Can Cowboys build a championship caliber team without a HOF caliber QB?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Can the Cowboys? Sure. But WILL the Cowboys? Well, I think the chances of landing an elite QB are slim, which means we would need to build a team capable of doing it without an elite QB. That would require at least a decent to good offense and an elite defense.
The Cowboys FO has not shown the will nor ability to build that kind of defense. We've had a pretty decent offense a few times and a pretty decent defense at times, but never an elite defense. The FO seems too focused on offense to build the kind of defense needed to carry the team to a Super Bowl.
So WILL the Cowboys? Anything is possible, but blame the FO and color me skeptical.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
When we look back in history the teams which have success without a HOF caliber QB most have done so with Elite defenses . Some needed a generational type #1 defense .

And some still had a QB who was average to above average talent which they didn’t need to carry them . He was enough to move the offense, make big plays when needed and most importantly not give up the ball costing them better opportunities to win.

There’s been several throughout history. Do we think we can build that type of team ? If not then we must find a QB who can carry a less than great team. Unfortunately there’s only maybe a handful or less at anytime.

Which scenario better suits our organization?
Idk why people think Jerry hasn’t given players and coaches what they need to win a trophy. Every yr media and ex players are the one hyping up this team. Jerry has done his job every yr. Players and coaches choke. Idk how anybody can blame players for the gameplan these coaches put together last yr vs go. Especially quinn

kskboys

Reaction score
Great point....Therefore Prescott is hypothetically 3 more wins in the playoffs to becoming a HOF Caliber QB if Jerry and Stephen invest effectively in FA.

Dak Haters hypothetically want Jerry and Stephen to LUCK into a Draft pick, Trade for or pay a contract for a HOF caliber QB and invest effectively in FA.

You can't make this stuff up...Dak Hate is negligent :lmao2: :lmao2:
Dak hate? Talk about agenda drivel.

Chasing6

Reaction score
When we look back in history the teams which have success without a HOF caliber QB most have done so with Elite defenses . Some needed a generational type #1 defense .

And some still had a QB who was average to above average talent which they didn’t need to carry them . He was enough to move the offense, make big plays when needed and most importantly not give up the ball costing them better opportunities to win.

There’s been several throughout history. Do we think we can build that type of team ? If not then we must find a QB who can carry a less than great team. Unfortunately there’s only maybe a handful or less at anytime.

I know they can't win with an athlete pretending to be a QB.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

You still refuse to dispute Kurt Warner and Cole Beasley's analysis on Dak's two playoff INTs. You can't blame the QB for others' failures or mistakes thar contributed to those INTs. That's not fair. That's like blaming a QB for a lost fumble in the backfield while ignoring the snap was snapped way over his head to begin with.

kskboys

Reaction score
Idk why people think Jerry hasn’t given players and coaches what they need to win a trophy. Every yr media and ex players are the one hyping up this team. Jerry has done his job every yr. Players and coaches choke. Idk how anybody can blame players for the gameplan these coaches put together last yr vs go. Especially quinn
No he hasn't. Not even close.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You still refuse to dispute Kurt Warner and Cole Beasley's analysis on Dak's two playoff INTs. You can't blame the QB for others' failures or mistakes thar contributed to those INTs. That's not fair. That's like blaming a QB for a lost fumble in the backfield while ignoring the snap was snapped way over his head to begin with.
I’m not totally blaming our QB. No one else has come away with that as my intention. It was a total team turd effort.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jethro has not put together as good of team as some of the others going deeper in the playoffs. I certainly wouldn’t place ahead of SF, KC, Buff or Balt for example.

Adreme

Reaction score
Jethro has not put together as good of team as some of the others going deeper in the playoffs. I certainly wouldn’t place ahead of SF, KC, Buff or Balt for example.
Going to ask an honest question: Allen is great, and Diggs was a top 5 WR, but who else on that roster is really an elite player?

I get the Chiefs: Mahomes, Kelce, couple good/great OLine, Chris Jones, 2 great CBs. I get Baltimore: Lamar, Andrews, again couple very good OLine players, Smith, Hamilton, Humphrey, Flowers, and a DLinemdn whose name I can’t spell. I get the 49ers: 2 great WRs, Trent Williams, Kittle, CMac, Bosa, Wagner, Ward, and other very good defenders. I just don’t see that talent on the Bills.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Going to ask an honest question: Allen is great, and Diggs was a top 5 WR, but who else on that roster is really an elite player?

I get the Chiefs: Mahomes, Kelce, couple good/great OLine, Chris Jones, 2 great CBs. I get Baltimore: Lamar, Andrews, again couple very good OLine players, Smith, Hamilton, Humphrey, Flowers, and a DLinemdn whose name I can’t spell. I get the 49ers: 2 great WRs, Trent Williams, Kittle, CMac, Bosa, Wagner, Ward, and other very good defenders. I just don’t see that talent on the Bills.
It’s Allen that keeps them near the top and such a tough out in the playoffs. Besides Mahomes there’s not another QB I’d rather have.

Adreme

Reaction score
It’s Allen that keeps them near the top and such a tough out in the playoffs. Besides Mahomes there’s not another QB I’d rather have.
Yes but that kinda emphasizes how weak they have been at putting together a team and why they don’t belong in the same vein as the other orgs that have built great teams. They had 2 great players and traded 1, whereas these other teams have half a dozen.

kskboys

Reaction score
Unless Burrows could stay on the field. And if Stroud continues.

IDK, man, I'm fascinated to see what Harbaugh makes of Herbert. Herbert is cerebral w/ a great arm, is it the coaching that's been holding him back? And since the great championship loss to KC, Allen really hasn't been all that. Man, how is he still getting fanfare for that 3 years later? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

kskboys

Reaction score

Matt Milano, Micah Hyde, Daquan Jones

You make a great point. BUFF is not a stacked team.

Qcard

Reaction score
I hope you make more sense than this when you speak to people face to face.
I am 6' 3" ....it's usually face to hairline :laugh: :laugh:

As for Dak Haters, I usually point down at them and laugh hysterically :bow: :bow: :lmao: :lmao:

ArtClink

Reaction score

We can't win until the Jones cartel can build a great roster on both sides of the ball. The defense is the main reason we haven't made any noise in the playoffs in decades.

We've had Romo and we've had Dak and it really didn't make any difference because our defense is a paper tiger.

Our defense is the reason we lost in the playoffs against:
  1. Green Bay last season
  2. Green Bay after the Dez catch bad call (4:58 still left in the game but our defense completely folded)
  3. The Seattle fumbled snap FG playoff game (if defense forces a punt, we get a final possession with great field position)
  4. The home playoff loss v Green Bay (Dak had better stats than Rogers, but defense couldn't stop 4th and 35)
  5. The Rams away game loss where defense could not stop the run
  6. Minnesota div round game in Romo era (defense was awful)

Qcard

Reaction score
We can't win until the Jones cartel can build a great roster on both sides of the ball. The defense is the main reason we haven't made any noise in the playoffs in decades.

We've had Romo and we've had Dak and it really didn't make any difference because our defense is a paper tiger.

Our defense is the reason we lost in the playoffs against:
  1. Green Bay last season
  2. Green Bay after the Dez catch bad call (4:58 still left in the game but our defense completely folded)
  3. The Seattle fumbled snap FG playoff game (if defense forces a punt, we get a final possession with great field position)
  4. The home playoff loss v Green Bay (Dak had better stats than Rogers, but defense couldn't stop 4th and 35)
  5. The Rams away game loss where defense could not stop the run
  6. Minnesota div round game in Romo era (defense was awful)
:hammer: Thank you!!

Romo and Dak have had awful plays in the playoffs but in general have performed well enough to win 7-8 playoff games between the two.

The Defenses have been Historically Bad in Tony and Dak playoff lossesS