Can the Cowboys afford any 40M QB?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That and the fact that Brady could have any time forced his hand, and got another deal with another team that was earth shattering.
But, it wasn't all about the money with Brady. With our guys... it is all about the money.

Brady has been giving the NFL a discount for over a decade. He just wants to win. He never squeezed NE either which allowed them to build a defense for Bill.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
This isn't about Prescott, it is about the team. It's not about establishing his worth. Or any QB's worth.

Do you think the Cowboys would be a championship caliber team with Mahomes or Watson? The two 40M QB's. Think Rodgers or Wilson at 35m and 33M would do it?

TB did what they did with a 25M QB considered the GOAT. KC got there with their QB still on his rookie deal. BAL and BUF got their with QB's on their rookie deals.

When NE was winning all those trophies, what were they paying their QB and why was that? Kraft even said Brady really has no choice meaning if he wanted to stay in NE and keep gathering jewelry, he had to be cooperative on the salary. Because Kraft as the owner understood Belichick the HC was all about the team.

The most successful HC in NFL history would not pay any QB 40M. He had the best and was willing to trade him if he didn't fit in the cap formula. He actually planned on doing that. There's a lesson to be learned there.

It doesn't matter what QB the Cowboys have, they cannot pay him that much of the cap because they are challenged in deciding what to pay other players. They are average team builders at best.

Because of how they distribute the cap, they have to be dead on in the draft, particularly on the D side. Are they? Are they even good in FA with the D? Paying any QB 40M only exacerbates what is already the problem along with being challenged with player evaluations.

The Dallas Cowboys are the prime example of what happens with a team paying too much to too many, it is feast and famine on the same team. And they will all stay hungry.

In the short run, the best thing they can do is get a rookie QB, keep Dalton and focus on the rest of the team. If they don't, the long run doesn't matter.

No, Dear Leader, we cannot. Especially a bus driver instead of a franchise QB.
Zack Wilson or Mac Jones!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He played on teams that were nothing special.

I think the majority of NFL teams share similar talent.

Coaching and QB play are what separates teams for the most part.

In recent years you’ll get the rare flash in the pan defense that can elevate a team as well but nobody consistently can play great defense with these rules.

Revisionist history. Brady' Super Bowl wins came with the following scoring defensive rankings

2001 #6
2003 #1
2004 #2
2014 #8
2016 #1
2018 #7

I'm sensing a patter here.. do you see it?

Let's check 2020 with the Bucs.

2020 #8

So the worst defense Brady has "dragged" to a title has been #8 twice? Maybe he switches jerseys and plays safety without our knowledge?

basel90

Reaction score
This isn't about Prescott, it is about the team. It's not about establishing his worth. Or any QB's worth.

Do you think the Cowboys would be a championship caliber team with Mahomes or Watson? The two 40M QB's. Think Rodgers or Wilson at 35m and 33M would do it?

TB did what they did with a 25M QB considered the GOAT. KC got there with their QB still on his rookie deal. BAL and BUF got their with QB's on their rookie deals.

When NE was winning all those trophies, what were they paying their QB and why was that? Kraft even said Brady really has no choice meaning if he wanted to stay in NE and keep gathering jewelry, he had to be cooperative on the salary. Because Kraft as the owner understood Belichick the HC was all about the team.

The most successful HC in NFL history would not pay any QB 40M. He had the best and was willing to trade him if he didn't fit in the cap formula. He actually planned on doing that. There's a lesson to be learned there.

It doesn't matter what QB the Cowboys have, they cannot pay him that much of the cap because they are challenged in deciding what to pay other players. They are average team builders at best.

Because of how they distribute the cap, they have to be dead on in the draft, particularly on the D side. Are they? Are they even good in FA with the D? Paying any QB 40M only exacerbates what is already the problem along with being challenged with player evaluations.

The Dallas Cowboys are the prime example of what happens with a team paying too much to too many, it is feast and famine on the same team. And they will all stay hungry.

In the short run, the best thing they can do is get a rookie QB, keep Dalton and focus on the rest of the team. If they don't, the long run doesn't matter.
No . That position should not cost that much . Especially for the cowboys who have a terrible defense .
And I don’t think they should pay a QB called Dak 35-40 mil after his record of 6-11 in his last 17 starts . Am sorry but that is not a good QB .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best thing that could ever happen to the Cowboys short of new ownership would be to have to pay a QB 40 million a year because his play warrants it.

We don't have that player.
That's not my point. Doesn't matter who the QB is as long as they build a team this way.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
So what? Its freaking Brady. You cannot compare a team with Tom Brady to a team with Dak Prescott. You can pay Dak 40M or 400k. You are not going to win anything with him.

I wasn't implying one way or the other. I merely showed his cap hit. I'll let the pay Dak and don't pay Dak folks argue this one.

Rayman70

Reaction score
in the world of Banking, accounting , with checks and balances, the simple answer to this thread question is NO. The real question is can he be signed for around 36-37 per long term? My gut feel says no. I think in a shocker,he gets signed and traded and we do without at QB for the next 2 years. We might end up signing Dalton and DO NOT rule out bringing in Jimmy Garoppolo. He would come in a bit cheaper.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we won't be winning anytime soon then what difference does it make what route we take to mediocrity? We'd probably have been in the playoffs with Dak this year so at least we would have been mildly competitive. By the time Dak's 4-5 year contract is up we'll have built that stellar D, right? Or do you want to draft a QB every year with our first rounder and hope we hit on one of them roulette-style?
Not every year but with the people involved in building this team, they are going to have to hit on am affordable young QB. When his deal comes up, then they have to deal with it.

There are teams that can pay a QB 40M because they build better teams and make better player decisions. In 3 years, 40M will be the new 30M but it will still come down to team building and coaching is a part of that.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not if you want to win now. But winning isn't the concern of ownership

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mayfield isn’t even that good..

Hunt and Chubb rolling has more to do with their success than Mayfield.

If they pay Mayfield 40 million then they are just as stupid as Dallas will be.
Mayfield, like most QB's has to have the team around him. He looked like a better QB at OU than Mahomes did at Texas Tech for one reason, team. Mayfield is not elite but he can take a good team to the Big Dance.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Mayfield, like most QB's has to have the team around him. He looked like a better QB at OU than Mahomes did at Texas Tech for one reason, team. Mayfield is not elite but he can take a good team to the Big Dance.

OU gets over hyped because they have a weak schedule and the defenses provide no resistance.

Their QBs usually get overhyped because of it. Baker should’ve never been the 1st QB taken.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are correct.. and Brady is proof that even a 6th round QB like him can have success if the foundation is solid. Notice how as soon as the foundation crumbled in New England he bailed and went to another team with a solid foundation. Even he knows he cannot carry a team bereft of talent.
The Patriots had the highest number of opt outs this year, not a fair assessment but picking up Newton, they were not going far anyway and I think Belichick knew it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Revisionist history. Brady' Super Bowl wins came with the following scoring defensive rankings

2001 #6
2003 #1
2004 #2
2014 #8
2016 #1
2018 #7

I'm sensing a patter here.. do you see it?

Let's check 2020 with the Bucs.

2020 #8

So the worst defense Brady has "dragged" to a title has been #8 twice? Maybe he switches jerseys and plays safety without our knowledge?
Thanks for helping me make my point. Those D's were built because Brady had to agree to the parameters of how much Belichick would pay any QB, not just him. It had nothing to do with Brady or his rich wife, he had to do with what Belichick will allocate to the position, every position on his team has it's own cap. That's how he's stayed so competitive over this length of time and no other has come close.

Look at his method. Any player approaching his ceiling, gets traded as he did Jones, Collins and Cooks and he will allow himself a couple of overs but he balances that out. Trey Flowers was as good as Lawrence and he didn't even tag him, just let him walk because he knew Flowers would break through his ceiling.

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Sounds legit

Flamma

Reaction score
They need to figure out how to get the Jets pick so they can take Zach Wilson.

I think Dallas is screwed either way. Did you see all of the players up for an extension this year? Is Dallas going to let all of these walk after next year? How much space can the Cowboys clear up? Because 20+ million isn't doing it.

Then consider your approach. In order to trade up from 10 to 2 Dallas needs 1300 points after switching places. The rest of the draft doesn't even come close. That means giving up multiple premium picks over the next two seasons at minimum. Probably bleed into 2023. Because our 10th pick this year is worth 1300. Our unknown first rounder next year won't be worth half that. I'll take an educated guess and say somewhere in the area of 3 firsts and two seconds. Maybe flip it, I don't have the numbers in front of me. That means building the defense through FA. Because we won't have the draft picks. I don't see an upside to anything we do.

Me personally, I think it's less risky to sign Dak. But that's me, I'm an X heavy gambler that still has that on my mind. But I don't think Dallas will anything. Dallas would be shedding talent. The only possible upside is if Dak takes a 6 year deal. The last half of his contract would be a bargain when the cap spikes. If it spikes.