Can the Cowboys afford any 40M QB?

Mr_437

Reaction score
I hear ya CouchCoach, a mediocre Front Office can't afford to sink a high percentage of the cap on 1 player...their not good enough to overcome that cap restriction.

I think this is what many have been trying to say for the longest.

Edit: They couldn't afford to pay a $33M QB a year ago, so anything more doesn't seem reasonable, especially with a unpredictable cap moving forward.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Not every year but with the people involved in building this team, they are going to have to hit on am affordable young QB. When his deal comes up, then they have to deal with it.

There are teams that can pay a QB 40M because they build better teams and make better player decisions. In 3 years, 40M will be the new 30M but it will still come down to team building and coaching is a part of that.

My point is we don't trust our team builders and coaches now but they're going to miraculously get it right at the QB position where they lucked into Prescott? Also, spending draft capital on QBs takes away from the vaunted defense people seem to think we're just going to magically assemble. You're not going to find a Watt or Mack or Miller in the 3rd Round. What if that doesn't pan out with these same people doing the picking? Surely other teams have thought they need a better defense. Why doesn't every other team have one? As I said before, you know what you have in Dak and he's good. But that's not enough for folks so we need to gamble at doing the Cleveland Browns QB shuffle which didn't help their decent defenses of the past accomplish anything. People want top notch results while spending bargain basement dollars.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What a surprise, another Prescott thread. Who would have thought that another thread would start just to rehash everything in the past 2 zillion threads before this one.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if you don't think this f/o can't build a team around a $40mil QB....why the hell would you trust them to build around a cheaper QB?
the same people are callin the shots either way.
tampa bay didnt win the super bowl because their QB was cheap.....they won it because he's the greatest too ever do this.

sign Dak...build around him thru the draft.
don't chase f/a's....identify your own you want to keep
ipso-fatso......solved:thumbup:
Compared to how much some QB's were paid last year, Brady was cheap.

Bold, how has that worked so far?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Everyone I guess except you knows why Brady has signed smaller contracts - because his wife makes more than he does so they don't really need the extra couple of mil.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure if our dysfunctional organization is a good example for the rest of the league? Lol

We are seeing sound football franchises pay their QB’s. And remain contenders. While the one who didn’t pay him we always want to place on a pedestal of his own wasn’t a contender without his QB.

I tend to lean in paying your QB to remain a contender.
Not talking about you, talking about them. They knew this was coming and paid a RB 15M and a WR 20M and are lopsided on the O side of the ball and have proven they're not great at picking D players.

If any team is going to have highly paid skill positions, they better be drop dead draft pickers. Are they?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My point is we don't trust our team builders and coaches now but they're going to miraculously get it right at the QB position where they lucked into Prescott? Also, spending draft capital on QBs takes away from the vaunted defense people seem to think we're just going to magically assemble. You're not going to find a Watt or Mack or Miller in the 3rd Round. What if that doesn't pan out with these same people doing the picking? Surely other teams have thought they need a better defense. Why doesn't every other team have one? As I said before, you know what you have in Dak and he's good. But that's not enough for folks so we need to gamble at doing the Cleveland Browns QB shuffle which didn't help their decent defenses of the past accomplish anything. People want top notch results while spending bargain basement dollars.
Prescott is good enough for Booger's plan which is remaining good enough while playing starball.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone I guess except you knows why Brady has signed smaller contracts - because his wife makes more than he does so they don't really need the extra couple of mil.
That's the excuse Brady gave but Kraft nailed it when he said "Tom really had no choice is he wanted to remain a Patriot". Belichick had already set it up to trade Brady if he didn't play ball and had Garoppolo in the wings for that specific purpose. Every player is replaceable in Belichick's mind.

There is no way he's paying top dollar for any QB.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What a surprise, another Prescott thread. Who would have thought that another thread would start just to rehash everything in the past 2 zillion threads before this one.
It's not a Prescott thread, it's a 40M QB thread about a team challenged with building a team. This is not about him, be the same if it were Mahomes, Watson or Rodgers. It's about the team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's not a Prescott thread, it's a 40M QB thread about a team challenged with building a team. This is not about him, be the same if it were Mahomes, Watson or Rodgers. It's about the team.
Right

Imagine what a mess we’d be without Prescott. Same was true in Romo era.

Sign him!!!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboy Fans are fools if they think our Football Idiots would know what to do without a Franchise QB that falls into their laps.

Throw all the norms out when addressing this dysfunctional organization . Lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the had a rookie QB, what would they do with the extra money? Spend it like they did on Crawford and Smith? They'd probably re-sign Awuzie, Lewis and Woods.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

And again, you had to come chime in and put your 2 cents in, why? A normal person that does not like something moves on down the road, so what does that say about you?

cowboyec

Reaction score

so you believe if they get a cheaper QB they will use that money to go after f/a's?
what makes you believe that.
i don't.
so we go back to the days of quincy carter,chad hutchinson,anthony wright,etc...
maybe we hit on another qb in the draft.
sooo....we let him play out his rookie deal...dump him...then go back to trying to find another qb.
screw that noise.
we have one now.
QBs are expensive.
thats how the mop flops.
pay him...build thru the draft.
THIS F/O WILL NOT PASS THE SAVINGS ONTO HIGH PRICED FREE AGENTS.
THEY.
JUST.
WON'T.

Shane612

Reaction score
They need to figure out how to get the Jets pick so they can take Zach Wilson.
How will they leapfrog 7 teams to pick 2nd?
He would have include his stadium and the Rangers ballpark to do so....

cowboyec

Reaction score
Gallimore and Diggs are the first baby steps, and good job by McClay and staff.
This roster is no where near able to sustain a 37-40 mill cap hit at any position.
The real build is cut all the fat off the roster, trim it down and total rebuild.
Bad contracts are on the books and dead money is the consequence.
Only a good brain trust understands this very basic principle.
So except another 20 years of mediocrity fans,, at the least 20 years,, maybe SJ isnt like daddy and understands the importance of a true football mind.
Only time will tell.
i don't disagree with you,really.
as a fan...i would love to be able to extend Dak on a home town discount.
what i disagree with others is this fantasy that by moving on from Dak....all the money they save will go to high priced,top shelf f/a's.
it wont.
because they dont do that.
so i gave up expecting them to.
knowing that...and how important the qb spot is...might as well keep a good one and build around him thru the draft.