Can we afford Dak?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
None of the problems or shortcomings are Daks fault, it's always someone or something else that wrong. "he’s not a difference maker", you win a cigar.
That's what happens when you're one of many.
There's truth in this.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
None of the problems or shortcomings are Daks fault, it's always someone or something else that wrong. "he’s not a difference maker", you win a cigar.

Don’t worry bud.. Jerry will pay him and we’ll see it play out exactly like I’m predicting unless he is an incredible outlier. I hope for my teams sake he is.

Flamma

Reaction score
Don’t worry bud.. Jerry will pay him and we’ll see it play out exactly like I’m predicting unless he is an incredible outlier. I hope for my teams sake he is.

No. It's going to play out just like you said. Dallas will pay top dollar for a QB who's not a top QB, how else is it going to play out?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just don't buy into absolutes like this - that signing Dak would somehow cause the next few years to be locked into a predetermined path. For example, why is it somehow predetermined that by signing Dak we cannot, over the next year or two, build a solid defense through a combination of the draft, a couple of key free agents, and developing existing players (Diggs, Gallamore, Wilson …)? Why is it predetermined that signing Dak locks in everything for the next few years and there are no other maneuvers the team can make to save cap space and/or acquire other players?

It not an absolute but it's what typically happens when you sign any QB to a max contract, especially if it is not an extension. Couple this to the fact we are rebuilding our defense. The 1st year on these massive deals is typically the cap friendliest, even so do you think we can add enough talent on defense to compete against the better offenses? It'll take a few years atleast 2 to hit on enough draft picks for this defense to start not sucking. Zeke can no longer carry the offense behind an average OL to hide our defensive deficiencies. This is why big money to one player rarely works. If we were 1 QB away then yes pay him and let's go, but we need more, much more. If he signs a 5 year deal we might be ready to compete in years 4-5 if he can atleast maintain his ability till then.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Save this and let me know when I'm actually wrong. I'd happily eat crow but unfortunately what I said is true. Highly unlikely we compete anytime soon. Maybe 4-5 years from now.
save this when you tell me i was right.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

*sits at a piano and starts playing*
Posters have run out of ideas for fresh new threads,
So Cowboyszone did the only thing it knows
Can we afford Dak Prescott
Is Dak staying with the Cowboys
Is Dak the worst QB is what they're craving
(I know that's a thread worth saving *rolls eyes*)
I vote for Dak's a great QB

*puts on a Dak jersey*

Reboot them, renew them
Reshoot them, redo them
And reuse them, retool them
Abuse them, just do them
If you wanna make some easy likes, just recycle and rehash the Dak posts

Repeat them, rеinstate them
Reheat the posts, rеcreate the old ideas
There's no need to feel frustrated with new threads
Simply just regurgitate them

For a guaranteed likes smash
Dig up the Dak threads out of the trash
Come on
Just reboot them

(For those that don't know, this is a parody of a song from the new Animaniacs reboot)

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i think you fix it through the draft.
and it really doesn't change if we pay Dak...trade for stafford....or trade for goff.
you build thru the draft.
i don't think you can team build thru f/a.
i just don't see how paying Dak means we can't continue to make the team better thru the draft.
you can.
it just means we can't have alot of misses or dumb picks...which i don't think has been a problem in recent history.
You can't build the entire team though drafts. It's the foundation of course.

You have to be adept at snagging the right FA/trade to supplement the drafts. Amari is one good example. The good ones generally cost money but can immediately elevate the team.

Swagger

Reaction score
What's the best way to trade Prescott - sign him long term or tag then trade?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don’t blame Dak for anything.. Football is a team sport.

The dont sign Dak crowd and the sign Dak crowd all agree on this 1 thing..

The difference is the sign Dak crowd believes in football utopia and that we can sign Dak and still build the juggernaut team he requires.. That is just laughable. Especially believing that the Jones’s will do it.
We all agree you are a clueless troll.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Given that the salary cap will drop to $175 Million, it will be interesting to see if the cowboys can afford to pay Dak his $37 million Franchise Tag. If he doesn't sign a deal that allows the team to lessen the cost for this year, the team would be hard pressed to not have to release some players just to say under the $175 Million cap.
The answer is yes definitely. Anybody who says no doesn’t want the quarterback anyways