sky and keeping track of the situations we are facing.

I do think the fact that Callahan was Garrett call shows that Garrett does have the say in terms of football operations.

Big D

Reaction score
Here's a couple of things that I read about and like about this move.

Under Callahan's guidance, the Raiders led the NFL in passing for the first time in team history and led the league in total offense for just the second time in team history.

During his tenure as not only head coach but also offensive coordinator for the Raiders, the Raider offense led the league in rushing in 2000 and led the league in passing in 2002. In 2002, the Raiders became the first team to win games in the same season while rushing at least 60 times (against Kansas City in a 24-0 win) and passing at least 60 times (against Pittsburgh in a 30-17 win). The Raider offense also set many franchise records during this period, including fewest sacks allowed (28) in 2000, a mark that was broken the following year (27).

In 2008, three of the offensive linemen (with Bill Callahan as their position coach) from the Jets were named to the Pro Bowl-center Nick Mangold, guard Alan Faneca and tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson. All three repeated in 2009. Under Callahan's direction of the running game the Jets broke the franchise record in 2009 gaining 2756 yards on the ground through 16 regular season games. They led the National Football League in rushing and averaged 4.5 yard per attempt.

He likes to protect the qb and run the ball. I like it.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
UVAwahoos;4373768 said:
Does this guy ever saying anything football related or does he just complain and whine about other posters? Serious question.

Don't ask questions you already know the answer to.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Risen Star;4373750 said:
Yeah. That shouldn't surprise anybody.

All in all, I don't like it. I don't want Callahan's offense on Sunday. I want Garrett's....but with an NFL caliber offensive line.

I don't think we'll see Callahan's offense on Sundays. I think we'll see Garrett's with some tweaks by Callahan, probably mostly concerning offensive line blocking schemes.

I could be wrong about that, but I don't think Garrett fully gives up an offense that consistently ranks near the top of the league. Seems to me he is at least using critical thinking to evaluate that there are things about it that could be better. That's a good thing.

Could be Callahan had some suggestions about our red zone offense that Garrett liked.

JBS

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4373800 said:
and? Callahan as a OC will have a big role helping to put together a game plan again I think he will likely be upstairs giving Garrett the eyes in the sky and keeping track of the situations we are facing.

I do think the fact that Callahan was Garrett call shows that Garrett does have the say in terms of football operations.

You ask and, and you answer your own question

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4373797 said:
Its what I read

yea, i just saw the big red twitter report.

sorry - i'm old school and just don't live and die by every twitter tweet as if it's the full story.

i've got a guarded optimism about the move and want to know more before i start head banging.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Eh, pure meaningless title. Maybe even done for Callahan's ego/resume to get him to sign here. We know this because Callahan's beloved WCO isn't anything like Garrett's Coryell roots.

It doesn't hurt anything and it isn't a letdown, because it's what we had before. No surprise whatsoever that it's still Garrett's O.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Great step forward by the organization IMO. Don't know much about how good or not Callahan is with gameplans and whatnot, but this should take some of the load off of Red even though he will still be apparantly calling the plays.

This should help Garrett out.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4373806 said:
You ask and, and you answer your own question

I don't see this as a bad thing regardless of who is calling the plays