Can we really cheer for a high draft pick?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I commend your optimism, but I've checked out on this team. If this sort of hope doesn't die in Washington its probably scheduled for execution in Lambeau the following week.

With the new rookie caps its not that big of a deal.

Who, Randle? Murray was already gone when we would have drafted Gurley this year (assuming, obviously, we had the high pick)..

I think Gurley behind this line for the next 5 years would have made us forget all about Murray. The defensive would have been better because it would be spending a whole lot more time standing on the sidelines. And he would have taken a lot of pressure off of the backup QBs that Randle and McFadden couldn't.

You commend my optimism? LOL I gave up on the team weeks ago just pointing out that anything can happen but I'm certainly not expecting the Cowboys to run the table the last 5 games especially with Romo out. Murray was already gone but to let a back who fit the team go and use a top 10 pick on a back coming off a serious injury would have been stupid.

Would have been better paying Murray and using the pick on defense. Not saying Gurley wouldn't have been better than Murray but we were solid at the position and his loss clearly hurt the team and the lack of a consistent running game helped cost us Romo.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
And you know this how?
You're making statements about the unknown. We won't know if we truly are a Super Bowl team until we're fully healthy. There's no way to know if we were healthy, we'd be a Super Bowl team.

We were a 12-4 team that added Greg Hardy, Sean Lee, Mo Claiborne and 3 'First' Round picks.

If that is not a SB contender then one doesn't exist.

We are getting a Top 10 player either way. I want to win every game we play.

If there was an Aikman, a Luck or a Lebron that would be different but we aren't anywhere near those neighborhoods.

Cebrin

Reaction score
If we end up at like #6 or #7, what do y'all think of trading down, and picking up an extra 2nd (assuming all the QB's are off the board)?

Depends on who's on the board. Ezekiel Elliot? Laquon Treadwell? Jaylon Smith? Andrew Billings? If any of those names are available, I'd be pretty upset at a trade down.

wileedog

Reaction score
Would have been better paying Murray and using the pick on defense. Not saying Gurley wouldn't have been better than Murray but we were solid at the position and his loss clearly hurt the team and the lack of a consistent running game helped cost us Romo.

If we had a top 10 pick last year I think we were better off letting Murray walk for and drafting Gurley for the future.

As it was we didn't, and certainly the results could point to the fact we should have sucked it up and signed him. Certainly would have been a better use of the money than extending Crawford. That said, I'm more upset they did basically nothing about addressing the position than I am letting Murray walk. I'm not against what we actually did in the draft, just using Gurley as an example of the difference a top pick can make vs. something further down.

And as an aside there is a lot of talk in Philly about Murray giving up on plays and avoiding contact now that he got paid. Not saying that would have for sure happened here, but we may have dodged a bullet there too.

btcutter

Reaction score
We were a 12-4 team that added Greg Hardy, Sean Lee, Mo Claiborne and 3 'First' Round picks.

If there was an Aikman, a Luck or a Lebron that would be different but we aren't anywhere near those neighborhoods.

We may have been 12-4 but it took a perfect season for us with all the breaks going our way. I believed that we outperformed out talent last year.

Adding the talents we did during off season did make us SB contender but this team just couldn't over come the rash of injuries to our key players.

7-8 won't get you a top 10 pick and in a typical draft blue chip talent falls off a cliff after 1st 5-7 picks. Furthermore, no 1st round QB worth a damn drops out of top 5 (Rodgers outside bell shaped curve).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If we had a top 10 pick last year I think we were better off letting Murray walk for and drafting Gurley for the future.

As it was we didn't, and certainly the results could point to the fact we should have sucked it up and signed him. Certainly would have been a better use of the money than extending Crawford. That said, I'm more upset they did basically nothing about addressing the position than I am letting Murray walk. I'm not against what we actually did in the draft, just using Gurley as an example of the difference a top pick can make vs. something further down.

And as an aside there is a lot of talk in Philly about Murray giving up on plays and avoiding contact now that he got paid. Not saying that would have for sure happened here, but we may have dodged a bullet there too.

Murray didn't want to go to Philly he did it for the money. He doesn't fit their system and is having a disappointing season. He's not happy so what's going on with him in Philly wouldn't of happened here.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
First, it is a sorry state of affairs that we have our season over unless a statistical miracle happens, and it's only November, as some have pointed out. But I can't hope that we lose out just to get a draft pick. We play the Commanders twice, and I've never been one to hope for a double Commanders loss in a season.

If it happens, I'll try to forget it as quickly as possible, I'd at least be ok with it because I know it means we can add the fifth Pro Bowl lineman to the O-line.

Great now, I'm starting to feel sick because I said I'd be ok with losing out. This absolutely stinks! The NFC East has been a great help in getting us to the playoffs so far, not so much helpful when it comes to getting a draft pick.

Nothing is right about this year, when Blandino is fired, Dallas comes through the next draft with ANOTHER three first round talents somehow, this whole season will be a faded memory. Next season will be overloaded with talent, it has to be even more lopsided than this year would have been.

Whaddayathink?

I hate it when we lose, but it seems inevitable
First, it is a sorry state of affairs that we have our season over unless a statistical miracle happens, and it's only November, as some have pointed out. But I can't hope that we lose out just to get a draft pick. We play the Commanders twice, and I've never been one to hope for a double Commanders loss in a season.

If it happens, I'll try to forget it as quickly as possible, I'd at least be ok with it because I know it means we can add the fifth Pro Bowl lineman to the O-line.

Great now, I'm starting to feel sick because I said I'd be ok with losing out. This absolutely stinks! The NFC East has been a great help in getting us to the playoffs so far, not so much helpful when it comes to getting a draft pick.

Nothing is right about this year, when Blandino is fired, Dallas comes through the next draft with ANOTHER three first round talents somehow, this whole season will be a faded memory. Next season will be overloaded with talent, it has to be even more lopsided than this year would have been.

Whaddayathink?

Can you? I don't know. I know I can and will be

tyke1doe

Reaction score

I can see where you would think that, but not all teams with the best talent get to the Super Bowl. See the Vikings of 98 and the Cowboys of 07.
Both teams were the best teams based on records (We beat the Giants TWICE that season). Yet the Giants beat us.

It is not a given that all teams with the best talent ultimately end up in the Super Bowl.

I'm okay with that. I won't criticize you because you want to win every game. And no one should criticize you.

I just think there's more benefit in losing given the broader perspective which is a higher draft pick and a potentially a better player.

Yeah, this draft is devoid of an Aikman, Elway or Luck. :(

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What's the obsession with Luck? What has he done? Why is he the model that every qb from now on out has to be compared to?

I don't think it is about what he has done, but more so about that highly touted player that he was. You know, can't miss, best QB in 15 years, yadda yadda yadda...............

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I don't think it is about what he has done, but more so about that highly touted player that he was. You know, can't miss, best QB in 15 years, yadda yadda yadda...............

There are successful NFL qb's not named Luck also. Any qb we draft will get to sit and learn behind Romo. He won't be thrown in there right away. Unless Romo is injured once again.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There are successful NFL qb's not named Luck also. Any qb we draft will get to sit and learn behind Romo. He won't be thrown in there right away. Unless Romo is injured once again.

LOL, I am not arguing with you! Just saying that there isn't the highly publicized QB coming out this season like he was.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
LOL, I am not arguing with you! Just saying that there isn't the highly publicized QB coming out this season like he was.

If my choice is either MCassell/Weeden/KMoore behind Romo next year or one of these 3 qb's that will most likely be going in the top 15, I take one of those.

robbieruff

Reaction score

Whaddayathink?

My answer is an absolute YES we can and should cheer for a high draft pick...when I was watching this team (EVERY GAME) in 1988 (3-13 season), knowing that the selection of Troy Aikman was hanging in the balance...you can better believe I was ecstatic every time Steve Pelter through a pick, etc. And I had ZERO shame in doing that and of course felt ultimate vindication when sitting in the stands several years later watching the Boys beat the Niners in Candlestick in route to their first of 3 championships.

Similarly...I am sure a TON of San Antonio Spurs fans in the mid-90's (after back to back seasons of averaging 60 wins and having championship aspirations) were elated to "tank" into getting Tim Duncan number 1 overall (mainly due to the fact that David Robinson was hurt most of the season and didn't play much - sound familiar???), transforming them from a "borderline" championship team to an immediate perennial power who would go on to win MANY championships with the good fortune of drafting Tim Duncan (added to an already strong core of talent).

I see us in a similar situation as those Spurs team...we are on an upward trajectory in terms of our roster and have put ourselves into the championship conversation coming into this season...if we "luck into" one of the top three picks and get OUR version of Tim Duncan (i.e., the next marquee face of the franchise type of player) I see us going on to multiple championships in the decade to come. History has shown that time and again. That's why I have no qualms about "rooting for a top pick"...

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If my choice is either MCassell/Weeden/KMoore behind Romo next year or one of these 3 qb's that will most likely be going in the top 15, I take one of those.

I would too as long as Bosa, Nkemdich or Smith aren't standing in the way.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
2015 Dante Fowler vs Vic Bealey
2014 Blake Bortles vs Justin Gilbert
2013 Dion Jordan vs Tavon Austin
2012 TRichardson vs Ryan Tannehill
2011 Marcell Dareus vs Jake Locker
2010 Gerald McCoy vs Ro McClain
2009 Tyson Jackson vs Eugene Monroe
2008 Matt Ryan vs Derrick Harvey
2007 Joe Thomas vs Jamaal Anderson
2006 Vince Young vs Donte Whitner

Basically neither list is that impressive. Those are 20 Top 8 picks and you have 3 starting QBs, a couple solid DTs and a bunch of busts.

Just read the post again. You still have to draft the right players. There's not a team in the league that would rather draft 8th in each round vs 3rd. It's about the value of the pick and players available at each pick.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
What's the obsession with Luck? What has he done? Why is he the model that every qb from now on out has to be compared to?

Really????

He had 3 straight 11-5 seasons where he averaged 4000 yds and 29 TDs. And he just turned 26. Oh and he added another 1000yds rushing and 12 more TDs.

This year he has been off but a couple injuries caught up with him.

If I had to pick a QB to start my franchise right now he would be my choice.

black label

Reaction score
Really????

He had 3 straight 11-5 seasons where he averaged 4000 yds and 29 TDs. And he just turned 26. Oh and he added another 1000yds rushing and 12 more TDs.

And he has taken a beating.

No one has taken shots like him the last 2 years.

Lacerated kidneys and broken ribs,

The guy has no line

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Really????

And he has a career completion of 58%. His td to int ratio isn't great.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Really????

I'd take Newton myself but Luck would be #2. Luck is the best prospect to come out in the draft since Manning. I think Newton still has a lot more upside and has all but closed the gap to where Luck is in mechanics and game management in the status quo. I was impressed by his willingness to take risks and not throw the ball all over the place as well as his ability on third down. Doesn't hurt how many TDs they both score.