Can DJ Moore be an effective 1 WR in the NFL?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you are mistaking long speed and catch up speed with CB's. you can not sit here and tell me kirk and ridley have better long speed than moore and not have any proof. Brown, Fitz, and Rice all were damn good route runners. Wr's have a lot of different ways to create separation whether than be a big body, speed, or great route running ability.
The forty is not considered a measure of long speed.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Doesn't have the ideal length I like, but plays a little bigger than his size.

Checks all the other boxes so I think he'll be fine.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Literally when it comes to football the 40 is the only thing that would even be considered the test of long speed. I mean maybe a 60 yard dash but that does not get recorded or tested for. Im not sure why you are so shocked. If running 40 yards in a straight line is not considered a test of long speed then what is?
Runnin faster then the other guy is not the true test of speed. The only way to truly see someone’s speed is to see how many reps they put up at bench press. You just wouldn’t understand and you should feel ashamed for bring up the combines speed test as the way to test a players speed. :p

RandyOh

Reaction score
Only with you and a few other guys. That's fine, btw.

Im not saying your For sure wrong, I'm just saying I think the VAST majority disagree thats he's the 1st or 2nd best WR. You think an underwear olympics day pushed him ahead of Sutton, Kirk and others. Im not so sure the NFL GMs will agree.
Dane burglar had him as his #2 WR before the Combine. I hope it doesn’t take someone like Mel Kiper Jr. saying he’s a top 3 WR for you to agree.

kskboys

Reaction score
I absolutely do. When guys are clumped together like Sutton, kirk, and moore, GM's and scouts look for any reason to separate them. Why do you think John Ross went 9 overall? Why did Will Fuller go in the first round? Because of the underwear Olympics.
Ross is a poor example, as he rose strictly due to speed, and has looked awful busty up to this point. Might be mostly injury related, but you often get that w/ little skinny guys.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Dane burglar had him as his #2 WR before the Combine. I hope it doesn’t take someone like Mel Kiper Jr. saying he’s a top 3 WR for you to agree.
Nah. I listen to others but go by my own observation.
And I do realize that out of the 30 or so analysts out there, Brugler was the (only?) one that actually had him that high.
He might even be right.
It's not like I'm down on Moore or anything.

I was curious, so I looked up a handful of ratings on Moore--but still knowing we make our own calls.

here are some:
62nd best overall
47th
38th
102nd
93rd
54th
39th
78th
114th

Obviously, the combine will help him and others some

Last edited:

reddyuta

Reaction score
And I do realize that out of the 30 or so analysts out there, Brugler was the (only?) one that actually had him that high.
He might even be right.

I was curious, so I looked up a handful of ratings on Moore--but still knowing we make our own calls.

here are some:
62nd best overall
47th
38th
102nd
93rd
54th
39th
78th
114th

wait 2 weeks,those rankings will change a lot.

RandyOh

Reaction score
He might even be right.

here are some:
62nd best overall
47th
38th
102nd
93rd
54th
39th
78th
114th
Those are gonna change. Brugler was the first to really talk about him. After he did the others started to mock him day 2.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Ross is a poor example, as he rose strictly due to speed, and has looked awful busty up to this point. Might be mostly injury related, but you often get that w/ little skinny guys.
But Ross had better stats than Moore and a far better 40 time.

The point is that just because a player gets taken earlier due to a combine performance (or an NFL GM getting infatuated) does not mean that player actually should have been moved up that much.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Those are gonna change. Brugler was the first to really talk about him. After he did the others started to mock him day 2.
I agree, he'll for sure move up some.
It's just a very deep class for rounds 2-4, and I don't see the reason to take a guy that isn't way better than that large group at 19th overall.
Time will tell though. He's certainly a likeable prospect.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's just a very deep class for rounds 2-4, and I don't see the reason to take a guy that isn't way better than that large group at 19th overall.
I think alot of those round 2-4 are on the move. Three WR's, Moore, Sutton and St.Brown that would considered Day 2 prospects are now being talked about as 1st rounders. DJ Chark is moving up alot as well

RandyOh

Reaction score
He was pegged as a 2nd round prospect when everyone thought he was 5’9”,would run a 4.55 40, and a slot only WR.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think alot of those round 2-4 are on the move. Three WR's, Moore, Sutton and St.Brown that would considered Day 2 prospects are now being talked about as 1st rounders. DJ Chark is moving up alot as well
I think Sutton was always in the 1st round conversation.
Some (not most) even had him as the top WR.

I just pulled up about a dozen mocks...fwiw.
None had Moore or St Brown, but several had Sutton and Kirks and a few had Washington.
The only place I really hear a lot of Moore going in round one is from 3-4 guys in this forum....and for all we know, you guys may end up right. I certainly never hear St Brown in that conversation anywhere else. not even close.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He was pegged as a 2nd round prospect when everyone thought he was 5’9”,would run a 4.55 40, and a slot only WR.
You mean 5'11". I never saw 5'9" :laugh:
And even before the combine his common range of 40 times was from 4.45-4.6...but I guess many split the difference and assume about 4.5 to 4.55

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Sutton was always in the 1st round conversation.
Some (not most) even had him as the top WR.

I just pulled up about a dozen mocks...fwiw.
None had Moore or St Brown, but several had Sutton and Kirks and a few had Washington.
The only place I really hear a lot of Moore going in round one is from 3-4 guys in this forum....and for all we know, you guys may end up right. I certainly never hear St Brown in that conversation anywhere else. not even close.
Alot of projections are going to change after the combine. This WR class as a whole is going to move up. St. Brown was talked about as a 2nd round prospect before. But with his combine performance, alot of mocks going forward are going to have him in the first.

After the combine, I dont think you will see DJ Moore mocked outside the first again

RandyOh

Reaction score
You mean 5'11". I never saw 5'9" :laugh:
And even before the combine his common range of 40 times was from 4.45-4.6...but I guess many split the difference and assume about 4.5 to 4.55
They said on the draft show their was talk in Indy that he could come in at 5’9”. Don’t see the humor in that

DFWJC

Reaction score
Alot of projections are going to change after the combine. This WR class as a whole is going to move up. St. Brown was talked about as a 2nd round prospect before. But with his combine performance, alot of mocks going forward are going to have him in the first.

After the combine, I dont think you will see DJ Moore mocked outside the first again
:laugh: Now that sounds like a friendly wager.

I think a TON of mocks will still have him outside round 1. I even think it'll be more than half..maybe even 70-80%

So if you want to make that bet that he will not be mocked--not even once--outside the 1st.
I'm in!