Can we stop the Eagles push?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I somehow doubt a free first down and more yards than they would have gotten with the play would frustrate them.
This was a scenario where we are on defense on the goalline. Not in the middle of the field. Penalty is only half the distance to goal.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Well....I have a solution nobody has considered.

So....when their offense lines up at the 1 yd line in the Shove Wedge....and they are getting amped up to charge right into us and shove a couple of thousands of pounds of humanity back 2 yards... WE load the line, start yelling, digging our feet in, ready to meet their charge....and then....then...at the moment of the snap when they all launch themselves with all their might to smash us backwards, we quickly step aside, like a matador dodging a bull....and watch Kelce go running 100mph right into the goal post and knock himself silly....with Hurts behind him...and everyone else piling up.....just like a train derailment.

I got that idea from Bugs Bunny.

If the cartoon is accurate...a large 1 foot bump will immediately rise up off Kelce's head, lifting his helmet up high off his head... at which point he'll get a 15 yard penalty for removing his helmet. Then....kelce would have to take a frying pan and tap his head bump down back into his skull until it disappeared, at which point he could put his helmet back on.

My other idea involved an ACME safe or a piano being hoisted up over the field....but lets not go there.

Adreme

Reaction score
This was a scenario where we are on defense on the goalline. Not in the middle of the field. Penalty is only half the distance to goal.
Unless the refs find you are repeatedly doing intentionally in order to stall in which they can either make it an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and either it is an automatic first down or TD depending on refs decision and game situation.

It’s the thing that prevents you from intentionally say having all your DBs tackle the receivers on the snap when there are 10 seconds left in the first half and they have no timeouts.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
They probably never played the sport.

One written rule my ex-teammates and I had, if an opposing team starts playing dirty or abusing a certain privilege to sneakingly/cowardly try to beat you, we would take action among ourselves on the field and do whatever it took to take out the threat and send a message.
LOL

I think you mean "un-written rule"

Tell us more about you and your "ex teammate"

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Unless the refs find you are repeatedly doing intentionally in order to stall in which they can either make it an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and either it is an automatic first down or TD depending on refs decision and game situation.

It’s the thing that prevents you from intentionally say having all your DBs tackle the receivers on the snap when there are 10 seconds left in the first half and they have no timeouts.
Dream crusher

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well....I have a solution nobody has considered.

So....when their offense lines up at the 1 yd line in the Shove Wedge....and they are getting amped up to charge right into us and shove a couple of thousands of pounds of humanity back 2 yards... WE load the line, start yelling, digging our feet in, ready to meet their charge....and then....then...at the moment of the snap when they all launch themselves with all their might to smash us backwards, we quickly step aside, like a matador dodging a bull....and watch Kelce go running 100mph right into the goal post and knock himself silly....with Hurts behind him...and everyone else piling up.....just like a train derailment.

I got that idea from Bugs Bunny.

If the cartoon is accurate...a large 1 foot bump will immediately rise up off Kelce's head, lifting his helmet up high off his head... at which point he'll get a 15 yard penalty for removing his helmet. Then....kelce would have to take a frying pan and tap his head bump down back into his skull until it disappeared, at which point he could put his helmet back on.

My other idea involved an ACME safe or a piano being hoisted up over the field....but lets not go there.
I chuckled at this. Good stuff

GORICO

Reaction score
And by this I mean that rugby scrum technique they use on fourth down to get a couple yards that has in no small form push them to the top of the NFC East and made them a contender for a super bowl.
Playing a team that only has to get 8 yards in three Downs and is pretty much guaranteed the other two is a handicap not many teams can overcome.

At this point after watching the success rate of this play my feeling is it needs to come to a screeching halt and the only way to accomplish that is make the risk not worth the reward.

I think there's not much else to do but take the penalty and do whatever you have to do to their quarterback to stop this play.
Your thoughts
yes we can stop it in tracks....just dont get 3rd and short....very simple

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
And what happens if they retaliate against Dak? We don't have exclusive rights to hurting Hurts. I never agreed with looking to hurt a player.
Where in any of my post did I say "hurt" Hurts? I said kill, which is try to take down, their QB who is running. I don't know if you know this or not, but every player with the ball is trying to be killed by other players. Killed not in the sense of murder, but I'm sure you understand.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We discussed that a little earlier in the thread about how you are allowed to push a player forward but you are not allowed to climb over a player to go forward so a defensive player could push another defensive player forward but he could not climb over him within the rules
You can’t clime over your own player. . I’m talking climbing on them lol.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Here's the solution. In the off season, go and sign 3 800 pound guys, and their only job is to clog up the lane on 2nd, 3rd or 4th and short. Pay them the league minimum.

DZSierra

Reaction score
Here's the solution. In the off season, go and sign 3 800 pound guys, and their only job is to clog up the lane on 2nd, 3rd or 4th and short. Pay them the league minimum.
I think what we all forget is that although some of these linemen are huge, they can be pretty quick and have pretty good technique for what they are supposed to do in their position. I'm only going to haphazzard a guess and make the statement that if you can find some 800lb guys to clog up the lane, they'll get manhandled off the line of scrimmage pretty easily.

Keep in mind, although an offensive lineman, Nate Newton at one time was pushing over 400lbs.

All that said, you could have been being facetious LOL

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Agreed, brother.

Go after Hurts' knees, blow one or both out, eliminate the dirty tush-push threat. Send the message to Siriani that if he wants to continue playing dirty ball, so will we along with other teams.
Then they blow out Dak and Micah's knees with dirty play. Sounds like a great plan dude.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
If inside the 2yd line, I would tee off early on their OL and push them back into Hurts. Take the half the distance, rinse, and repeat as long as they keep lining up in that formation. At some point one of two things will happen:
- They will be wary of getting free shots on their players and/or
- After 10 straight penalties bringing the game to a standstill the league will do something about it.
Yeah, they'll suspend players

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Eagles have converted 13 or 14 times on fourth down this year in the top of the league we've converted seven can't help it think if someone had an answer to that push they would have converted many less and lost a couple more games as they have been down in games at the half and had to come back and squeak out wins just my opinion.
This play has made a significant difference in their season.
The only time it was stopped Hurts fumbled the snap. It was stopped short on 3rd down once too but they did it again on 4th and converted

mattwill

Reaction score
Sooner or later this is gonna happen.
They're gonna be in a playoff game or even a Super Bowl, time running out inside the 10 yd line. They're just going to run that play four times and nobody is gonna stop them.
It's rugby.
It's crap, ban it.
Just eliminate pushing the ball carrier.
It isn’t as simple as just Kelce. Hurts has leg muscles that are so strong, he can squat over 700 pounds. That generates an incredible amount of forward drive.

Further, the Eagles O-line is such high quality that if the “pushers” were forbidden by rule to touch the QB, they would simply line up behind the Guards and drive forward from there. It would be just as successful.

mattwill

Reaction score
You're not allowed to use another player to elevate and jump over the pile but you can push another player forward in either instance you're using a player to go forward
Think of all the running plays where a lineman smashes into the players trying to stop Yuen ball carrier (or pass catcher). They are pushing too. Do you make those penalties as well?

mattwill

Reaction score
THAT'S the key issue from banning the play.

Honestly, have no qualms making pushing the ball carrier. Heck, I don't know when you can call the play dead if the ball carrier isn't on the ground.

We can all thank Reggie Busch's push in 2005 for the idea to begin with against Nortre Dame.

The issue is I think the NFL likes the idea of runners being pushed. Helps gain yardage.

You do have to begrudgingly give the eagles their due for coming up with that designed play and how proficient they have come with it. I do wonder when Kelce rettires if they will be as successful with it. I just wonder how much they practice that play to get good at it vs other teams who have now used it.
They practice it a lot each and every week. The successor to Kelce is already plying at RG … Cam Jurgens. He was hand picked by Kelce prior to the 2022 Draft.

mattwill

Reaction score
The problem is that the refs seem to allow the Eagles to run this play without calling offensive offsides. I forget what game it was but the Packers tried this 2 or 3 times and every time they were called offsides because the guard's helmet was in line with the center's helmet.
The refs have called Offsides on the Eagles twice this season.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Take shots right above the knee. Legal hit. Is it not? Do as the Eagles do......whatever it takes as long as it is allowed. Correct?
I think it isnt possible because he is laying on top of a pile and essentially rolling forward or sliding forward. I dont see how his knees can be hit especially when they aren't even planted on the ground.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Where in any of my post did I say "hurt" Hurts? I said kill, which is try to take down, their QB who is running. I don't know if you know this or not, but every player with the ball is trying to be killed by other players. Killed not in the sense of murder, but I'm sure you understand.
Don't count on anybody understanding much of anything here.
Your best efforts to convey just about anything can be misconstrued here