Cap Hell?

Gambit

Reaction score
2 seasons ago we were all in and lacked a #2 receiver almost all year until we signed TY Hilton off the couch

Last season we were all in and never upgraded the RB position even though Pollard was ineffective and the run game was anemic.

Next season the FO will duplicate the same methodology and expect different results.

As far as enjoying football, I look forward to watching playoff football where the best front offices, coaches and players show us what excellence looks like.

Football is WAY bigger than the Cowboys for some of us.
Who said we were all in last couple of years?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
We are going to be in cap hell if we keep these three. Parsons is going to want the world. Should we consider trading Prescott, Parsons and Lamb? Can we get a first round pick for Prescott and Lamb and maybe two for Parsons? Take a QB with best pick. Take a LB & OL with the next 2.
Blimey!
No one is going to give two #1s for Parsons.
All the opposing team has to do is double up on Parsons and give him his 3/4 sack average per game. Then they turn him into a JAG.
Get rid of Dak and keep Lamb (at an earthly price).

shabazz

Reaction score
Who said we were all in last couple of years?
Jerry has said it. He said the goal is a Championship and that is the standard in Dallas.

How can any team go 12-5 the last couple seasons and NOT be trying to go all in?

Gambit

Reaction score
Jerry has said it. He said the goal is a Championship and that is the standard in Dallas.

How can any team go 12-5 the last couple seasons and NOT be trying to go all in?
This is the only year I recall him actually saying the words all in. If you can provide supporting evidence to your claim I'd happily admit I'm wrong. Until then your trying to use your own feelings and agenda to say something that wasn't stated

Wildcat711

Reaction score
We are going to be in cap hell if we keep these three. Parsons is going to want the world. Should we consider trading Prescott, Parsons and Lamb? Can we get a first round pick for Prescott and Lamb and maybe two for Parsons? Take a QB with best pick. Take a LB & OL with the next 2.
I don't see how we get better if we get rid of our best players... you could talk me into Dak but the other two I would like to see as Cowboys for the rest of their careers.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
There are people here that know a lot more about the cap than I do.. so a quick question...

What is the date that you have to be under the cap?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
According to Over the Cap, simply restructuring Dak's last year (because of the Void years built in), Martin, and Diggs gives them $22M+ in cap room. Then, if they extend CeeDee, that would probably drop his $17M+ cap hit down to $10M or less. So, they could EASILY have $30M in Cap Space for FA WITHOUT EXTENDING DAK. And, they would have $95M+ in '25 with 40 players signed.
You might want to let Stephen know because you will see him using this excuse multiple times this off season. This one is on top of his list. Cap boy at his best.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Name the last team that was in cap hell. It’s a joke. Teams can do anything they want, including cutting high vet salaries in favor of a youth movement or simply saving money when they aren’t competitive and get away with it by blaming the cap.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
And we hear that nearly every year, and it never happens. When will people learn.

Jerry and Stephen may not be cap gurus, but they know that restructuring pushes money into the future, etc. and that the bill will come due sooner or later.
They allow for that to happen, at least to some degree....
But it doesn't really. They keep pushing it forward and we have NEVER come to a spot where we had to dump salaries and start all over. It hasn't happened. The problem is they don't go all in, no matter what they say. I would much rather they take a shot and go all in, even if it means a couple years of 1 and 16. It's cyclical...you make a few trade offs. This never ending circle of being pretty good but never great and never really bad is kind of crappy, don't ya think?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Name the last team that was in cap hell. It’s a joke. Teams can do anything they want, including cutting high vet salaries in favor of a youth movement or simply saving money when they aren’t competitive and get away with it by blaming the cap.
You're using the wrong or should I say hyperbolic term.....whilst there's no CAP HELL, there's certainly CAP Disagvantage, where you fill the roster with JAG's. You'll always find the money for your 'Stars', but fail because you're only as good as your weakest elements.....
..... and THAT is Jerry's no.1 problem, loving the star name to the detriment of the roster

MyFairLady

Reaction score
2023 we had 20.5 million in dead money.
2022 we had 33 million in dead money.
2021 we had 27 million in dead money. D Flaw alone had a cap hit of 25 million.
2020 we had 26 million in dead money.

Take a look at our performance in the playoffs. Since 2016 have we had a team that looked like it had a chance? In 2024 Zack Martin has a cap hit of 28.5 million. Some say the cap is not real. That is only true if you look at it year by year in isolation. If you look at it with a wider lens it is very much real. Our reckless spending is why our team has no depth. It is why we fade at the end every year. It is why we look fast and physical on opening day and get pushed around like a baby in the playoffs. 2016 was the last time we had a real squad and that was because we had a major purge and youth movement. We need that again ASAP.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Actually, you could say we were in CAP HELL a couple of years ago where we faced TWO consecutive years where we were close to maxing our the CAP.... that restricted any free agents. At least, theoretically, we could make a run at free agency this year ,with all of the potential restructures, however, with the deferred money on Dak and the extensions the window to compete may well be as shorf as one year.