Carl Nicks "Expected to Leave the Saints" - Adam Schefter

ufcrules1

Reaction score
If Claiborne and Kirkpatrick are gone when it gets to the 14th pick and Decastro is still there, it's a no brainer to draft him. It's very likely that will happen. I know Claiborne will be gone.. not sure about Kirkpatrick though.

weaver21

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4380590 said:
If Claiborne and Kirkpatrick are gone when it gets to the 14th pick and Decastro is still there, it's a no brainer to draft him. It's very likely that will happen. I know Claiborne will be gone.. not sure about Kirkpatrick though.

Kirkpatrick will most likely not drop, but if he does the Cowboys have to draft him. He will be a shutdown corner in the NFL. I see the Cowboys selecting either him if he's still there or DeCastro if Kirkpatrick is already selected. DeCastro will be a beast too so it should be win-win unless Jerry does something stupid.

rooler

Benched
Reaction score
I much rather take Brewster

than Konz think Brewster will be the better pro

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Blue Eyed Devil;4378572 said:
Jerry. Checkbook. Now.

Wait a sec, haven't we had knowledgeable posters in here insist that the Saints would never let him get away?? Even when some of us tried to point out that they had other, more significant free agents who would need re-signing, even when some of us tried to point out that they could easily have re-signed him to a multi-year deal last rather (rather than the one year deal they did sign him to) if keeping him was such a critical priority for them, they stood firm in their certainty that Carl Nicks was going to remain a Saint...

This is very confusing... :D

silverbear

Reaction score
Blue Eyed Devil;4378572 said:
Jerry. Checkbook. Now.

Uhhhh, no...

But ONLY because that would be tampering... keep a big chunk of cash in the checking account, it won't be long before you can fire up the ol' Gulfstream and go guard hunting legally...

:D

silverbear

Reaction score
hsfolk;4378576 said:
Saints will get a new deal w/ Brees worked out quickly and franchise Nicks

After Brees comes Colston... you might want to take a sober look at their cap situation before you assume that they'll be able or willing to throw around big free agent dollars at too many free agents...

silverbear

Reaction score
Prossman;4378579 said:
yes he is , hes coming to dallas!!!:cool: prossman

From your keyboard to God's monitor...

Did I just update an old saying for the digital age?? :D

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile;4378601 said:
I've been pimping the kid since last year. I honestly think he is one of the two biggest links to the next level of football and DeCastro is the 2nd. Our Interior OL is by far our biggest shortcoming. Get them and add Brewster or Blake or Konz (health may push him down) in the 3rd and I feel really good about our chances.

You can add Blake in the 4th round, I'm confident of that... he's probably my favorite center prospect for the Boys right now...

Blake, DeCastro and Nicks in the middle, Free on the right and Tyron on the left... yeah, I like the sound of that...

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile;4378624 said:
I honestly do not know what issue Konz is supposed to have. Can you be enlightening for me?

I may not see it until late this afternoon or early evening. Headed out to Church, but I would like your insight.

Konz had to miss the Badgers' bowl game after the 2010 season because of a couple of blood clots... word is, if he ever has a recurrence of those clots, he'll have to go on blood thinners for life, which would end his NFL career abruptly...

silverbear

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4378633 said:
Is there a reason why nobody else is aware of this problem w Konz?!? Not trying to be a *****, just literally haven't seen anyone else, anywhere, mention it

It's out there if you look... try googling "Peter Konz blood clots", you should find enough links to satisfy yourself as to the veracity of the assertion...

I was a BIG Konz fan until I learned about this issue...

silverbear

Reaction score
Eskimo;4378646 said:
Hos, the problem with Konz is that he had an unprovoked pulmonary embolism. This is a condition in which a blood clot or DVT (deep vein thrombosis) forms somewhere in the body (usually one of your calves) and then a chunk of clot breaks off and enters your heart. It then gets sent to your lungs for oxygenation but ends up getting stuck in one of your pulmonary arteries. If the clot is big enough it can be devastating and kill you instantly. Most people do survive, though.

There are many risk factors for DVTs such as previous DVT, blood coagulation disorder, cancer, immobility, obesity and major bone fracture.

Now since Konz is very young and had an unprovoked DVT there is a good chance that he has some sort of coagulation disorder that predisposes him to DVTs. If this is the case his risk of recurrence may be pretty darn high. Genetic and coagulation testing will help better identify what his risk of recurrence is and I assume they will sort this out before the draft and they actually likely have sorted this out already.

The treatment for most DVTs is relatively straightforward. It is usually about 6 months of blood thinners like Coumadin. This is usually not a huge deal.

Now the problem is for people who have recurrent DVTs. The current medical recommendation is that for people who have had 2 DVTs should be on lifelong anti-coagulation.

The problem is that you cannot be medically cleared for contact sports while being anti-coagulated as the risk of suffering a major bleed (especially a brain hemorrhage) is considered too high.

Thus if Konz has another DVT he may be medically disqualified from playing professional football because of the need for anti-coagulation.

Best explanation I've read about this, Eskimo... very good presentation...

hsfolk

Reaction score
silverbear;4380893 said:
After Brees comes Nicks... you might want to take a sober look at their cap situation before you assume that they'll be able or willing to throw around big free agent dollars at too many free agents...

FIFY :)

silverbear

Reaction score
hutch1254;4378676 said:
Could you imagine getting Nicks and Decastro?

I've tried, and I end up needing a cold shower... LOL...

Seriously, do that and your offensive line is set at 4 of the 5 positions-- Tyron Smith at LT, DeCastro at LG, Nicks at RG, Free at RT...

All you need then is an upgrade at center, and hope that some of your incumbent young talent (Arkin, Nagy, Kowalski, Costa, Parnell) develops into quality depth...

Works for me...

silverbear

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4378677 said:
Must not be serious at all...nobody else even brings it up

Is that the case, or are you just not paying close enough attention??

I mean, I knew all about it, and SDogo has suggested that it's a real consideration in the coaching world...

silverbear

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4378694 said:
Show me a draft source that mentions it..preferably one that brings to light the severity of it

So, if draft sites don't mention it, it doesn't exist??

Like I said, before you go any further with this nonsense, google "peter konz blood clots", and do some reading on the subject... it is very well documented, and Eskimo has outlined the future medical risks associated with this problem. risks that could end his career at any time...

Notice I said "could", not "would"... there is of course a chance that his clotting issues were a one time only phenomenon... but the point is, if you draft him, you're rolling the dice that he'll never have a recurrence, and you lose an awful lot if you crap out on that gamble...

And again, pal, I really like Konz the player... until I learned about this, he was very high on my draft list... I'm not a Konz hater, but this is the reality with him...

johnny utah

Our team odviously needs major upgrades at O line, D line, and secondary. I would like to see the o line upgraded more than any positon. Romo has never had a good line, he had a decent line in 07. He's paid he dues with this club and deserves the best line in front of him this team can get. He's getting too old to be running for his life every other play. I'm sick of Romo getting the blame for this teams shortcomings from the media and ignorant football fans. I hope Jerry pursues Carl Nicks hard.

Nexx

Reaction score
johnny utah;4380914 said:
Our team odviously needs major upgrades at O line, D line, and secondary. I would like to see the o line upgraded more than any positon. Romo has never had a good line, he had a decent line in 07. He's paid he dues with this club and deserves the best line in front of him this team can get. He's getting too old to be running for his life every other play. I'm sick of Romo getting the blame for this teams shortcomings from the media and ignorant football fans. I hope Jerry pursues Carl Nicks hard.

amen to this

Bigdog

Reaction score
silverbear;4380898 said:
You can add Blake in the 4th round, I'm confident of that... he's probably my favorite center prospect for the Boys right now...

Blake, DeCastro and Nicks in the middle, Free on the right and Tyron on the left... yeah, I like the sound of that...

Sign me up for that too.

silverbear

Reaction score
UncFelix28;4378696 said:
lol @ people getting excited over adam schefter report, he doesn't know a thing just speculative reporting.. They can easily franchise him if Brees is signed before the franchise tag deadline

Really?? They can do that "easily"??

I guess you know what their current cap situation is then... kindly share with us how much they're currently under the cap, what kind of cap room they're likely to have after they sign Brees to a typical contract for a franchise quarterback... then fill us in on what other free agents they have that they'd really, really like to re-sign (cough, cough, Marques Colston, cough, cough)...

Bottom line, if you're informed as to all the questions I've just asked, then you know it would not be "easy" at all for the Saints to sign Nicks to the kind of deal that a franchise guard will command... in fact, it will be very, very difficult for them to do so, and would almost undoubtedly lead to them losing Colston...

According to ESPN, the Saints currently have 106 million dollars (approximately) committed against the 2012 salary cap... the cap this year was a little over 120 million, the few projections I've seen of what it will be this year seem to settle in at around 122 mil... so at the moment, they'd be 16 million under the cap...

Now, consider that the franchise tag for a quarterback this year is in the 14.5 million dollar range... Brees might give a bit of a hometown discount, but not a huge one... so factoring in the cap tricks like bonuses that reduce the first year hit of a multiyear deal, figure that they can re-sign him for a cap hit of around 10 million... now, they're 6 mil under...

And the franchise tag for an offensive lineman will fall in the 9.5 million dollar range, again the first year cap hit can be minimized via the creative use of bonuses, so you can figure that a deal for him would likely come in at around 7.5 million... of course, this assumes that he's amenable to signing a multiyear deal once he's franchised, if he's not then his cap hit would the full 9.5 mil for a one year deal...

So, you'd need 7.5 million to 9.5 million to ink Nicks, and you're only 6 mil under the cap... renegotiation time... that would be doable, but again, would hardly be "easy"...

And again, Marques Colston and his 449 catches for 6240 yards and 48 TDs in 86 games is a free agent too (along with a number of other Saints, fellow receiver Robert Meachem comes to mind)... you have to think that the Saints would be quite eager, bordering on desperate, to re-sign their best wideout, a guy who has 1000 yard receiving years in 6 of his 7 years in the league... he's a franchise type wide receiver for sure; and the franchise tag for a wide receiver is also right around 9.5 million... so once again, a reasonable first year cap figure for him if he signs a multiyear deal would be 7.5 million...

Now you're at 9 to 11 million over the cap, to re-sign your top 3 free agents... that's before you've set aside any money for the draft (2-3 million for a team drafting where they will be), signed any of your other free agents, or signed any free agents from any other team... with the draft alone, you're now looking at 11-14 million over the cap, let's call it 12 million to settle on one number... I'm being conservative here...

Clearly, either Colston or Nicks will have to go... knowing that Nicks was a free agent last year and the Saints only signed him to a one year deal, and knowing that they're already paying Pro Bowl money to their other offensive guard, the smart money says that Nicks is the odd man out...

Clearly, it will be a long way from "easy" for the Saints to keep Nicks in New Orleans...

silverbear

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4378708 said:
Our biggest shortcoming on the offensive line? Or on our whole team? I hope you are just talking about the line. Our biggest glaring needs would be the secondary, followed by the defensive line, THEN the offensive line. Our Oline ranked #13 in the league last year. It NEEDS to improve but it isn't even close to our biggest shortcoming.

If you build a dominating offensive line, you can control the time of possession... controlling the time of possession keeps the other team's offense off the field... this alone will make your defense better (it's hard to rack up big yards if you don't have the ball)...

And if you control the ball and score at the end of the possession, before long you force your opponent into playing catchup offensively, which means strongly favoring the passing game over the running game... this allows your defense to focus on the pass, making their job easier when they are on the field...

It would seem that you don't think big picture when it comes to the game of football, this is one sport where the old adage that "the best defense is a good offense" is true...