Can we really cheer for a high draft pick?

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
I recall in 2004 fans were screaming because we beat Washington and screwed up our shot at a higher pick. Who'd we end up taking at 11?

Demarcus Ware but Rogers wenr all the way to 22.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That early 2nd round pick can be used in a trade back into the 1st for our QB. So, take Bosa with the #1 then go back and grab Lynch via a trade up. Problem solved :D

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Maybe, but fell free to point out the inherent value of winning 6 games instead of 4.

It is why they play and why we watch.

The lower the draft pick doesn't always equal the better the player, so I would rather win the games. We only get 16 a year.

You can't come close to guaranteeing a better result in the future, so I will take the better result in the present. Why delay satisfaction for something that may never come? It just makes me feel dirty.

btcutter

Reaction score
It is why they play and why we watch.

The lower the draft pick doesn't always equal the better the player, so I would rather win the games. We only get 16 a year.

You can't come close to guaranteeing a better result in the future, so I will take the better result in the present. Why delay satisfaction for something that may never come? It just makes me feel dirty.

IMHO the goal is to win SB not just squeezing into the playoff. No need to bring the Giants story...they had a healthy team who vastly under performed early in the season. Can anyone tell me with a straight face that we have a chance at a SB this year?? Then I want the highest pick possible for the upcoming draft to INCREASE my chances of getting better players for the coming years when the heaven smiles upon us and we have a healthy team who gets the breaks .

Sure picking top 5 doesn't guarantee a better player but statistically it dramatically increases your chance of hitting on a good/great player. There's typically a huge drop off after the first 6-8 picks.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
IMHO the goal is to win SB not just squeezing into the playoff. No need to bring the Giants story...they had a healthy team who vastly under performed early in the season. Can anyone tell me with a straight face that we have a chance at a SB this year?? Then I want the highest pick possible for the upcoming draft to INCREASE my chances of getting better players for the coming years when the heaven smiles upon us and we have a healthy team who gets the breaks .

Sure picking top 5 doesn't guarantee a better player but statistically it dramatically increases your chance of hitting on a good/great player. There's typically a huge drop off after the first 6-8 picks.

You can't be a Cowboys fan and say the goal is to win Super Bowls. Maybe 20+ years ago, but not any more. Winning one playoff game last year felt great. Winning 2 playoff games should be the next goal.

wileedog

Reaction score
You can't come close to guaranteeing a better result in the future, so I will take the better result in the present..

I can guarantee you that December wins in a lost season will give the team less options in the draft next year, and a harder schedule. Players that may be an ideal fit for the system and may add meaningful production for years to come may be off the board because the team won a random game in December, These are games that 20 minutes after the game is over, no one will really give a damn about.

I really don't get why this is so hard to understand.

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
You can't be a Cowboys fan and say the goal is to win Super Bowls. Maybe 20+ years ago, but not any more. Winning one playoff game last year felt great. Winning 2 playoff games should be the next goal.

Again, that's another pathetic showing of saying how far we've dropped as a franchise. A truly sad showing.

We should expect the Super Bowl or bust, exactly like the Patriots do. If we don't, then you know what we need to re-evaluate everything from the top down.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Again, that's another pathetic showing of saying how far we've dropped as a franchise. A truly sad showing.

We should expect the Super Bowl or bust, exactly like the Patriots do. If we don't, then you know what we need to re-evaluate everything from the top down.

Seeing how hard it is to win a Super Bowl, you're going to "bust" more often than not.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Really? Guaranteed ? Based on what will picking 5 spots earlier help the team .. Not sure if I share your confidence

What pick would you rather have? The 3rd or the 8th? Give me the 3rd every time. Does it guarantee that you'll get the better player? No. You still have to pick the right guy. Does it give you a chance to get a more highly rated player for your team? Yes. Do each of your picks have a higher trade value? Yes. So if I want to trade down a few spots from 3, I can likely get more in return than I would if I were picking 8th. So if I have a choice of finishing 6-10 or 3-13, give me 3-13 every time. I want to be in the best position to help my team during the draft and having a higher draft pick gives me more ammo to do just that. That doesn't meaning rooting for players to quit or for the team to get killed. I want to see young guys step up and for the team to play hard. However, I know it is probably better for us to have fewer wins in the end because of how it impacts our draft position.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I hope Dallas loses every single game left.

Better pick in each round and a softer schedule next year.

Pragmatism.

Spin it anyway you want to feel better about yourself but wanting to lose out is having a loser mentality.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I can guarantee you that December wins in a lost season will give the team less options in the draft next year, and a harder schedule. Players that may be an ideal fit for the system and may add meaningful production for years to come may be off the board because the team won a random game in December, These are games that 20 minutes after the game is over, no one will really give a damn about.

I really don't get why this is so hard to understand.

Because it's the difference from having a winning attitude versus a loser attitude. Those that find this hard to understand obviously have the latter.

btcutter

Reaction score

I want us to have a decent chance at winning a SB. What I don't want is knowing that I'll be eliminated from the early in the playoff. If we had a TEAM that has a chance then I am all for it. But we all know (don't kid yourselves) that this team has ZERO chance at winning SB then I rather get a higher pick than winning some meaningless games and a moral victory. I want a chance to get a better player so the team is better in the future.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We can absolutely cheer for a high draft pick. Who thinks Cassel will get us to 8-8 or even 7-9? It isn't happening folks. We won't get the #1 overall pick(destined for the Browns, IMO) but a high draft pick is coming to the Cowboys. And why not cheer for a high draft pick? Be happy, life is too short to not be enjoyed. Waiting for the highly unlikely to happen and then be sad that it didn't seems fool hardy. I accept our failure this year and have already moved on, I encourage others to do the same. 2016 will be here soon and it's bound to be better because 2015 sucked so bad in so many ways.
Happy freaking New Year CZers! :yourock:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
lol. So when we are cheering for our new QB in a game after Romo is injured once again next year, some posters here will still claim we are losers for that. Nah. Let's win out and get blown out in the 1st round. Then, next year when Romo gets injured during a game, we can be winners for having no reliable backup or potential successor.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Within stadiums during games, cheering can help inspire players and disrupt their concentration. Beyond that, cheering serves only to bolster one's own self-esteem and show homage for their favorite team.

Fans cheering outside the stadium does not create wins or losses, even from their living room couches or game bars.

Likewise, fans cheering for or against their teams winning or losing has zero effect on franchises' drafting order. And couching cheering has less than zero impact on which player franchises pick before, during or following the draft.

So the answer to the thread question is either "No since cheering doesn't serve any useful purpose beyond making people feel happy inside" or "Yes because some people believe in fantasy outcomes and that delusion is safer for everyone else who knows better."

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Top 5 pick in the draft helps us more in the long run then another 8-8 season

If the Cowboys end up 8-8 after being 3-8 that would give me some optimism for next season especially doing it without Romo. In my opinion finishing the season strong helps us more in the long run than having a top 5 pick that may never live up to expectations. Some here seem to look more forward to draft day and having a high pick than having a good season that will lower our draft position. There's teams that have high picks every year and continue to lose.