Carl Nicks "Expected to Leave the Saints" - Adam Schefter

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Star4Ever;4379086 said:
So you don't want to address our putrid secondary at all? I'd love to get Nicks, but unless the draft just happens to fall wrong, I'd rather take a corner or pass rusher in the first round. At least in the 2nd. Again, it just depends on how the draft falls.

i don't think that's what he said but people do tend to think in extremes around here.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Star4Ever;4379086 said:
So you don't want to address our putrid secondary at all? I'd love to get Nicks, but unless the draft just happens to fall wrong, I'd rather take a corner or pass rusher in the first round. At least in the 2nd. Again, it just depends on how the draft falls.

Since free agency comes before the draft as it should this year, I would love to get Nicks first, then figure out who i want after that.

Nicks should be number one, for good reason, we need OL help.

Star4Ever;4379102 said:
I've got personal knowledge here. I had a DVT and subsequent pulmonary embolus (several of them) that almost killed me in 2001. It was the result of getting hit in the calf with a softball bat during a game. Didn't know anything was wrong until I was getting out of breath doing the slightest of tasks and had a lot of burning in my chest. I was put in the hospital for 10 days and put on heparin (IV blood thinner). I've been on coumadin ever since due to the damage to the blood vein. I also had a IVC filter inserted to catch any additional clots that could form before they go to my heart/lungs. Believe me. Not being able to breath is a scary thing.

Well obviously you know more about it than most of anyone who posts here. Hopefully things work out for you personally, and teamwise since you know the problem personally, you would see why they should be cautious.

Prossman

Reaction score
as far as corners if the top 2 are off the board a 14, i dont want to pick one there. Id rather get 1 top corner in free agency so we know what we have. Ive read after the top 2 corners there isnt that much difference in the thru the second round. I just dont want to reach at corner because we need one at 14. Prossman

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Prossman;4379221 said:
as far as corners if the top 2 are off the board a 14, i dont want to pick one there. Id rather get 1 top corner in free agency so we know what we have. Ive read after the top 2 corners there isnt that much difference in the thru the second round. I just dont want to reach at corner because we need one at 14. Prossman

I have to agree with this, unless someone works out great after the top 2, we would be reaching. Now if Dennard or jenkins (character issues) are ok with staff here, none would get in our range. But this is before workouts of course.

jnday

Reaction score
Prossman;4379221 said:
You're right . No need to take a player at 14 that can be had in the second . This seems to be hard for some to understand .

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Star4Ever;4379086 said:
I often wonder about people's ability to read. I mention 2 moves out of a possible 2 dozen that this team can do and you draw that conclusion? I take it that there are no FA DBs anywhere in the NFL? I take it that you have us giving away our other 5 Draft picks except the Comp one?

How else can you justify that interpretation? The answer should be, you can't. You over reacted.

Eskimo...thank you for the clarification.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
iceberg;4379136 said:
i don't think that's what he said but people do tend to think in extremes around here.

Yea, that is basically what he said. He said get Nicks (I would love that), take DeCastro (which would be a 1st round pick), and take another OL in the 3rd. That's exactly what he said. What I'm saying is if we did sign Nicks in FA, I would rather spend our first round pick on a CB or pass rusher. I also said it depends on how the draft falls. If there was not a CB or pass rusher the front office thought was worth our pick (14th I believe), then maybe consider an OL.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Hostile;4379987 said:
I often wonder about people's ability to read. I mention 2 moves out of a possible 2 dozen that this team can do and you draw that conclusion? I take it that there are no FA DBs anywhere in the NFL? I take it that you have us giving away our other 5 Draft picks except the Comp one?

How else can you justify that interpretation? The answer should be, you can't. You over reacted.

Read the response I already posted and you should get what I was saying.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Star4Ever;4380047 said:
Read the response I already posted and you should get what I was saying.
2nd round? 4th round? 5th round? 6th round? 7th round? Free Agency?

Signing Nicks and Drafting interior OL in the 1st and the 3rd eliminates a DB in any of those other avenues? Yes or no?

It is quite literally just that simple.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Basically what I'm saying is I want (and the team desperately needs) a CB that can step in immediately as a starter. I want a first round pick there or a proven FA, which ever direction the front office decides to go. I also want someone else that can rush the QB. The Giants and 49ers have proven once again how important that is in the playoffs. Sure I want a dominant OL also, but we probably aren't going to address everything this off-season (hope I'm wrong there). The bottom line is we need help on the interior OL, but we desperately need to improve the defense. It cost us over and over this year.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I don't want to depend on freaking DBs drafted in the later rounds. We've done that for years and have pretty much come up empty. No more Alan Balls or other guys that don't even make the roster. I want one or two TOP NOTCH corners. Drafting them high doesn't guarantee anything, but there's a much better chance with high draft picks, just like all other positions.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Star4Ever;4380075 said:
Basically what I'm saying is I want (and the team desperately needs) a CB that can step in immediately as a starter. I want a first round pick there or a proven FA, which ever direction the front office decides to go. I also want someone else that can rush the QB. The Giants and 49ers have proven once again how important that is in the playoffs. Sure I want a dominant OL also, but we probably aren't going to address everything this off-season (hope I'm wrong there). The bottom line is we need help on the interior OL, but we desperately need to improve the defense. It cost us over and over this year.
I don't see where you can look at what I posted and possibly think I don't want a secondary upgrade. Over 2 moves. It really is beyond silly.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Hostile;4379987 said:

You're welcome, Hos.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Hostile;4380149 said:
I don't see where you can look at what I posted and possibly think I don't want a secondary upgrade. Over 2 moves. It really is beyond silly.

I should've said it obviously isn't your top priority, where it is with me. IMO our secondary and inability to pressure the QB when we really needed to was our biggest weaknesses. I don't even think it's close. No doubt our interior OL needs work, but it held up better than our defense, especially on the back side. Romo still had a great year and our running game picked up a LOT of steam once Murray was put in the lineup. Our defense got worse as the year went on, and it cost us a playoff spot.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Star4Ever;4380233 said:
I should've said it obviously isn't your top priority, where it is with me. IMO our secondary and inability to pressure the QB when we really needed to was our biggest weaknesses. I don't even think it's close. No doubt our interior OL needs work, but it held up better than our defense, especially on the back side. Romo still had a great year and our running game picked up a LOT of steam once Murray was put in the lineup. Our defense got worse as the year went on, and it cost us a playoff spot.
Yes, the absence of hyperbole would have been much better.

No, it is not my top priority given the talent of DeCastro, but that doesn't mean I want to ignore it. If Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, or another CB is taken you will hardly find me griping.

I just think interior OL is our biggest area of need, not secondary. But I'm not a fool. Of course I want to address it. The stretch wasn't needed.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Hostile;4378601 said:
I've been pimping the kid since last year. I honestly think he is one of the two biggest links to the next level of football and DeCastro is the 2nd. Our Interior OL is by far our biggest shortcoming. Get them and add Brewster or Blake or Konz (health may push him down) in the 3rd and I feel really good about our chances.

Robert Brewster?

:laugh2:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;4380244 said:
Yes, the absence of hyperbole would have been much better.

No, it is not my top priority given the talent of DeCastro, but that doesn't mean I want to ignore it. If Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, or another CB is taken you will hardly find me griping.

I just think interior OL is our biggest area of need, not secondary. But I'm not a fool. Of course I want to address it. The stretch wasn't needed.

He knew exactly what you meant from the get go but what was important to him was what HE was saying. :laugh2:

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Star4Ever;4380095 said:
I don't want to depend on freaking DBs drafted in the later rounds. We've done that for years and have pretty much come up empty. No more Alan Balls or other guys that don't even make the roster. I want one or two TOP NOTCH corners. Drafting them high doesn't guarantee anything, but there's a much better chance with high draft picks, just like all other positions.

couldn't agree more !!! :bow:

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
TheCount;4380367 said:
He knew exactly what you meant from the get go but what was important to him was what HE was saying. :laugh2:

You're obviously a mind reader or just a plain ole genius. Thanks for knowing what I meant. :rolleyes:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheCount;4380367 said:
Yes sir. I would have respected that admission.