Can we afford Dak?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The window to win a SB with Dak has now closed regardless of who is at fault. Dak will now sign a 4-5 year deal for way too much $ but won't have the defense needed to win in the postseason if we even make it back. We have no depth on defense, and our best DB's in Wilson and Diggs only started 1 year so far. It is just too hard for most teams to build a SB calibre squad when their QB has just signed their new max deal. When the QB's are cheap either rookie contract or when the cap inflation makes their large contracts more managable it is much easier to add the talent needed to compete at a high level. And one of the worst things the cowboys do is pay players they like vs turning them into picks and drafting a guy who can have a similar performance.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Cowboys are screwed!
Poor General Manager and Leadership
Poor Free Agency Signings
Average Drafting
Poor Player Development
Poor Coaching

Why care about Dak signing if the team is looking at another 25 years of poop? Dak should be trying to get out of Dallas, and if you like him..you should want the same.

Dak can't save this crap team, heck, he needs help himself. They should tear this raggedy team down.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The window to win a SB with Dak has now closed regardless of who is at fault. Dak will now sign a 4-5 year deal for way too much $ but won't have the defense needed to win in the postseason if we even make it back. We have no depth on defense, and our best DB's in Wilson and Diggs only started 1 year so far. It is just too hard for most teams to build a SB calibre squad when their QB has just signed their new max deal. When the QB's are cheap either rookie contract or when the cap inflation makes their large contracts more managable it is much easier to add the talent needed to compete at a high level. And one of the worst things the cowboys do is pay players they like vs turning them into picks and drafting a guy who can have a similar performance.
I just don't buy into absolutes like this - that signing Dak would somehow cause the next few years to be locked into a predetermined path. For example, why is it somehow predetermined that by signing Dak we cannot, over the next year or two, build a solid defense through a combination of the draft, a couple of key free agents, and developing existing players (Diggs, Gallamore, Wilson …)? Why is it predetermined that signing Dak locks in everything for the next few years and there are no other maneuvers the team can make to save cap space and/or acquire other players?

ICP

Reaction score
Of course we can, it will cost more than if they would have gotten the deal done a few years back but isn't that the process with Dallas?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys are screwed!
Average Drafting
Poor Player Development
Poor Coaching

Why care about Dak signing if the team is looking at another 25 years of poop? Dak should be trying to get out of Dallas, and if you like him..you should want the same.

Dak can't save this crap team, heck, he needs help himself. They should tear this raggedy team down.
lol, now that's some world class whining.

th

cowboyec

Reaction score
bull.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Cowboys are screwed!
Average Drafting
Poor Player Development
Poor Coaching

bull.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes we can afford but the cost is being mediocre for at least 3 seasons.

The one thing I will say though is our division is trash and as long as Washington doesn’t have a QB and we stay healthy we could win the division and possibly get a wildcard W.

The goal is to win Superbowls and I think signing him is a dead end path because as we all agree this team needs a lot of pieces.

Dak can’t play defense, block, or catch passes and he without a doubt needs all those things to carry him.
That's just your opinion, not the experts.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yes his leadership is not as replaceable, but paying 40 million per year for good leadership and average production is stupid.
I would pay 40 per if this team had a legit roster,,, thats what is so discouraging from this fan base that actually believes that those saying no no no on Dak are just a bunch of haters.
Thats so far from the truth.
Sorry to break the news fellas, but this team has a significant amount of over payed bad contracts, and bad investments always bring a bad return.
There is nothing nice about what I just said, but there is nothing off base from what I just said.
At this level when your competing with top notch mind trust.. I dont need to list those teams,, they are playing in the SB, and those that lost in the championship games, and etc....
Wake up people,, being average is not winning.
When did this fan base buy into this concept?
Was it when we drafted a RB at 4th overall? We could have made a very wise decision there.
Was it when we we drafted and payed rehabilitation projects?
Handing out franchise contracts to players that dont get the job done... Im sick of the defenders, Im sick of the dreamers that drool on dead game stats, and they dont even know WTH that stat is, because nobody has the gonads to actually understand the term..
You guys want to be the ne Cleveland Browns will guess what,, Jerry used to be best friends with a brilliant mind in Al Davis, and now you get the Cleveland Browns.. start to finish.. thats the story.
And Al Davis was one hell of football mind and owner.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I would pay 40 per if this team had a legit roster,,, thats what is so discouraging from this fan base that actually believes that those saying no no no on Dak are just a bunch of haters.
Thats so far from the truth.
Sorry to break the news fellas, but this team has a significant amount of over payed bad contracts, and bad investments always bring a bad return.
There is nothing nice about what I just said, but there is nothing off base from what I just said.
At this level when your competing with top notch mind trust.. I dont need to list those teams,, they are playing in the SB, and those that lost in the championship games, and etc....
Wake up people,, being average is not winning.
When did this fan base buy into this concept?
Was it when we drafted a RB at 4th overall? We could have made a very wise decision there.
Was it when we we drafted and payed rehabilitation projects?
Handing out franchise contracts to players that dont get the job done... Im sick of the defenders, Im sick of the dreamers that drool on dead game stats, and they dont even know WTH that stat is, because nobody has the gonads to actually understand the term..
You guys want to be the ne Cleveland Browns will guess what,, Jerry used to be best friends with a brilliant mind in Al Davis, and now you get the Cleveland Browns.. start to finish.. thats the story.
And Al Davis was one hell of football mind and owner.

*sighs* I suppose you're right about that. I mean, I certainly want to keep Dak. Being a young fan who's first seasons consisted of 3 straight 5-11, I hate the thought of being without a franchise QB, especially one like Dak. I started a thread laying out the horrific display of QBs we had between Aikman and Romo. However, we in a lot of trouble. It's why I say that we are on a razors edge right now. If we aren't careful with how we proceed, we're going to have worse than what I started with I fear. Not only are we potentially looking at a long search for a franchise Qb, but this is largely because we have a horrible defence that is going to take quite a bit to fix. Quite honestly, it's getting a bit sad as a fan that's never tasted success beyond the NFC Division round. All I want is one season where we get beyond the NFC Division Round which I think Dak can get us if we can finally start building this defence. Unfortunately, as we do that, there's always something else on this team that goes horribly wrong. As much as I want Dak and have been pounding the table to keep him so we can have at least something on offence to help keep us stable, I also don't know if it is in his career's interest to remain in this horrific mess. He might be better off on a team that actually gives a damn about defence and not just flashy objects.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
*sighs* I suppose you're right about that. I mean, I certainly want to keep Dak. Being a young fan who's first seasons consisted of 3 straight 5-11, I hate the thought of being without a franchise QB, especially one like Dak. I started a thread laying out the horrific display of QBs we had between Aikman and Romo. However, we in a lot of trouble. It's why I say that we are on a razors edge right now. If we aren't careful with how we proceed, we're going to have worse than what I started with I fear. Not only are we potentially looking at a long search for a franchise Qb, but this is largely because we have a horrible defence that is going to take quite a bit to fix. Quite honestly, it's getting a bit sad as a fan that's never tasted success beyond the NFC Division round. All I want is one season where we get beyond the NFC Division Round which I think Dak can get us if we can finally start building this defence. Unfortunately, as we do that, there's always something else on this team that goes horribly wrong. As much as I want Dak and have been pounding the table to keep him so we can have at least something on offence to help keep us stable, I also don't know if it is in his career's interest to remain in this horrific mess. He might be better off on a team that actually gives a damn about defence and not just flashy objects.
I understand and I dont know how old you are, but I respect you because I know how important it is,, its still so very important to me still at my old *** age...lol
As Ive gotten much older since this Franchises recent prime, early 90s,, I was born in 66 so there you go, you know how much success I was gifted with, my generation and before me was gifted with.
I want the same for my children and my grandchildren,, gosh dangity thats perspective right there...lol
It was much easier in that era, there was plan B free agency back then, research that young mind,, thats why I see the bigger picture now and just how hard this hurdle is to overcome.
Im not going to stand here and try and even explain how great that era was,, I was blessed to have witnessed it and I try and understand how painful it must be now for the young generation that are Cowboys faithful.
You young dIE hARD cOWBOYS FANS, have a very rough road to endure,, you hang in there long enough and never abandon the faith.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Truth hurts, huh. This team is already down, shid I was being positive.
The truth is this was a bad season, but as for the future, your whining and truth are not the same thing. Whining is giving up on the next several years before even letting things play out. Without even considering that one move doesn't set everything else in stone for years to come. Without realizing that maneuvers can be made and that things do change with team's from year to year. It also shows no belief in the spirit of competition, so what is the point in being a fan anyway?

Ask yourself how things looked after the 2015 season, and how they looked in the 2016 preseason when Romo went down again. All signs were the team would fail miserably just like 2015 when Romo went down, but that didn't happen.

But, you would rather be a quitter than understand that.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I understand and I dont know how old you are, but I respect you because I know how important it is,, its still so very important to me still at my old *** age...lol
As Ive gotten much older since this Franchises recent prime, early 90s,, I was born in 66 so there you go, you know how much success I was gifted with, my generation and before me was gifted with.
I want the same for my children and my grandchildren,, gosh dangity thats perspective right there...lol
It was much easier in that era, there was plan B free agency back then, research that young mind,, thats why I see the bigger picture now and just how hard this hurdle is to overcome.
Im not going to stand here and try and even explain how great that era was,, I was blessed to have witnessed it and I try and understand how painful it must be now for the young generation that are Cowboys faithful.
You young dIE hARD cOWBOYS FANS, have a very rough road to endure,, you hang in there long enough and never abandon the faith.

I'm 28. I was born in December 1992. I should also mention that I grew up in a family of Eagles fans and chose the Cowboys for God knows why. I have no desire to stop cheering for this team, especially since I built my fursona heavily around the Cowboys. My desire to keep Dak is because he and Romo are the two best starting QBs I've ever seen play for this team. They're the only 2 QBs that provide me with any reason to think that the team will have a chance going into the season. If we have to let them go, I get it and I get why. However, I also know from my first experiences as a fan what can happen. I know that it is possible to strike a complete disaster, especially with the owner we have who has painfully awful tastes for QB considering he tried to get Manziel, Lynch, and Connor Cook. That scares me as a fan. That scares me to think that if we get rid of Dak that Jerry's tastes for QB will be a player like that. We got lucky with our two starters, and luck only goes so long.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The truth is this was a bad season, but as for the future, your whining and truth are not the same thing. Whining is giving up on the next several years before even letting things play out. Without even considering that one move doesn't set everything else in stone for years to come. Without realizing that maneuvers can be made and that things do change with team's from year to year. It also shows no belief in the spirit of competition, so what is the point in being a fan anyway?

Ask yourself how things looked after the 2015 season, and how they looked in the 2016 preseason when Romo went down again. All signs were the team would fail miserably just like 2015 when Romo went down, but that didn't happen.

But, you would rather be a quitter than understand that.
Yeah, it hurts. It'll be ok man.