Twitter: Can Nahson Wright be a 2021 starter?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
BTW....where's the Brown starting talk coming from? This Awuzie position was an open competition.....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know may sound crazy but it's not as much a reach as we think. Remember former Cowboy legend, Everson Walls? All he did was made plays from day one. He had instincts, moxie, and other intangibles never showed on his scouting report but he balled big-time when it counted.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...s-nahshon-wright-2021-nfl-draft-oregon-state/

Notice this from the article .........in other words, what we are seeing this kid now isn't luck. He's always made plays once he's on the field. Brugler gave him 7th round/priority FA grade. No idea about his grade, but we are seeing the play-making skills in practice so far. Honestly, don't be surprised THIS KID starts opposite Diggs instead of Joesph.

Wright bounced around to begin his college career before finding his way to the Beavers. Playing just 18 games in his collegiate career, Wright led the team in interceptions and passes defensed during his two seasons.

What makes me smile about all this talk regarding Wright is all based on his work in OTAs for gawd’s sake- in drills while wearing shorts and t-shirts, not pads. Hey I hope Nashon Wright is great but none of us have any idea what this kid can or can’t do yet.

The other thing is Everson Walls turned heads in TC. There were no OTAs back in those days.

quickccc

Reaction score
I know may sound crazy but it's not as much a reach as we think. Remember former Cowboy legend, Everson Walls? All he did was made plays from day one. He had instincts, moxie, and other intangibles never showed on his scouting report but he balled big-time when it counted.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...s-nahshon-wright-2021-nfl-draft-oregon-state/

Notice this from the article .........in other words, what we are seeing this kid now isn't luck. He's always made plays once he's on the field. Brugler gave him 7th round/priority FA grade. No idea about his grade, but we are seeing the play-making skills in practice so far. Honestly, don't be surprised THIS KID starts opposite Diggs instead of Joesph.

Wright bounced around to begin his college career before finding his way to the Beavers. Playing just 18 games in his collegiate career, Wright led the team in interceptions and passes defensed during his two seasons.

Well, let put it another way.......Diggs started week one as a rookie. He was drafted only around ahead of Wright and correct me if I'm wrong but don't recall him making more plays in practice and/or camp than we've seen or heard from Wright.

-While i am glad to hear any good and encouraging reports on any of our rookies early on, ..i'm trying to curve my enthusiasm for making out starters off just a limited camp course.

- Diggs also did not have the rookie or minicamps that Wright is benefiting from via the Covid outbreak last year.

- Also how much does different (far different ?) DC's and schemes play a part of this too, also do we know the pluses vs minuses of Wright's camps too ?

- i heard on one of the podcasts at that time (Talking Cowboys with Stanback, etc) that Wright was surrendering some vertical catches too. (including rookie WR Simi)
and we never know if Wright is still having to catch on to coverage techniques, cover schemes also.

- And there's not a lot of contact in these shorts/no pad jerseys minicamps .. vs the pads on and grind that's gonna go down come training camp time.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What makes me smile about all this talk regarding Wright is all based on his work in OTAs for gawd’s sake- in drills while wearing shorts and t-shirts, not pads. Hey I hope Nashon Wright is great but none of us have any idea what this kid can or can’t do yet.

The other thing is Everson Walls turned heads in TC. There were no OTAs back in those days.

You know people will frantically defend any decision this team makes with everything they have.

I think I do know what he can't do and that's turn and run with NFL receivers because of his comically freakish build. Mukuamu can't either for the same reason. This is Marinelli getting to make draft picks all over again. They shouldn't have been selected.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You know people will frantically defend any decision this team makes with everything they have.

I think I do know what he can't do and that's turn and run with NFL receivers because of his comically freakish build. Mukuamu can't either for the same reason. This is Marinelli getting to make draft picks all over again. They shouldn't have been selected.

Would make sense if Dallas was going to be running primarily man coverage but in zone they are not being forced to run with a WR across the field.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Of course ... NOT!
Wait until full camp starts.
Welcome to the NFL ... ROOKIE!
He'll play in certain packages, but he's not going to star this year.
At least that's my prediction, which is worth a penny at your 5 and dime store. ;)

quickccc

Reaction score
First, it's why I ask the question but many have already penciled Joseph the starter opposite Diggs obviously coz draft grade. I'm simply saying so far this kid is translating the playmaking from college. BTW.....practicing against our own WRS is a pretty decent test.

Were Cooper and Gallup in the camps ? i know Amari did not attend per surgery recovering, i don't recall much mention of Gallup.
we saw Lamb earlier on via the big catch vs Brown, but i dunno if he was limited later on.

It will be a better anticipated test and challenge and experience for the likes of Wright and Joseph come training camp and preseason games.

links18

Reaction score
What, not expecting any injuries in the secondary this year? I'd say he is a lock to start at some point this year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no idea. Even 1st round picks aren't always guaranteed. Walls is an example that a person doesn't have to be a top pick to become a starter, , and even with players that got less consideration coming out of college than Wright, but whether it can happen with Wright is still very much unknown. College results and scouting reports can help, but ultimately the evaluation has to be based on practice and game results at the NFL level.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
He could, I wouldn't bet money on it this year, but if he makes plays in training camp and preseason, he could get on the field for week one.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Wow, tap the brakes!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If we could use him in a rotation after the bye week and put him in favorable positions he'll look good. If they throw him in like they had to do Diggs, it'll look rough at times like most DB's.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Time will tell. Obviously it could be a long shot, but, I'm not going to be mad at hearing that he is performing well in OTAs. OTAs or not, it's nice to hear a 3rd round pick is turning heads.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
Well Dak was a fourth rnd pick who started so anything is possible. We just gotta wait n see

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Nah-son let’s put the anointing oil away. At least til training camp.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I agree, Wright caught some attention in the OTA and now he has to finish the deal and keep those eyes on him through out camp and pre season. As far as I'm concered the draft is over and I really do not care where any player was drafted it is now that counts and it is
time to go out and prove it. Wright has to earn it just like any player on this team.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Of course he could start.

We have Diggs and a bunch of guys. Whoever steps up is going to get that outside spot.

Injury is the only chance. He’s got a 2nd round pick the coaching staff loves. Then two veterans.

OTAs don’t mean diddly.