Can we afford Dak?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
What they should do is agree to pay him a percentage of the cap that is fair market for franchise QB's.
Lower cap, 18%
Higher cap, 18%

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
its a one year issue, with expectations that the cap will go up in 2022 and then start to sky rocket in 2023 and 2024, so its all about how you structure the deal.

this is also an issue for all NFL teams, not just cowboys. I expect most teams to keep their core, with lots of older veterans hitting FA

I don’t think it is a one year issue. Teams are scrambling to contain the damage from 2020. The cap is going to be around $180M for 2021. No one has any idea about the 2022 cap yet. No fans again in 2021 would be a disaster. I think the league is realizing viewer ratings are declining. Too many people watching for free online. Why pay for something free. Also, the average age of the NFL viewer is around 50 from what I heard. Young people just aren’t interested in football much. I don’t see skyrocketing revenue in the future for the NFL.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No I like Dak.. He’s a above average QB that has elite intangibles.

I’m just realistic and you aren’t. You don’t know how to separate from being a fan.. That’s normal. Nothing wrong with that.

I don’t believe in this football utopia you think we can reach in the salary cap era and I guess I don’t ignore the rest of the leagues evidence of what happens when these guys take up a ton of your cap.

During the Cap era there's been 27 Super Bowl champions since the cap started in 1994 including Super Bowl XXX that the Cowboys won. No team had what the Cowboys had to go through when the cap started. Prior to the cap the Cowboys had the largest player payroll by far in the league. Jones spent money on players like it was water. He paid backups starters pay to get them and when the cap started many of those backups had to be let go and ended up starters on other teams. The Cowboys had to let players go and also had to restructure many contracts just to get under the cap. This ended up putting a great deal of money as dead money a couple years down the road and that vicious cycle continued for 20 years just to have enough money to keep or resigned some of their core players and every couple of years enough to sign a free agent that wasn't a basement free agent. Finally Stephen took over contracts and stopped that vicious cycle and after 4 or 5 years when most of the dead money was flushed from cap the Cowboys finally had the cap room they've had the past year or so.

All you see is the wins and losses and don't realize everything that had to do with that. There hasn't been a Super Bowl winner in the last 20 years that didn't have a top 10 defense and that's something the Cowboys haven't had while Prescott has been with the Cowboys.

I played ball all the way through 1 year in college ( I didn't get in very often that year) so don't say I only see things as a fan. I see much more to the entire game than you apparently do.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you not read the part of my post about Dak haters? Shut up! Stop talking to me! I don't hear your ignorance. I'll have no part in entertaining it, dummy! Dak IS the Cowboys starting QB now and into the future. Get over it!
Warning warning Dak freak-out post!!!!:muttley:

tenor.gif

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Did you not read the part of my post about Dak haters? Shut up! Stop talking to me! I don't hear your ignorance. I'll have no part in entertaining it, dummy! Dak IS the Cowboys starting QB now and into the future. Get over it!
Whoa.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score

tenor.gif

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
During the Cap era there's been 27 Super Bowl champions since the cap started in 1994 including Super Bowl XXX that the Cowboys won. No team had what the Cowboys had to go through when the cap started. Prior to the cap the Cowboys had the largest player payroll by far in the league. Jones spent money on players like it was water. He paid backups starters pay to get them and when the cap started many of those backups had to be let go and ended up starters on other teams. The Cowboys had to let players go and also had to restructure many contracts just to get under the cap. This ended up putting a great deal of money as dead money a couple years down the road and that vicious cycle continued for 20 years just to have enough money to keep or resigned some of their core players and every couple of years enough to sign a free agent that wasn't a basement free agent. Finally Stephen took over contracts and stopped that vicious cycle and after 4 or 5 years when most of the dead money was flushed from cap the Cowboys finally had the cap room they've had the past year or so.

All you see is the wins and losses and don't realize everything that had to do with that. There hasn't been a Super Bowl winner in the last 20 years that didn't have a top 10 defense and that's something the Cowboys haven't had while Prescott has been with the Cowboys.

I played ball all the way through 1 year in college ( I didn't get in very often that year) so don't say I only see things as a fan. I see much more to the entire game than you apparently do.

Exactly right! Dak has the weapons now, but he doesn't have a top 10 defence. In fact, Tony Romo only had such a defence early in his days. I don't think we've had a top 10 defence since 2007 or 8, unless I'm mistaken. Imagine how different Romo's career would've been if we had that in 2014. Imagine how different Dak's career would be if he had a top defence. For the same reason as I've laid out time and time again to people on here. It is a tall order in the NFL to have to drive 75+ yards every drive and be expected to score. Yet, when you have a defence as bad as ours, that's exactly what Dak's had to do over the last two years. It'd be nice to at least make our defence average so we could have the advantage of 50 yards or less drives more often. We'll probably score a lot more, especially with the weapons we have.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Well, that's even better then imo. That just means that the salary cap will go up after both of those deals get reworked in those two seasons. Which makes signing Dak even better imo. And okay, maybe not allowing screens to be taken up with avatars, but, at the very least, allowing fans the option of watching a game virtually through VR Chat would certainly help them, even if the TV viewers can't see the avatars.

First off because of several things there was actually a drop in viewership for several games this season and you can bet that the networks saw that and will use that in negotiating there next contracts. You would think that with most fans not allowed to go to games that the viewership number would have gone up, but several games they went down. In other words there might not be that huge increase you think there might be.

I'm also confused on your virtual viewing. Why would someone want to pay for that when they can watch it on TV for free. Now if you live outside of the viewing area and the game isn't on your local channel there is NFL Sunday Ticket. Now if they don't want to pay for that and if they are going to use their computer for the virtual viewing and pay there are sites that you can watch games for free on your computer. I just don't get your virtual viewing thing being something that will have enough appeal to make it worth it.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Yes, and Dak is a fine QB. I heard Jimmy in an interview just a few moments ago in which he said EXACTLY what I've been saying. He said that this is a deal that should've been reached 3 years ago! He stated that while Dak is not Mahomes (and nobody is arguing he's on Mahomes's level), Dak is a fine QB that you can win with, and that you have to do what you can to keep your franchise QB. He stated that franchise QBs are hard to come by. So, not only have I said this, but now Jimmy has said it better than I could have stated. So yes, we can afford Dak, and we SHOULD pay Dak.
They tried to pay him

Rayman70

Reaction score
We can only afford him if he neglect other areas..OR if we can cut a couple guys and gain some cap. Its obvious we will need to make some moves to sign him. We need to free up some space for other free agents.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hmm, okay, if we are to do that, who would we sign that isn't going to "break the bank" like supposedly Dak will? Cuz most of the veteran QBs that are going to be available are going to likely want at least what Dak is wanting, and they don't know the system like Dak does.

I don't think so Fur. I mean, a lot of it is about how it happens. For example, is it a trade or an FA signing etc. Either way, I don't believe that any of these guys are getting paid 40 AAY. Look at Tom Brady, he signed a two year, 25 mil AAV deal. That's way cheaper then what we are talking about with Dak.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Those are great points. It's not about money only. You must be able to draft well. I've been frustrated because we had a great thing going with our O-line, starting in about 2014. There was a lot of injury, so we might be able to bounce back and do well there. We also need good coaching. I think the best O-line coach we had was Bill Callahan, and look what he's done with the Browns now. But you're right. A team could throw money at problem areas, but still not fix them. That can happen because of bad drafting or bad coaching or both.

I was thrilled when this team's O-line was kicking butt and we could pig up time of possession, keeping other team's offenses off the field. I would love to see us do that again. If we could do that but then also have a great defense, that would be a championship level team.
I think drafting well is key. for what ever reason we are able to draft well offensively but can't get it done on defensive side. in the past 15 years, we have drafted the likes of Zeke, Martin, Smith, Fredrick, Biadasz, Gallup, Beasley (yes he left), CD, Pollard, Schultz, Jarwin (UDFA), Dak, Cooper (trade) etc....but on defense can really point to Lawrence and Jones and keep missing in draft and FA, ala Taco, Claiborne, LVE, Jaylon, Gregory, Lee, etc.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
First off because of several things there was actually a drop in viewership for several games this season and you can bet that the networks saw that and will use that in negotiating there next contracts. You would think that with most fans not allowed to go to games that the viewership number would have gone up, but several games they went down. In other words there might not be that huge increase you think there might be.

I'm also confused on your virtual viewing. Why would someone want to pay for that when they can watch it on TV for free. Now if you live outside of the viewing area and the game isn't on your local channel there is NFL Sunday Ticket. Now if they don't want to pay for that and if they are going to use their computer for the virtual viewing and pay there are sites that you can watch games for free on your computer. I just don't get your virtual viewing thing being something that will have enough appeal to make it worth it.

Let me explain it from a furry point of view. Because COVID has shut down in person furry conventions for a while, we have to use VR Chat to do virtual furry conventions and furmeets until we're cleared to attend an in person convention. The soonest such convention that we have on schedule is Anthrocon in Pittsburgh in July, which is very generous tbh. IF the local officials declare it unsafe to hold the convention in person, then that will likely go live, and that is currently still up in the air. We probably won't have an answer on that until probably April, but the registration has been open for a few weeks now. If that gets cancelled as an inperson convention, then the earliest we're looking at is maybe the fall or winter. The reason we use the virtual furry conventions is because it allows us to at least interact with other furries (which we can on social media, but not to the level that VR Chat allows at such an event) more than social media allows. It's not the same as the furry conventions that we love where we get the interpersonal interactions that we like and all the fun that comes from that, but it's better than nothing. Just the same, there may be fans who'd like to attend the game virtually at least to get the interaction and the feel of attending a game without being there. It would be quite fun, no? Actually having a virtual seat at AT&T Stadium and being able to cheer through your speakers. Not the same as attending it live, but it's better than nothing imo. And no, they shouldn't charge full price per say, but hey, I'd do that for $20 if that were what they'd charge. It's virtual, so there wouldn't be a limit on space, so $20 for each person would be quite reasonable imo. Plus, when you consider the package for NFL Sunday Ticket is approximately $18/week (https://www.reviews.org/tv-service/nfl-sunday-ticket-review/), it's not that much more and you get to virtually experience being in a stadium from your home. That'd be why I'd do that.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't think so Fur. I mean, a lot of it is about how it happens. For example, is it a trade or an FA signing etc. Either way, I don't believe that any of these guys are getting paid 40 AAY. Look at Tom Brady, he signed a two year, 25 mil AAV deal. That's way cheaper then what we are talking about with Dak.

It is, but I don't think there are many QBs like Brady who have already made their money and have a supermodel wife. Hello Nurse!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They tried to pay him

That they did, and it sounds like they had something that worked but the clock ran out. Hopefully, they've managed to come to an agreement in the meantime that'll work that they just haven't announced yet like some have suggested.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don’t think it is a one year issue. Teams are scrambling to contain the damage from 2020. The cap is going to be around $180M for 2021. No one has any idea about the 2022 cap yet. No fans again in 2021 would be a disaster. I think the league is realizing viewer ratings are declining. Too many people watching for free online. Why pay for something free. Also, the average age of the NFL viewer is around 50 from what I heard. Young people just aren’t interested in football much. I don’t see skyrocketing revenue in the future for the NFL.
well, I think they kind of speculate the 2022 cap. we know how much the TV money is. and they expect to get fans back in some capacity post covid 19. is it full stadiums? probably not, but not as bad as 2020. it probably won't be as high as it was projected pre-covid, but not as bad as 2021