Twitter: Can Nahson Wright be a 2021 starter?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Still ticks me off to think we could of had Micheal Carter....instead we took this project. He better be the next Brandon Browner.

jnday

Reaction score
No.

Good talk.
How can I be the only poster that has given you a “like” for this incredibly thought out , no nonsense, straight to the point, post? This board needs more post like this that totally eliminates all the needless back and forth bickering.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I know may sound crazy but it's not as much a reach as we think. Remember former Cowboy legend, Everson Walls? All he did was made plays from day one. He had instincts, moxie, and other intangibles never showed on his scouting report but he balled big-time when it counted.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...s-nahshon-wright-2021-nfl-draft-oregon-state/

Notice this from the article .........in other words, what we are seeing this kid now isn't luck. He's always made plays once he's on the field. Brugler gave him 7th round/priority FA grade. No idea about his grade, but we are seeing the play-making skills in practice so far. Honestly, don't be surprised THIS KID starts opposite Diggs instead of Joesph.

Wright bounced around to begin his college career before finding his way to the Beavers. Playing just 18 games in his collegiate career, Wright led the team in interceptions and passes defensed during his two seasons.

I get loads of satisfaction from this because of the explosion the pick made

jnday

Reaction score
Nope……Joseph is the favorite to start opposite diggs.
With his very limited college experience, I don’t see how Joseph can be favored to start anywhere this season. I didn’t really have an opinion on Joseph until researching him after the draft and seeing that he only played 15 college games. Putting his attitude and problems with coaching/authority aside, , he just has very little game experience. I think he has physical ability, but like I think he was a reach and a big gamble for a second round pick. A starting safety could have been picked there that didn’t have these problems.

cristglo

Reaction score
First, it's why I ask the question but many have already penciled Joseph the starter opposite Diggs obviously coz draft grade. I'm simply saying so far this kid is translating the playmaking from college. BTW.....practicing against our own WRS is a pretty decent test.
These CB practicing against our WR is truly a blessing and can do nothing but help improve their game. Its real exciting to hear some of these players ball out. Im a little hesitant on all these overly optimistic reports because history has shown us all that every year there is players who pops out in camp only to either not make the team or you never hear from them again. LOL
Here is to I hope they get this one right!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Nahshon is a good bet to be able to provide us with a good backup at some point this season. It may or may not come in week one but at some point thereafter, it doesn't seem far fetched that he'd be able to hold his own in providing good support in a pinch. All he lacks is the experience and that should become more comfortable for him by mid season or so. The safety spot should see one of our young studs coming into his own, once camp is in the history books. This has been a favorable offseason, in terms of our backups there. The cream always rises to the top and the talent is evidently there to be counted upon, if and when they're called upon. I think we're fortunate to have Dan Quinn in charge of our defense, as well.

TC should reveal all that the coaches need to know, by the time TC comes to a timely conclusion. I honestly believe we're in the best shape we've been in for many years, as far as our overall depth is concerned. Things are seemingly shaping up quite well, all things considered. Hopefully, the OL will hold up well health-wise, if lady luck cooperates. The OL depth appears ready to do what's asked of some experienced backups, if need be. It seems a promising scenario for the OL to do well in terms of its depth.

Last edited:

DanA

Reaction score
I wish the kid the best but I’d pump the brakes on a Todd Archer puff piece foreshadowing Wright as a rookie starter.

Let’s just wait and see, in saying that, the fact that even puff piece articles are being written is certainly better than not being written.

BigD_95

Reaction score
My guess is Joseph is the only one that has a shot of starting week 1 over Brown and I hope that happens. Brown isnt a starter or at least shouldnt be.

All the talk about Wright is nice but this in mini camp and I think he needs a season to develop more and get a little stronger for the NFL.

blueblood70

Reaction score
people are "Wright" Tap the brakes lets wait until some real action comes in TC /PS games..

how will he even play against the rams or is it the chargers we will practice against in oxnard?

good news on controversial draft pick is always good, i like it as i hate the draft day debbie downers prejudging players but i won't be impressed until i see it in live action games..

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
A starting safety could have been picked there that didn’t have these problems.

I don’t know about a starting safety in the 2021 draft. It was a really weak draft for a safety. Moehrig was one of the better ones of that weak draft and he had an injury red flag. Not sure if any of those safeties available in round two are even better than what is currently on the team or even better than Mukuamu or Coyle.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
By mid season, I bet Brown starts unless Joseph blows up in training camp. Think the Covid quarantine hurt his chances to start the season but like normal the "leader" Brown will get burned 4-5x a game and they'll be tired of it by game 3 or 4. LOL

Why would they start Brown unless Joseph tanks? I think Joseph would have to play bad for that to happen. Again, too much gets taken out of OTA's with these predictions.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
With his very limited college experience, I don’t see how Joseph can be favored to start anywhere this season. I didn’t really have an opinion on Joseph until researching him after the draft and seeing that he only played 15 college games. Putting his attitude and problems with coaching/authority aside, , he just has very little game experience. I think he has physical ability, but like I think he was a reach and a big gamble for a second round pick. A starting safety could have been picked there that didn’t have these problems.

Nahson Wright only played 18 games. So really the ONLY guy that has a shot to play over Joseph is Brown. My initial reaction during the draft was the exact one that you had.

CWR

Reaction score
What’s ironic is, the pick we all hated the most and thought was a reach is balling out.

Kid could have the biggest impact for us on defense for rookies (outside of Parsons obviously) and is turning heads.

Some kids take longer to make it all click. Hopefully it’s all clicking now.

It’ll be Brown outside and Lewis inside. Quinn will trust the vets to start

It's hilarious how little we know, yet we are so confident in our ignorance. Lol

waving monkey

Reaction score
its relative sure but Wright is making plays and I haven't read anything flattering about Fats. I'm sure Fats will work his way into shape but ........

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know may sound crazy but it's not as much a reach as we think. Remember former Cowboy legend, Everson Walls? All he did was made plays from day one. He had instincts, moxie, and other intangibles never showed on his scouting report but he balled big-time when it counted.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...s-nahshon-wright-2021-nfl-draft-oregon-state/

Notice this from the article .........in other words, what we are seeing this kid now isn't luck. He's always made plays once he's on the field. Brugler gave him 7th round/priority FA grade. No idea about his grade, but we are seeing the play-making skills in practice so far. Honestly, don't be surprised THIS KID starts opposite Diggs instead of Joesph.

Wright bounced around to begin his college career before finding his way to the Beavers. Playing just 18 games in his collegiate career, Wright led the team in interceptions and passes defensed during his two seasons.

At this point, I have to think this team lines Anthony Brown opposite Diggs on the outside.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm sure coaches are penciling in who the #1 units are as they get ready to head to Oxnard, once they get to Oxnard it falls to those who have been penciled in as #1 unit to hold the job or risk losing the job.

9darter

Reaction score
If he can be a 2021 starter? Sure.

If the competition is crap enough.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I'm just waiting to hear we are moving him to safety to help his development. You know it's coming....

:popcorn: