Can we stop the Eagles push?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Or 4th and 2.

That's the advantage of the play it's virtually guaranteed to produce yardage.

So even 3rd and long doesn't help if they get within 2 yards.
Yup. If they get you to third and 2 you are basically dead in the water. They have 2 plays to pick up 2 yd using a play that almost guarantees 1 to 2 yd each time

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take shots right above the knee. Legal hit. Is it not? Do as the Eagles do......whatever it takes as long as it is allowed. Correct?
It's not a legal hit on a QB in the pocket, nor is it legal to plan and carry out a premeditated intent to injure. Again, the Cowboys and Cowboy fans considered that dirty when Washington did it in the 1970's and the Eagles did it in the 1990's, yet here you are justifying it if the Cowboys do it in 2023.

"Do as the Eagles do" would make sense in the context of this discussion if you advocated the Cowboys running the same play the Eagles are running, but advocating a malicious and premeditated effort to cause a major injury in response to the Eagles merely running a play from scrimmage is not doing "as the Eagles do".

Blackrain

Reaction score
If you break down the stats, it's actually higher than 93% when it's a second try and less than 1 yard.

Here is a noval idea...Don't let the eagles run or don't let them pass for more than 8 yards in 3 downs.

I could be wrong, but I would think any team that feels confident picking up 1-2 yards on a 4th down will go for it.
I believe that most teams probably try to limit them to under eight yards on three Downs but sometimes it doesn't work out that way and this team is so confident and has had so much success that they seem to be able to do it anywhere on the field where most other teams at least wait till they get over the 50 yard line to try this

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's not a legal hit on a QB in the pocket, nor is it legal to plan and carry out a premeditated intent to injure. Again, the Cowboys considered that dirty when Washington did it in the 1970's and the Eagles did it in the 1990's, yet here you are justifying it if the Cowboys do it in 2023.

"Do as the Eagles do" would make sense in the context of this discussion if you advocated the Cowboys running the same play the Eagles are running, but advocating a malicious and premeditated effort to cause a major injury in response to the Eagles merely running a play from scrimmage is not doing "as the Eagles do".
You're trying your hardest to cover up for Jalen Hurts and the Eagles. Who said anything about hitting Hurts above the knees while he is a passer in the pocket? He tends to venture outside the pocket many times, plus he's also a runner. Hitting him hard right above the knees is LEGAL. There is nothing malicious or premeditated to go hit him hard to slow him down and make him think twice about continuing his tush-push crap play. Hey, it's part of the game. Whatever it takes to win the game just the way the Eagles do. Right? Or do you prefer to lose? Or worse, do you side with the Eagles over the Cowboys?

Blackrain

Reaction score
Two wrongs do not make a right. You sir are no better than a philthy eagirls fan. Embrace it lmao I just find it funny how some cowboys fans think they're better than dumb eagles fans. One thing I've learned living all over the world is that no matter where you are at, you have the same type of people you have to deal with no matter where where you live, good and bad (point being, there are good and bad fans for every NFL team if you can't comprehend it).

The added reality is a hit on a player can be considered "dirty" by all means, but how exactly is the push tush a "dirty" play?
You may have lived all over the world but I've lived 12 miles outside of Philadelphia for my whole life and I can tell you these people hate the Dallas Cowboys more than anyone else in the whole world and are not above doing anything to hurt any of our players that includes the players on their team and the fans they even had a coach that took out a bounty on players so you'll have to excuse me if my heart just doesn't bleed for the poor eagles if they somehow sustain an injury from attempting their quarterback sneak play

Blackrain

Reaction score
How is this different from having a kicker who can routinely hit FGs from >55 yards, like Matt Prater, Justin Tucker or Sebastian Janikowski? Teams should take advantage of whatever competitive edge they have.
I'm not saying they shouldn't team should take advantage of whatever competitive edge they have.
As a team in their division that have to play them twice a year and possibly in the playoffs need to make it a priority to negate that competitive edge

DZSierra

Reaction score
I believe that most teams probably try to limit them to under eight yards on three Downs but sometimes it doesn't work out that way and this team is so confident and has had so much success that they seem to be able to do it anywhere on the field where most other teams at least wait till they get over the 50 yard line to try this
If you're going to lose a game because your defense allowed 3 or 4 fouth down 1 yard gains, did you really deserve to win the game anyway?

I'm taking the attitude that if it comes down to the Eagles making a difference in the game by getting a yard on 4th down and one a couple of times (heck, even3 or 4 of them), we can whine all night, but in the end, Dallas wasn't the better team.

Please note in another thread I also that pointed out that by winning by a higher point on the teams you played vs another upcoming team, wins by point s differentials doesn't necessarily make you a better team.

I think Philly is a great team. I also think that if Dak plays well and the defense shows up, and the team doesn't lay any farts for any reason on the field, Dallas should win.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're trying your hardest to cover up for Jalen Hurts and the Eagles. Who said anything about hitting Hurts above the knees while he is a passer in the pocket? He tends to venture outside the pocket many times, plus he's also a runner. Hitting him hard right above the knees is LEGAL. There is nothing malicious or premeditated to go hit him hard to slow him down and make him think twice about continuing his tush-push crap play. Hey, it's part of the game. Whatever it takes to win the game just the way the Eagles do. Right? Or do you prefer to lose? Or worse, do you side with the Eagles over the Cowboys?
Cover up what for what with Jalen Hurts and the Eagles? A legal play from scrimmage? lol That's nonsensical.

If I said it's fair for them to run a screen pass or off tackle run would that be covering up for them? It's a play from scrimmage that is fair game for the Eagles, Cowboys or any other team to run.

Running a play from scrimmage is not cheating, malicious or dirty.

Yet what you advocate blatantly is cheating, malicious and dirty, and I have no doubt that if you saw the Eagles clearly targeting Dak's knees, or Lamb;s knees, you would be up in arms about that.

BTW, are you good missing tackles and giving up yards and scores focusing on attacking knees instead of trying to make the most sure tackle? Yeah, that should help the team ...

DZSierra

Reaction score
You may have lived all over the world but I've lived 12 miles outside of Philadelphia for my whole life and I can tell you these people hate the Dallas Cowboys more than anyone else in the whole world and are not above doing anything to hurt any of our players that includes the players on their team and the fans they even had a coach that took out a bounty on players so you'll have to excuse me if my heart just doesn't bleed for the poor eagles if they somehow sustain an injury from attempting their quarterback sneak play
Never mind.

You explained it all when you stated you've lived outside of Philly your entire life. For better or worse, you've become your "enemy".

I've worked in Philly an Pittsburgh. I'm not a city guy, but will take the western side of that state if I had to go back (which will never happen).

I graduated from high school and college in Pa, and am familiar with the state, so I speak from my own experiences.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Cover up what for what with Jalen Hurts and the Eagles? A legal play from scrimmage? lol That's nonsensical.

If I said it's fair for them to run a screen pass or off tackle run would that be covering up for them? It's a play from scrimmage that is fair game for the Eagles, Cowboys or any other team to run.

Running a play from scrimmage is not cheating, malicious or dirty.

Yet what you advocate blatantly is cheating, malicious and dirty, and I have no doubt that if you saw the Eagles clearly targeting Dak's knees, or Lamb;s knees, you would be up in arms about that.

BTW, are you good missing tackles and giving up yards and scores focusing on attacking knees instead of trying to make the most sure tackle? Yeah, that should help the team ...
You obviously didn't play the game with that kind of thinking. Football is brutal. It's not for the weak of heart. Maybe you should try watching golf.

Blackrain

Reaction score
If you're going to lose a game because your defense allowed 3 or 4 fouth down 1 yard gains, did you really deserve to win the game anyway?

I'm taking the attitude that if it comes down to the Eagles making a difference in the game by getting a yard on 4th down and one a couple of times (heck, even3 or 4 of them), we can whine all night, but in the end, Dallas wasn't the better team.

Please note in another thread I also that pointed out that by winning by a higher point on the teams you played vs another upcoming team, wins by point s differentials doesn't necessarily make you a better team.

I think Philly is a great team. I also think that if Dak plays well and the defense shows up, and the team doesn't lay any farts for any reason on the field, Dallas should win.
I think we can win too I also believe if we can stop that play we can demoralize their whole team if we put more defensive lineman behind our down lineman and maybe have a gunner on each corner where we can stand their line up for a moment and one of our guns can get in there and knock hurts down before he gets any momentum we would demoralize that whole team and take their pet play away I believe we should make it a priority.

We disagree on the fact that you believe the play is a non-factor in the game and I believe it should be made a priority to stop it because I believe it can change the whole game and yes if we can't stop it we don't deserve to win all the more reason why we need to figure out a way to stop it and not let it be the reason we lose.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And by this I mean that rugby scrum technique they use on fourth down to get a couple yards that has in no small form push them to the top of the NFC East and made them a contender for a super bowl.
Playing a team that only has to get 8 yards in three Downs and is pretty much guaranteed the other two is a handicap not many teams can overcome.

At this point after watching the success rate of this play my feeling is it needs to come to a screeching halt and the only way to accomplish that is make the risk not worth the reward.

I think there's not much else to do but take the penalty and do whatever you have to do to their quarterback to stop this play.
Your thoughts
Instead of going low climb over the top step on them

Blackrain

Reaction score
Instead of going low climb over the top step on them
We discussed that a little earlier in the thread about how you are allowed to push a player forward but you are not allowed to climb over a player to go forward so a defensive player could push another defensive player forward but he could not climb over him within the rules

mote

Reaction score
Called out for what? A legal hit to get rid of a threat? Do you like to win or lose?
You've been advocating to "hurt" Hurts or one of the other players by using dirty tactics throughout this thread to disincentivize the Eagles from running their "tush push". But, god forbid the Eagles do that to Dak, and then it's "those dirty rat lowlifes..." It's hypocrisy. That you cannot acknowledge that reflects your own lack of insight.

Thank you Sensei! (And we all know how that turned out....)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You obviously didn't play the game with that kind of thinking. Football is brutal. It's not for the weak of heart. Maybe you should try watching golf.
With what kind of thinking?

Pouting because the other team is effective at running a particular play?

Calling things dirty that aren't because it is hard to stop?

Ignoring things that actually are dirty as long as it is you that does it?

The reality is I haven't said a thing that is contrary to hitting hard, paying tough and pouring heart, soul, blood and guts onto the field.

What I have said is poor logic, double standards and irrationally imagining you are being wronged when you aren't is nonsensical, and frankly, that's the kind of thinking that can actually harm a football team.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Well in reality they already have leverage as a penalty. And having your mates shove you like a suppository is leverage
I very much think it could be called leverage but they never penalize it as such.
Because of that we need to come up with a way to stop it before it stops US

Trendnet

Reaction score
We discussed that a little earlier in the thread about how you are allowed to push a player forward but you are not allowed to climb over a player to go forward so a defensive player could push another defensive player forward but he could not climb over him within the rules
I don't think it's the LB's going over the DL, but the DL going over the OL. The Tush Push seems to "me", largely successful is because the Dline goes low and Philly's Oline just slides over the top of them.

Either stand them up, or don't let them slide over the top. But I'm no expert, so what do I know. /shrug.