Carl Nicks "Expected to Leave the Saints" - Adam Schefter

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
I wonder what our defense would have done in 2011 if we had Vic Fangio instead of Rob Ryan...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheSport78;4378872 said:
I wonder what our defense would have done in 2011 if we had Vic Fangio instead of Rob Ryan...
With the same players? About the same.

Eskimo

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4378854 said:
not sure what the problem here is...if its clear as day that there is an issue, why cant anyone show me a draft source that brings it to light..again, i am not suggesting that there isnt a problem..i just havent seen any other source label it as such..just asking for proof

There are plenty of sources explaining what his medical condition is.

No one out there has really explained the problem of recurrent DVT which is what I did in post #27.

Presently the standard of care for a 2nd unprovoked DVT is lifelong anti-coagulation which would prevent him from playing football again.

The only question to straighten out is what his individual risk is going to be while playing football say over the next 10 years. Due to all the trauma involved and possible blood vessel damage coupled with some immobility from say an ankle sprain here and a knee sprain there could add up to a substantial risk during his playing days.

From population studies of all unprovoked DVT the rate of recurrence is 30% in the next 10 years. That risk may be higher on the basis of all the genetic tests and hypercoagulability tests he has been given. That risk is still going to be higher because of the nature of his profession.

That is the extent of publically available information. The only people who know more are Konz and his doctors.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Eskimo;4378867 said:
The problem with Felix is his reputation for being "glass".

He is actually only missed a few games in the last 3 years but that is his rep.

We won't got proper value for him in a trade. Due to all the injury concerns and the fact he has only one year left on his deal I'd be surprised if we could get more than a 4th round pick for him right now. With that 4th round pick we'd probably be forced to draft another RB who would be very inferior to Felix.

It may be controversial but I would like to re-sign Felix at a discounted salary structure. He is very young (25 years old) and actually has very little mileage on his body due to his spot duty in college and pro ball. None of his injuries should have any major lingering effects. In his new role as KOR, COP back and 3rd down back he can be electric. He is a very good receiver, he is great at picking up the blitz, he is great at running the draw and he is brilliant at screen passes. He should be dynamite in this role with Murray as the starter and we might be able to sign him up for around $3-4M/yr. For all the complaints about him he put up 3 100-yard games last year as the starter and averaged around 5ypc. I think he has a career avg of 5.5 ypc which is quite rare in this league and he has done it playing with a below average OL and without good FB play. He is also a much bigger threat than Murray to take one to the house.

I'd agree to trading Felix but only if we could get a mid-2nd rounder which we could then use for a starter at OLB, OG or CB. Anything less and we are just creating another hole on our roster which will consume an equivalent pick.

I think he may be able to accent Murray but he is a dumb player man. In one game this year he didn't stay in bounds to run down the clock but instead ran right out of bounds on his own. Then another game, it's 4th down and instead of trying to pick up the first, he runs out of bounds as fast as he can. He clearly didn't know it was 4th down. Against the Giants he fumbles on our own 10 yard line. Every single year he gets hurt, he is not a dependable football player period. We don't need guys who are going to continue making dumb mistakes and be unreliable.

Murray came in as a rookie and not only is he on a whole other level as a RB, he is a ton smarter than Felix too. I cannot think of one mistake he made in all the games he played this year. No fumbles at all, never even one fumble in his whole college career either. If we can get something decent for Felix on defense we should certainly trade him away.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Eskimo;4378882 said:
There are plenty of sources explaining what his medical condition is.

No one out there has really explained the problem of recurrent DVT which is what I did in post #27.

Presently the standard of care for a 2nd unprovoked DVT is lifelong anti-coagulation which would prevent him from playing football again.

The only question to straighten out is what his individual risk is going to be while playing football say over the next 10 years. Due to all the trauma involved and possible blood vessel damage coupled with some immobility from say an ankle sprain here and a knee sprain there could add up to a substantial risk during his playing days.

From population studies of all unprovoked DVT the rate of recurrence is 30% in the next 10 years. That risk may be higher on the basis of all the genetic tests and hypercoagulability tests he has been given. That risk is still going to be higher because of the nature of his profession.

That is the extent of publically available information. The only people who know more are Konz and his doctors.

Whether the Cowboys get his services or not, I pray him the best...

Eskimo

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4378884 said:
I think he may be able to accent Murray but he is a dumb player man. In one game this year he didn't stay in bounds to run down the clock but instead ran right out of bounds on his own. Then another game, it's 4th down and instead of trying to pick up the first, he runs out of bounds as fast as he can. He clearly didn't know it was 4th down. Against the Giants he fumbles on our own 10 yard line. Every single year he gets hurt, he is not a dependable football player period. We don't need guys who are going to continue making dumb mistakes and be unreliable.

Murray came in as a rookie and not only is he on a whole other level as a RB, he is a ton smarter than Felix too. I cannot think of one mistake he made in all the games he played this year. No fumbles at all, never even one fumble in his whole college career either. If we can get something decent for Felix on defense we should certainly trade him away.

The problem is that we're not going to get something decent for him.

The fumble inside the 10 was a freak athletic play by JPP. No one else in the league can even come close to making that play. With his agility and 7-4 wingspan he makes freak plays so I'm not going to blame Felix for that one.

I agree the play at the end of the game against Detroit was bad but I just believe that the team forgot it was 4th down with the clocked ball. Romo should have clarified that to everyone before the snap and I'm not sure what happened there.

As far as intelligence I think you are being too hard on him. He is one of the best in the league in blitz pickup - he is far, far superior to Murray in that role.

CCBoy

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4378884 said:

That also is a classical 'rook' mistake...and those generally aren't fatal in a career.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
RS12;4378612 said:
Hope Nicks comes here but rumor was Brees would do cap friendly deal. Saints brass is smart enough to know if Brees goes down, season over.

Why would Brees do a cap friendly deal now when he has shutdown contract talks during the season and walked away because as his agent said, "they aren't even close," if he wouldn't do a cap friendly deal then why now?

hutch1254

Reaction score
Eskimo;4378827 said:
The "chest pain thing" is really the big concern as that can lead to early medical retirement.

Yeah that scares me a lot. That and it appears he is out a handful of games each year. Too bad really. You want to see the kid do well and draft him but the risk involved would have me looking other places. Hey for all we know Konz works out great in the NFL but I would be leery personally.

Eskimo

Reaction score
CCBoy;4378904 said:
Whether the Cowboys get his services or not, I pray him the best...

yes, this is a serious condition that he has. I hope he never has another one and lives a long, healthy life.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Eskimo;4378946 said:
yes, this is a serious condition that he has. I hope he never has another one and lives a long, healthy life.

Any posts about medical stuff should be welcomed by a doc.

Thanks for the insight eskimo.

Aven8

Reaction score
Nicks is a FA and everybody assumes he comes here.

My bet is on Philly getting Nicks. It makes me wanna puke, but Reid covets guards and they have a ton of cap room.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Aven8;4379017 said:
Nicks is a FA and everybody assumes he comes here.

My bet is on Philly getting Nicks. It makes me wanna puke, but Reid covets guards and they have a ton of cap room.

Philly better not get him. They already jacked Nnamdi and another FA I wanted (Cullin Jenkins).

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Hostile;4378601 said:
I've been pimping the kid since last year. I honestly think he is one of the two biggest links to the next level of football and DeCastro is the 2nd. Our Interior OL is by far our biggest shortcoming. Get them and add Brewster or Blake or Konz (health may push him down) in the 3rd and I feel really good about our chances.

So you don't want to address our putrid secondary at all? I'd love to get Nicks, but unless the draft just happens to fall wrong, I'd rather take a corner or pass rusher in the first round. At least in the 2nd. Again, it just depends on how the draft falls.

slomoxn

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;4378837 said:
In the history of the Dallas Cowboys and free agency, there might not be a free agent whose acquisition makes more sense for the Cowboys than Carl Nicks.
There was the Waters guy last year... But in what you are saying this is the very reason Jerry won't go after him. In all the years I have been reading posts on this board about who Dallas should take in FA Jones has NEVER done what seemed to make sense to the people on this board who have some kind of sense about the GM job.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Eskimo;4378646 said:
Hos, the problem with Konz is that he had an unprovoked pulmonary embolism. This is a condition in which a blood clot or DVT (deep vein thrombosis) forms somewhere in the body (usually one of your calves) and then a chunk of clot breaks off and enters your heart. It then gets sent to your lungs for oxygenation but ends up getting stuck in one of your pulmonary arteries. If the clot is big enough it can be devastating and kill you instantly. Most people do survive, though.

There are many risk factors for DVTs such as previous DVT, blood coagulation disorder, cancer, immobility, obesity and major bone fracture.

Now since Konz is very young and had an unprovoked DVT there is a good chance that he has some sort of coagulation disorder that predisposes him to DVTs. If this is the case his risk of recurrence may be pretty darn high. Genetic and coagulation testing will help better identify what his risk of recurrence is and I assume they will sort this out before the draft and they actually likely have sorted this out already.

The treatment for most DVTs is relatively straightforward. It is usually aIt bout 6 months of blood thinners like Coumadin. This is usually not a huge deal.

Now the problem is for people who have recurrent DVTs. The current medical recommendation is that for people who have had 2 DVTs should be on lifelong anti-coagulation.

The problem is that you cannot be medically cleared for contact sports while being anti-coagulated as the risk of suffering a major bleed (especially a brain hemorrhage) is considered too high.

Thus if Konz has another DVT he may be medically disqualified from playing professional football because of the need for anti-coagulation.

I've got personal knowledge here. I had a DVT and subsequent pulmonary embolus (several of them) that almost killed me in 2001. It was the result of getting hit in the calf with a softball bat during a game. Didn't know anything was wrong until I was getting out of breath doing the slightest of tasks and had a lot of burning in my chest. I was put in the hospital for 10 days and put on heparin (IV blood thinner). I've been on coumadin ever since due to the damage to the blood vein. I also had a IVC filter inserted to catch any additional clots that could form before they go to my heart/lungs. Believe me. Not being able to breath is a scary thing.

Bluestang

Reaction score
TheSport78;4378872 said:

I think we can all put the issue to rest because Rob Ryan didn't really do squat with these players on defense. Fangio has the luxury of Bowman and Willis as the heart of his D both of which are three down players. How many times did we see James and Brooking get picked on in pass coverage?

They also had a better secondary talent wise. Once we get some quality players on the back end and a solid pass rusher at DE this defense will turn around.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;4378632 said:
Why would it eliminate it?

For the exact same reason that NO is letting him go. You can sit there and dream that Jerry would invest both a huge FA contract and a 1st round draft pick in an interior linemen but you really should know better.

He coveted Iupati so it makes sense that he could rate one high but unless DeCastro is there and no DL or CB is present I do not see him taking an OG even moreso if Nicks is already here.

Furthermore, its bad resource allocation. We have Arkin and Nagy who the team likes. You essentially are giving up on our player development by getting 2 big name OG. We need a center more than we need a second guard anyway. Costa is physically unable to be consistent at the position.

Ive watched t rex overreach too many times now and end up face first in the turf because of it.