Twitter: Calvin Watkins: As of Sunday afternoon, Cowboys and Dak are not close to a deal

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1000%........makes me wonder if something going on behind close doors that may have impact their thinking. ( Dalton and/or current financial state of the league). The logics aren't adding up.......remember Stephen said a couple of months ago " we need to land this plane".

Not looking promising....

giphy.gif

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Perhaps Jerry wants to win at least a division championship with someone, whether it's Dak or not.

Outside of that, for the present time, at least, it's possible both sides are willing to play with the tag.

Depending upon what Dak is able to accomplish this year, maybe a contract can be had afterward.

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this will drag on till 2021.
It's come to the point Dallas should let him walk after the up coming season.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I pointed this out in the other thread but I'm pretty sure Dallas has already offered Dak more money than Mahomes will get over the next 5 years. If Dak won't sign it, there really isn't much Dallas can do.

Dallas can not get Dak an exclusive tag ever again. Its really working against them. There isn't a team out there that would offer Dak significantly more than Dallas has already offered him. The tag just has Dallas negotiating against itself.

cristglo

Reaction score
A major mistake by BOTH sides NOT to get this done by July 15.......I'm blaming everyone involved. Makes no sense at all.......IMO

Have to agree Hawkeye Its not looking good on both sides IMO. Neither side willing to budge on the year part. With everything going on in the league now I just dont see the cap situation being friendly to both sides. The way its looking that NCCA might be pushing back their season till spring. If this happens it will be tough on players not getting that big pay day and Teams Not having the space to sign any players. This could get very complicated lol
Im at the point just sign him to 4 years Geeez lol

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
You need to think of the McCarthy angle. If you sign Prescott to a long term deal you now have handcuffed your head coach. McCarthy had a rough relationship with Rodgers and everyone knew what he had at QB.

Go with the tag and let's see how this year plays out for Prescott, McCarthy, and Dallas.

Don't worry about the market and price. This will always be worked out.
Great post, I hope this is what happens. But I think they will get a last minute deal done. I hope I'm wrong.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah you're giving him far too much credit. If McCarthy went 5-11 next season he'd have one foot out the door. He does not have Jerry by the balls like Garrett did. I'd even go as far as to say Dak's job is more secure than McCarthy's is at this point. McCarthy was signed here with him knowing Dak would be his quarterback. If he had a issue with that he wouldn't have been here.

They don't have a contract with Dak. One of his feet is out the door.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I will say this right now, McCarthy will be here longer than Prescott.

If Dallas falls on it's face, it is Prescott that will absolutely be gone.

Prescott isn't McCarthy's guy. McCarthy has until he chooses his guy and doesn't win that he will be shown the door.

I can't believe you said McCarthy is irrelevant. That's just ridiculous. If that's the case, you just don't see the whole picture.

Then why would they offer Dak a reportedly 5-7 year deal? Remember the hold up reportedly is the Cowboys want a longer deal, Dak wants a shorter one.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I pointed this out in the other thread but I'm pretty sure Dallas has already offered Dak more money than Mahomes will get over the next 5 years. If Dak won't sign it, there really isn't much Dallas can do.

Dallas can not get Dak an exclusive tag ever again. Its really working against them. There isn't a team out there that would offer Dak significantly more than Dallas has already offered him. The tag just has Dallas negotiating against itself.
Dak is a top 10 quarterback in the league. He has a top agent in Todd France. Cooper got offered more money by Washington then the Cowboys signed him for. Dak’s agent would not be asking for the moon if he does not have another contract lined up. I bet by next season Washington and other teams will be looking to sign a quarterback to run their team. If Dak plays well and gets us to the playoffs, he might get offered a bigger contract then we can imagine. Isn’t Dak part Native American?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Dak is a top 10 quarterback in the league. He has a top agent in Todd France. Cooper got offered more money by Washington then the Cowboys signed him for. Dak’s agent would not be asking for the moon if he does not have another contract lined up. I bet by next season Washington and other teams will be looking to sign a quarterback to run their team. If Dak plays well and gets us to the playoffs, he might get offered a bigger contract then we can imagine. Isn’t Dak part Native American?

:lmao::lmao2:.........No, he isn't, his mother's white and father is black.

InTheZone

Reaction score
That's a stupid way to handle it. They should either trade him or let him go and go with Dalton that way they can have a good draft pick and get a QB of the the future in next years draft if they aren't sold on Dak.
Have 2 starting QBs for a year at 40 mil is a great bargain and insurance. Maybe they learned from the mistake of a similar situation when Dak came along.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Because why sign him for 40 million year or two from now when you can sign him for 35-37 million now? Because had they signed him two years ago they could've got him for even cheaper.
This is assuming you believe he is 100% an offense carrying franchise QB where defenses focus on him first and everyone else last.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I will say this right now, McCarthy will be here longer than Prescott.

If Dallas falls on it's face, it is Prescott that will absolutely be gone.

Prescott isn't McCarthy's guy. McCarthy has until he chooses his guy and doesn't win that he will be shown the door.

I can't believe you said McCarthy is irrelevant. That's just ridiculous. If that's the case, you just don't see the whole picture.

Yeah see I think this is the issue some of you guys are having. McCarthy is not Parcells lol. He doesn't have a "guy" here.

I don't see a scenario where McCarthy is here and Dak isn't. If we suck they will completely start over without McCarthy and Dak. If they're good.....they will be linked together.

And I said McCarthy is irrelevant into this discussion. McCarthy is not in control of the personnel of this team. At least not yet anyway.

I think the Jones's have once again fooled some fans here......

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Have 2 starting QBs for a year at 40 mil is a great bargain and insurance. Maybe they learned from the mistake of a similar situation when Dak came along.
I mean I guess that's a way to look at it but I look at it if Dak isn't in my plans I can use that 40 million to go after Clowney or trade for Jamal Adams or someone.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
So tell me if the Cowboys end up with a 12-4 or 11-5 record and get into the playoffs which means they will draft toward the end of the round, just who will this QB be? And then In 2021 Prescott and the Cowboys start off 4-1 or 5-1 just when would this golden replacement start? I mean if you can speculate one way shouldn't others be able to speculate another way?

Well obviously by my post i don't expect to finish 12-4 or 11-5 and yes you are free to speculate in any way you like

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
So teams that think they have a star player don't apply the tag 2 years in a row.? Gee I remember Lawrence getting tagged in 2018 and playing on that tag and then got tagged again for 2019 but just days later sign his long term contract. Tell me when did Jerry and Stephen tell you that they really don't want Prescott? Those that don't like Prescott will use any rationale that gets Prescott out of Dallas even if there is nothing said by anyone in the Cowboys organization to support that rationale. Before you jump back with me being some big Prescott fan, I'm not but I also don't think he's anywhere close to being as bad as those that want to get rid of Prescott do.

I did preface my quote by saying teams that think they have a franchise QB. Did i not?