callahan named offensive coordinator

JoeCorrado

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4373794 said:
So Garrett is still calling plays? :banghead: :mad:

From the interview:

N: Jason would be benefitted by an OC.

S: Unfair to point to one thing. We spend long hours in meetings with Jason. Long hours in meetings with the other coaches. We cover everything. We’re not through yet. Everything is a work in progress. If you see opportunities to improve your team you do it. Continue to evaluate internally. Disappointing we are doing these meetings now instead of 2, 3 or 4 weeks from now.

Sounds like he may not. But hey, that's just my interpretation.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
gimmesix;4373805 said:
I don't think we'll see Callahan's offense on Sundays. I think we'll see Garrett's with some tweaks by Callahan, probably mostly concerning offensive line blocking schemes.

I could be wrong about that, but I don't think Garrett fully gives up an offense that consistently ranks near the top of the league. Seems to me he is at least using critical thinking to evaluate that there are things about it that could be better. That's a good thing.

That's probably correct. I just don't see Callahan as a guy I'd want running my offense over Garrett so the thought that he'll now have his hands in it doesn't get me excited.

This is all for nothing anyway. The coaching and playcalling had absolutely nothing to do with any issues on offense. Kick off a new season right now. You'll see the same issues. Then people can want to fire Callahan too.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
JoeCorrado;4373817 said:
From the interview:

Sounds like he may not. But hey, that's just my interpretation.

sounds like a lot of evaluation is still going on but the IGS has already stamped this move a bust.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dash28;4373774 said:
Do you just complain?

Serious question.

He doesn't *just* complain. He also spends time mis-understanding simple logical arguments. He's a two-trick pony.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;4373807 said:
yea, i just saw the big red twitter report.

sorry - i'm old school and just don't live and die by every twitter tweet as if it's the full story.

i've got a guarded optimism about the move and want to know more before i start head banging.
You missed the article that was two posts below the red twitter report... :cool:

Risen Star;4373730 said:
The Dallas Cowboys announced the hires of Bill Callahan and Jerome Henderson to the coaching staff on Thursday.

Callahan has been named the offensive coordinator/offensive line coach and Henderson is the secondary coach.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...cowboys-announce-callahan-and-henderson-hires

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Idgit;4373827 said:
He doesn't *just* complain. He also spends time mis-understanding simple logical arguments. He's a two-trick pony.

oh, i've got a 3rd trick also.

and it's not that i don't under....

nevermind. you win too.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Risen Star;4373788 said:
So designing and installing the offense and the gameplans for each week is a meaningless token title?

You don't think that guy has a direct influence over performance?

Oh, his weekly contributions behind the scenes will be meaningful (assuming he knows his stuff), but unless you're calling plays on Sunday, don't appropriate that title. Of course, we have an owner who unilaterally appointed himself GM, so I can see how these things can metastasize.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4373828 said:
You missed the article that was two posts below the red twitter report... :cool:

honestly i ignored the all red at first and had to go back and edit some of my posts to reflect that.

but yea, my bad. oh - and i have that poster on ignore, fyi. i did go out to ESPN to read the whole story that was there, however.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Callahan was the OL coach with the Jets. Aren't coaches prohibited from making lateral moves unless they are fired from their current team? If so, then Callahan could not just be named OL coach in Dallas. He would be required to have some additional title or role.

This may or may not be a great move. I don't think it is a bad move. It could just be more of the same and counting on Garrett to improve which is possible. I think there are more positives from this situation than negatives.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;4373840 said:
Callahan was the OL coach with the Jets. Aren't coaches prohibited from making lateral moves unless they are fired from their current team? If so, then Callahan could not just be named OL coach in Dallas. He would be required to have some additional title or role.

This may or may not be a great move. I don't think it is a bad move. It could just be more of the same and counting on Garrett to improve which is possible. I think there are more positives from this situation than negatives.
I believe his contract was up. Jets offered him an extension, but he chose to leave anyway.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;4373833 said:
Oh, his weekly contributions behind the scenes will be meaningful (assuming he knows his stuff), but unless you're calling plays on Sunday, don't appropriate that title. Of course, we have an owner who unilaterally appointed himself GM, so I can see how these things can metastasize.

I'm all for ripping Jerry but I don't think this is a legit opportunity. The defending Super Bowl Champs have the very same set up. They have a guy coordinating their offense during the week and the head coach calls the plays on Sundays.

What makes you think Bill Callahan is a better playcaller than Jason Garrett anyway?

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
Idgit;4373827 said:

I bet this sounded like a real zinger when you thought it out. Cute.

:rolleyes:

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
joseephuss;4373840 said:

I think his contract just ran out. Us Fans are never really aware of FA coaches.(partly why so much venom is only directed at players as overpaid)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4373843 said:
I believe his contract was up. Jets offered him an extension, but he chose to leave anyway.

And on that note... Maybe it's old news but I hadn't heard it yet... Mort said on 103.3 today that last year the Jets denied Callahan the chance to interview for the Titans' OC job, and Callahan has held a little grudge about it and wanted out ever since.

Which probably also explains why he got the OC title here.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Risen Star;4373846 said:
I'm all for ripping Jerry but I don't think this is a legit opportunity. The defending Super Bowl Champs have the very same set up. They have a guy coordinating their offense during the week and the head coach calls the plays on Sundays.

I'm not against Callahan having game plan input; I'm against deceptive titles. I'm glad that a similar arrangement is working out for GB, but that guy ain't a real OC either.

What makes you think Bill Callahan is a better playcaller than Jason Garrett anyway?

I don't, but the only way to know for sure is to get on with the process.

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
Risen Star;4373846 said:

I do my share of complaining about Jerry too, but I really think this is a good move and a good sign that maybe the culture of the team is changing. If it turns out to be a terrible move, I volunteer to be one of the first to be roasted for approving of this move, LOL!
:starspin

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
I just hope we are not changing offensive systems. I'd rather keep Garrett's Coryell rather than switch to WCO.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
bbgun;4373737 said:
Makes sense. I mean, Red can't call plays and talk to Jerry at the same time.
:laugh1:

I don't know much about the guy, but there's nothing wrong with getting someone to do things they are better at than you. You can't be GREAT at everything, now send this memo to the GM & the Owner.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;4373855 said:
And on that note... Maybe it's old news but I hadn't heard it yet... Mort said on 103.3 today that last year the Jets denied Callahan the chance to interview for the Titans' OC job, and Callahan has held a little grudge about it and wanted out ever since.

Which probably also explains why he got the OC title here.
That's interesting.. Maybe he'll have more influence in gameplanning than we thought. Maybe the Cowboys offered him a chance to offer a lot more input than what he was getting in NY.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
DWhite Fan;4373782 said:
The Raiders offense was pretty solid the year they went to SB 37...
:starspin

I'm pretty sure that was still Gruden's offense they were running that year for the most part. Gruden in fact used his knowledge of the offense against Oakland in that Super Bowl.

Hey, it can only help. Even if Callahan is only putting together the gameplan, it takes a load off of Garrett and adds some different things perhaps to the offense.