Cardinals Had To Add 4 Hours Of "Independent Study" Per Game Week To Kyler Murrays Contract

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think we do already have one. What we lack is a competent OC. Prior and during the Pats game, he played at an elite level. After that, he struggled. What changed? He was injured, and Moore didn't adjust. If Mike were to have assumed playcalling controls, especially having had Brett Favre who would play through everything, he'd have known how to adjust.
Could be, it was the tale of 2 seasons.
He was lights out the first 6 games, so we know he has it in him.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Ok maybe that’s what I’m thinking about in regards to Romo.

I mean it’s clear for Romo to have made it as far as he did that preparation or studying was never a issue for him.

But a guy like Murray who’s yet to live up to his potential seems to be trying to get by on skill. And that’s scary to invest that much money in. Especially since he won’t even have DHop for the first weeks of the season….Murray is a wierd case. Good kid and gifted but he’s limited due to his size. He has to use his brains to overcompensate for that and he doesn’t seem to feel like he should I guess.
Agreed, scary to pay that contract with that kind of concern out there.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Imagine paying this guy as much money as Arizona did and then having to require, in his contract, that he watches at least 4 hours of film a week instead of playing video games.

Yes, the Cardinals literally had to add "playing video games" as something not allowed during Kylers mandated 4 hours of film watching per game week.

We'll make you 1 of the highest paid NFL players ever, but you have to promise that you'll care about your job, Kyler.

This is embarrassing for both Kyler and the Cardinals, but hey, it was his turn to get paid and that's just how contracts work, right?

Yeah this is incredible and exactly why you don't pay Murray.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Is this uncommon? Didn’t Romo have a clause like this in his contract? Trying to find a article on it but I thought this was common for guys to have clauses like this….
No. Romo did not.

Romo was a student of the game and was involved in every single offensive coaches meeting, and provided input on game plans. Also he and Witten developed the Y option on a napkin together. Romo did not need a "do your job" clause in his contract.

Shame on you lol

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Agree !!! If we get the first 6 games Dak, this team would be a force to be reckoned with !
:dance::dance::dance:

Yes, not saying we go all the way as anything can happen. But this could be a really dangerous team. We also need our oline to improve to 1. Keep Dak healthy and 2. Improve our run game which is a big thing for our team and always has been.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Me personally, I'd ignore it. But I'd respect the money part in regard to the contract. If I got injured and was out, I can understand why I shouldn't be paid for that time. The Murray situation is different. This is something he should be doing anyway if need be. He's being paid to know what he's doing out on that field.
I totally agree with you. I guess the team doesn’t have confidence in him to do it on his own but just goes to show that maybe he doesn’t have the desire to be the best. I think I might watching to many Koby Bryant, Michael Jordan interviews. I have been watching the Jeter’s the Captain on ESPN and I see their desire to be the best. I know not everyone has that though.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Yes, not saying we go all the way as anything can happen. But this could be a really dangerous team. We also need our oline to improve to 1. Keep Dak healthy and 2. Improve our run game which is a big thing for our team and always has been.
OL is my largest concern right now,
1, our center is weak
2. we are counting on a rook at LG
3. LT has not plated a full season since 2015
4. Our depth is really thin.

Flamma

Reaction score
I totally agree with you. I guess the team doesn’t have confidence in him to do it on his own but just goes to show that maybe he doesn’t have the desire to be the best. I think I might watching to many Koby Bryant, Michael Jordan interviews. I have been watching the Jeter’s the Captain on ESPN and I see their desire to be the best. I know not everyone has that though.

Right. You're watching legends. Do you think Tom Brady needs something in his contract requiring him to study weekly? Or the need to give Jerry Rice a workout bonus?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is this uncommon? Didn’t Romo have a clause like this in his contract? Trying to find a article on it but I thought this was common for guys to have clauses like this….
That was my question at first, but apparently it isnt common for such high profile deals.

My question is: Why leak this? Its such bad optics not just for him, but the organization as well