Can DJ Moore be an effective 1 WR in the NFL?

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I still think Moore will be available at 50. If not him then Chark. I don’t see a gang of receivers flying off the board in round 2

DFWJC

Reaction score
I absolutely do. When guys are clumped together like Sutton, kirk, and moore, GM's and scouts look for any reason to separate them. Why do you think John Ross went 9 overall? Why did Will Fuller go in the first round? Because of the underwear Olympics.
But that was a huge mistake. John Ross going 9th overall.
Lets go ahead and put DJ Chark ahead of Moore then
And anyway, Kirk had a great day too and was already ahead of Moore.
Dont get me wrong, I like Moore

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because hes a first round player. After ridley, hes the next best option. Teams have been scared of the big receiver that cant run because of guys like Benjamin and Treadwell. Teams want faster better route runners. Sutton has the length and lacks the speed. Kirk can play on the outside but Moore is the better option, more explosive and faster. Gallup and Moore are the same but Moore ran a whole tenth faster. Same goes for Washington. Moore clearly separated himself as the #2 wr
Here’s another point about receivers. Having a clear #1 and #2 receiver and a slot receiver is overrated. Look at the teams who were in the SB. Who were the clear #1’s for either team?

What’s most important IMO, is to have an effective receiving corps. It could be a committee. Finding a Michael Irvin, Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones is very difficult. Those guys are rare. If you don’t have a prototype #1, just build a strong, reliable crop of receivers. You don’t have to have a star.

NolanRyan77

Reaction score
But that was a huge mistake. John Ross going 9th overall.
Lets go ahead and put DJ Chark ahead of Moore then
Mistake or not he went 9, because of the combine. If chark went above moore I wouldn't be surprised. Not to say I would do that, but at least a GM or scout could justify it.

NolanRyan77

Reaction score
Here’s another point about receivers. Having a clear #1 and #2 receiver and a slot receiver is overrated. Look at the teams who were in the SB. Who were the clear #1’s for either team?

What’s most important IMO, is to have an effective receiving corps. It could be a committee. Finding a Michael Irvin, Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones is very difficult. Those guys are rare. If you don’t have a prototype #1, just build a strong, reliable crop of receivers. You don’t have to have a star.
Agreeed. That was my point in another post. Everyone wants to cut Dez but complain above the receivers in this class and that they are "slot" guys. Julio Jones is a dime a dozen. Beggers cant be choosers.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Mistake or not he went 9, because of the combine. If chark went above moore I wouldn't be surprised. Not to say I would do that, but at least a GM or scout could justify it.
My point is not whether or not it might happen--there is the occassional stupid unnecessary reach, as we've seen--the point is should it happen.
I currently dont think so.
The value would be so much greater to get a guy in his same tier 2-3 rounds later

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Gallup at 50 would be dope
I don’t see it. Cowboys are reactionary and listen to critics all of whom have said we lack speed. Gallup isn’t a speed guy so I doubt we draft him. Chark or Moore is what I see. Then Jerry can say we (addressed speed on offense).

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreeed. That was my point in another post. Everyone wants to cut Dez but complain above the receivers in this class and that they are "slot" guys. Julio Jones is a dime a dozen. Beggers cant be choosers.
The caution flag I raise every draft is this: WRs are the easiest position people to overrate. Just ask Jerry Jones, whose 25+ years of being goo-goo eyed over a WR that’s gonna win us a SB, is a healthy reminder to not get over- enamored with a guy who catches passes when you’re trying to build a whole team.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I still think Moore will be available at 50. If not him then Chark. I don’t see a gang of receivers flying off the board in round 2

I think he is going on a OBJ drive up the draft board and we loved OBJ in the draft and would have drafted him.Moore is a thicker version of OBJ but he is that good of a route runner yet.

NolanRyan77

Reaction score
My point is not whether or not it might happen--there is the occassional stupid unnecessary reach, as we've seen--the point is should it happen.
I currently dont think so.
The value would be so much greater to get a guy in his same tier 2-3 rounds later
who is in that tier?

NolanRyan77

Reaction score
I don’t see it. Cowboys are reactionary and listen to critics all of whom have said we lack speed. Gallup isn’t a speed guy so I doubt we draft him. Chark or Moore is what I see. Then Jerry can say we (addressed speed on offense).
They want to make this team dak friendly. IMO they prefer route running and hands to speed. Dak doesn't throw a very good deep ball and our offense does not suite that type of speed demon receiver in my mind. We are more of a YAC type of offense

NolanRyan77

Reaction score
The caution flag I raise every draft is this: WRs are the easiest position people to overrate. Just ask Jerry Jones, whose 25+ years of being goo-goo eyed over a WR that’s gonna win us a SB, is a healthy reminder to not get over- enamored with a guy who catches passes when you’re trying to build a whole team.
Absolutely. Just depends who people are willing to miss on. I think teams would rather miss on the speedy route runners than the jump ball guys.

DFWJC

Reaction score
who is in that tier?
I realize you have him separated now. That's your right. No problem.
I think, depending on what teams are looking for, Moore could be in a tier of 4-5 others. Clearly you think it Ridley and him, then a next tier with Kirk or others.
Thats all opinion and a waste of time to debate.
Just giving my opinion.
Like I said in another thread, if I continue dissecting these guys, they may seperate further. Moore does not look a tier better than Sutton, Kirk, Washington, Pettis, and maybe Chark right now. To me
Jmo

NolanRyan77

Reaction score
I realize you have him separated now. That's your right. No problem.
I think, depending on what teams are looking for, Moore could be in a tier of 4-5 others. Clearly you think it Ridley and him, then a next tier with Kirk or others.
Thats all opinion and a waste of time to debate.
Just giving my opinion.
Like I said in another thread, if I continue dissecting these guys, they may seperate further. Moore does not look a tier better than Sutton, Kirk, Washington, Pettis, and maybe others right now. To me
Jmo
Yeah like you said differing opinions. Based on tape I can see them all being in the same tier, now with numbers being involved that's where I have them separated.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I think we go HR for Derwin James or add Wynn or Hernandez because once you get past those players there's a significant drop off at the position and WR we can land a good one at 50.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I hope you’re right. I would geek out. He’s easily my favorite player in the draft and we need him.

Moving Byron back to CB, and Woods being more of a FS, SS seems to much of a need to not go up and get the best SS by a large margin.

With that being said he could easily jump up draft boards to a spot that wouldn't make sense to trade up for. If he is there around 13 or so I think you really need to consider it.

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Moving Byron back to CB, and Woods being more of a FS, SS seems to much of a need to not go up and get the best SS by a large margin.

With that being said he could easily jump up draft boards to a spot that wouldn't make sense to trade up for. If he is there around 13 or so I think you really need to consider it.
I know what the trade chart says, but what do you think it would realistically take to jump up to 13? Anything other than 50 is worth Derwin, IMO.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I know what the trade chart says, but what do you think it would realistically take to jump up to 13? Anything other than 50 is worth Derwin, IMO.

Really depends on how teams feel the strength of the draft is. The trades early on in the draft can inflate or deflate trade value based on the value that's received. Also when you factor you could have 5 QB's go by pick 19 and there isn't a ton of top tier OT, CB's, WR's , TE you wonder if a 3rd could get it done or maybe slightly more with a comp pick added.