Calling all Dez haters (Performance Film Study)

School

Reaction score
I'm all for changing my mind on Dez, but this tweet seems pretty damning.

(The second graphic that appears after pushing the play button shows success by route.)

He charts all routes run, not just targets, in order to remove the variable of qb play. Dez also ranked as an elite receiver according to these metrics in 2014.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

(The second graphic that appears after pushing the play button shows success by route.)

He charts all routes run, not just targets, in order to remove the variable of qb play. Dez also ranked as an elite receiver according to these metrics in 2014.

Finally I saw this last week and couldn't find it again thank you sir.

For all the dak haters this has nothing to do with targets or qb passes. Just the receiver and his routes.

Mods we can sticky schools post and close the thread now thanks.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
my furniture store will be having a pre-draft day sale on armchairs. 50% off both the qb and gm versions in silver and blue whole grain leather, and 60% off the velour models. each comes with an autographed placard by bill parcells that reads "believe your eyes".

I want the one that says you got sucked or don’t eat the cheese.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sorry but, all you have to do is study his season stats the last 3 years and you get all the information you need. I watched the video but, I also studied all
the all 88's the last couple of years and the truth is there if you care to really evaluate.

In regard to Dez, any discussion about stats and salary makes you a hater, particularly if you focus on the past 3 seasons as if that is more relevent than 2014.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yes, 2014 is the only season that matters, all the rest we didn't actually have a QB.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

what determines success rate?

Ddisco22

Reaction score
So Dez dropped 70 passes last year. When you start with hyperbole it is hard to take you seriously. Do you know for a fact Dez has not tried to get with Dak, I mean the same people that "hate" on Dez making assumptions also give Dak a pass. For Dez and Dak to work it has to be a two way street if one does not want to do the work what choice does the other have. Dak and Dez should be slamming in to each other to work on chemistry instead one waiting idly by petting their monkey or partying on a boat.
I'm sure they are working together

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score

All these charts/stats are saying is that Dez lost a step, which is correct. The video I posted is visual proof that Dez still gets open/separation. It all boils down to the chemistry between Dak and Dez. If Dez's rec. yards and TD numbers were up, charts and stats like this wouldn't matter.

No one has ALL the answers, but I think we will see a more determined Dez in 2018.

School

Reaction score
what determines success rate?
"Success Rate vs. Coverage scores – how often a receiver gets open against the defenders covering him. A success is charted when a receiver “gets open” against the coverage. Creating separation, enough for the quarterback to have a reasonable target, is marked as a success. The only plays that are automatically given as success to the receiver are instances where a receiver is obviously held or interfered with (called or not). These plays make a big difference to an offense, and signify a receiver winning yards for his team by forcing the defensive back to hold him."

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/2018-reception-perception/

School

Reaction score
If Dez's rec. yards and TD numbers were up, charts and stats like this wouldn't matter.

I would disagree with that. Sometimes counting stats like yards and tds can be misleading. Blake Bortles from a few years ago comes to mind. Some analysts were able to use advanced stats to show that Bortles was actually still terrible and had not had a breakout season, despite his gaudy touchdown numbers.

No one has ALL the answers, but I think we will see a more determined Dez in 2018.

I do agree with that, and will be rooting for Dez to perform well.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
"Success Rate vs. Coverage scores – how often a receiver gets open against the defenders covering him. A success is charted when a receiver “gets open” against the coverage. Creating separation, enough for the quarterback to have a reasonable target, is marked as a success. The only plays that are automatically given as success to the receiver are instances where a receiver is obviously held or interfered with (called or not). These plays make a big difference to an offense, and signify a receiver winning yards for his team by forcing the defensive back to hold him."

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/2018-reception-perception/

"enough for the quarterback to have a reasonable target"

That is completely subjective. Thanks that is what I figured.

School

Reaction score
"enough for the quarterback to have a reasonable target"

That is completely subjective. Thanks that is what I figured.
Yeah I wish he had more descriptive or concrete criteria.

To his credit, he has been doing this for years and has probably charted hundreds, if not more, receivers, so you'd hope he has a good baseline of what to look for.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
I would disagree with that. Sometimes counting stats like yards and tds can be misleading. Blake Bortles from a few years ago comes to mind. Some analysts were able to use advanced stats to show that Bortles was actually still terrible and had not had a breakout season, despite his gaudy touchdown numbers.
If Dez had a 1100yd 12TD season that would be all the fans care about, all the other stats saying that he had a "bad" year wouldn't matter.

School

Reaction score
If Dez had a 1100yd 12TD season that would be all the fans care about, all the other stats saying that he had a "bad" year wouldn't matter.
The other stats may not matter as much to Joe Fan, but that doesn't change the fact that they usually paint a more accurate picture than raw yards and touchdowns.