Twitter: Can Nahson Wright be a 2021 starter?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Injury is the only chance. He’s got a 2nd round pick the coaching staff loves. Then two veterans.

OTAs don’t mean diddly.

A corner standing out in OTA’s is one of the few positions it means diddly.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
N
3 CB's play real snaps. Your 4th plays less than 25% unless there is an injury. If one of the rookies works their way into the the top 3, then we are paying 1 of the vets a non rookie wage to play less than 25% of the snaps. No thanks. Both vets are mediocre and no real loss, but because Brown has starting experience he could probably get a 5th or a 6th. Which I'd take for him
No chance do they trade or cut their only veteran corner based on TC.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Brown, Diggs, and Lewis are the top three.

Money plays. Brown and Lewis are being paid millions this year.

Everyone else is fighting for Dime/Nick packages.
Unless they completely suck and Wright proves he is a class above in training camp and pre-season

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
What makes me smile about all this talk regarding Wright is all based on his work in OTAs for gawd’s sake- in drills while wearing shorts and t-shirts, not pads. Hey I hope Nashon Wright is great but none of us have any idea what this kid can or can’t do yet.

The other thing is Everson Walls turned heads in TC. There were no OTAs back in those days.
Its a youth movement with available job openings asap, no more overpriced vets collecting fat checks that didnt match production standing in the way.
So I guess thats what is spurning a rejuvenated interest, jerry is the greatest salesman on earth after all.
Wright has done everything we could ask from at this point on a positive note, so that is a good thing.
Would have been much more depressing if Wright came out day one of OTAs wearing a half shirt tied in a knot, exposing a very large belly or something like that.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Of course ... NOT!
Wait until full camp starts.
Welcome to the NFL ... ROOKIE!
He'll play in certain packages, but he's not going to star this year.
At least that's my prediction, which is worth a penny at your 5 and dime store. ;)
As long as Quinn remains DC on this team, draft picks like Wright will continue to amaze fans.

edit.. this is in positive context, no sarcasm
Watch how Quinn implements his scheme with his captains in Neal and Kazee leading the pre snap calls.
Quinn has some nice pieces to start with.

stiletto

Reaction score
Nope……Joseph is the favorite to start opposite diggs.

By mid season, I bet Brown starts unless Joseph blows up in training camp. Think the Covid quarantine hurt his chances to start the season but like normal the "leader" Brown will get burned 4-5x a game and they'll be tired of it by game 3 or 4. LOL

stiletto

Reaction score
I know may sound crazy but it's not as much a reach as we think. Remember former Cowboy legend, Everson Walls? All he did was made plays from day one. He had instincts, moxie, and other intangibles never showed on his scouting report but he balled big-time when it counted.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...s-nahshon-wright-2021-nfl-draft-oregon-state/

Notice this from the article .........in other words, what we are seeing this kid now isn't luck. He's always made plays once he's on the field. Brugler gave him 7th round/priority FA grade. No idea about his grade, but we are seeing the play-making skills in practice so far. Honestly, don't be surprised THIS KID starts opposite Diggs instead of Joesph.

Wright bounced around to begin his college career before finding his way to the Beavers. Playing just 18 games in his collegiate career, Wright led the team in interceptions and passes defensed during his two seasons.

Meh... winner of the under-wear olympics. We hear this EVERY season. This CB or WR was the hit of OTA's. They never do anything..

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Week 1 - no.

At some point - yes. But a better bet would be week one 2022.

Yeah. I believe at best they can spoonfeed him some snaps/series on the outside throughout the 2021 season and realistically hope for a major contribution in 2022.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
By mid season, I bet Brown starts unless Joseph blows up in training camp. Think the Covid quarantine hurt his chances to start the season but like normal the "leader" Brown will get burned 4-5x a game and they'll be tired of it by game 3 or 4. LOL
Joseph equals high potential but so very green.
Brown already knows this is his early gig.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I know may sound crazy but it's not as much a reach as we think. Remember former Cowboy legend, Everson Walls? All he did was made plays from day one. He had instincts, moxie, and other intangibles never showed on his scouting report but he balled big-time when it counted.

6-4, 183 doesn't sound like a player with enough bulk for when the hitting starts.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
That's exactly what I am thinkin'...
The vet presence has to come from some where, and while Brown gets disrespected by most, he still is the vet in the backfield like it or not.

T-RO

Reaction score
The Cowboys are hyping Nashon to get Joseph's attention, which they are already concerned that they don't have. My opinion.

stiletto

Reaction score
The vet presence has to come from some where, and while Brown gets disrespected by most, he still is the vet in the backfield like it or not.

Yup, completely agree.. He is the defacto leader because he is considered the "old guy" veteran. He's trying to embrace that but I've watched him play a few years, he is what he is.I don't hate Brown but he's just an average (maybe) Football player at his position. The ideal thing to happen would be for Joseph to take over fairly quickly once he "gets it"...Might take a few weeks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...s-nahshon-wright-2021-nfl-draft-oregon-state/

Notice this from the article .........in other words, what we are seeing this kid now isn't luck. He's always made plays once he's on the field. Brugler gave him 7th round/priority FA grade. No idea about his grade, but we are seeing the play-making skills in practice so far. Honestly, don't be surprised THIS KID starts opposite Diggs instead of Joesph.

Wright bounced around to begin his college career before finding his way to the Beavers. Playing just 18 games in his collegiate career, Wright led the team in interceptions and passes defensed during his two seasons.

The most likely starter opposite Diggs for game 1 is A.Brown.

Coaches lean towards veterans.

New coordinators are even more likely to lean towards veterans because it is hard to implement a new scheme with too many rookies on the field.

I thought that Wright was a good pick at the time and I'm happy about the good reports but I'll wait for padded practices before getting to excited about any new players.

Side Note: I also thought Joseph might have been the most talented CB in this draft. I don't know enough about his character issues to say if he was a good pick or not, but talent is not in question in my opinion.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
You know people will frantically defend any decision this team makes with everything they have.

I think I do know what he can't do and that's turn and run with NFL receivers because of his comically freakish build. Mukuamu can't either for the same reason. This is Marinelli getting to make draft picks all over again. They shouldn't have been selected.

At least he didn't score a 4 on wonderlic like Rob Ryan's pick

jnday

Reaction score
He has really impressed in OTAs, but there has been a tremendous n of OTA stars that didn’t make it out of preseason before they was cut. I think it is much too soon to even speculate about him even making the team at this point. I hope he can maintain his momentum during preseason and carry it over to getting significant playing time this year. Many said that he was a big reach considering his draft position, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he saw more playing time than Joseph. The DBs certainly need a couple of the rookies to contribute.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I rather wait till some preseason games have gone on, a blue-white scrimmage or something. However, I can easily see Wright starting or anybody else in the hunt for the most part.

Joseph has been in n out already if that continues all that's left is AB n Lewis, so yeah I can see it with Quinn preferring height/length.