CB Daron Bland vs Kelvin Joseph

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Bland is back up nickel corner while Joseph is an outside guy. They will keep 11 secondary players similar to last season. Bell/Bland will take the two spots that Wilson/Canady occupied. I think they will go light at linebacker as well.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Im hearing too many grumblings about kelvin joseph getting cut for it not to have any substance. I think he gets cut. A shame cuz the kid was a baller in college

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Joseph is the most talented CB on our roster, and it's not close. Only question remaining is, can he cut his crapp and play. Of that, I have serious doubts. Way too early to just cut him, though. Silly to be screaming for that now.

Why do people scream for players they don't like to be cut? Very weird, to me. Jos should only be cut if the team determines that he's not going to improve enough.
He may have the potential, but there's nothing showing he's more talented. I don't really see any natural aptitude. In my opinion he's a good player that kind of slips under the radar. He would really have to be terrible to get cut.
I don't factor in the off the field stuff, players are not role models.
But you raise a very good point. It's way too early.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It would not surprise me at all if Joseph was cut or possibly traded.

I'm sure his leash is very short. Sometimes you just got to cut bait. If they think Bland is capable and Joseph is still not meeting expectations I am all for it, just on principle..

Id probably try to trade him. We used a 2nd round pick on him. It'd be nice to get something out of it. Maybe we can use him as a starter in a deal to get Roquan Smith?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I dont think it's a great idea to give up on Joseph this quickly.

Especially since he played well last year when he finally came back.

It's definitely not in line with how this FO operates. Look at how long Tryten Hill has been given to waste space.

Joseph gets at least another season.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I’ve got no problem at all cutting Joseph. Hitting on Bland and Wright showing improvement makes it easier to swallow. He was the last of the so called talented CBs in a draft where we just missed the top guys and he was all that fell in the 2nd. Getting Parsons instead of one of the cbs also makes it easier to swallow. If he doesn’t have the work ethic and Bland and Wright are better, cut him and be able to keep Goodwin for special teams again. It addition by subtraction in my book and another lesson learned on drafting. Stop reaching for soo called 1st round talent in the 2nd when those players have too many issues to be reliable. Just take the solid football player that will contribute and fight for a 2nd contract.

Jarntt

Reaction score
This is the Cowboys. We don’t cut 2nd round picks in year 2. Joseph is on the 53 unless suspended by the league. Also, let’s see if Lewis is healthy and if any other injuries pop up before worrying about who is and isn’t cut. I am a huge STs guy and wouldn’t cut him myself, but the one who may lose out if we can’t figure out the CB depth chart is Goodwin IMO.

Flamma

Reaction score
- i would have expected the 2nd year Joseph as should've been receiving the great reviews, but
it's actually been 5th rd pick Bland instead.

Sometimes the lower end picks put in a ton of work because they know what's on the line. They don't feel as secure so they go all out. It pays off on occasion.

It reminds me of a quote I heard, "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard". And in this case, I'm not so sure the talent gap is that wide.

quickccc

Reaction score
This is the Cowboys. We don’t cut 2nd round picks in year 2. Joseph is on the 53 unless suspended by the league. Also, let’s see if Lewis is healthy and if any other injuries pop up before worrying about who is and isn’t cut.
I am a huge STs guy and wouldn’t cut him myself, but the one who may lose out if we can’t figure out the CB depth chart is Goodwin IMO.

Goodwin, who i have not heard or seen this training camp or preseason Denver game ..at all.!

Is he that spectacular to where he makes the 53 roster strictly and purely off special teams and nuthin else ?

At least Noah catches those usual, simple 6-7 yard passes on the other side of special teams.
Goodwin obviously doesn't offer anything even in the nickel defense.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why we took Joseph instead of Asante Samuel?
Was it just because of height and arm length and not how well they play football?
I'm even more confused now than I was on draft day.

Sydla

Reaction score
Im hearing too many grumblings about kelvin joseph getting cut for it not to have any substance. I think he gets cut. A shame cuz the kid was a baller in college

He ain't getting cut this camp. To cut him, the Cowboys would need to take another $1.5 million cap hit. And as stingy has hell as they have been this camp when it comes to not bringing in a vet WR or OT, they sure as heck aren't going to admit failure with last year's 2nd round pick and take an additional cap hit for him.

But next year when they can actually get rid of him with no cap pain? Yeah, I could see him not on the roster in 2023.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’ve got no problem at all cutting Joseph. Hitting on Bland and Wright showing improvement makes it easier to swallow. He was the last of the so called talented CBs in a draft where we just missed the top guys and he was all that fell in the 2nd. Getting Parsons instead of one of the cbs also makes it easier to swallow. If he doesn’t have the work ethic and Bland and Wright are better, cut him and be able to keep Goodwin for special teams again. It addition by subtraction in my book and another lesson learned on drafting. Stop reaching for soo called 1st round talent in the 2nd when those players have too many issues to be reliable. Just take the solid football player that will contribute and fight for a 2nd contract.

Let's slow the roll on thinking we "hit" on Bland. Or that Wright is really improving. Camp is different than real games.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I dont think it's a great idea to give up on Joseph this quickly.

Especially since he played well last year when he finally came back.

It's definitely not in line with how this FO operates. Look at how long Tryten Hill has been given to waste space.

Joseph gets at least another season.
He doesn't deserve it though. And hill stayed on because our dts weren't that good. The corners on this team are better than Joseph so why should he get to stay?

quickccc

Reaction score

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here are Kelvin Joseph’s defensive stats from last year:
  • Games played: 10
  • Four of those 10 games he had zero defensive snaps.
  • Total defensive snap counts: 164
  • Only two games where he had significant playing time- both blowouts-
    • Vs. WFT in a 56-14 blowout win- had 57 snaps- 0 picks, 3 combined tackles, 1 pass defended.
    • Vs. Phi in a 51-26 blowout- had 7 tackles (good) 0 picks, 0 passes defended
  • For the season, he had 2 passes defended.
  • Did not play a single defensive snap vs SF in playoff game.
Kelvin Joseph did little last year to make us think he has a bright future here is based on those stats. If he gets his act together and plays more and plays better, then I will be happy. But let’s not call him much of a success at this point. Still too early to count him out too.

It was unlikely that any rookie CB would get significant playing time unless one of the 3 veteran starters was injured or if they rested starters (game 17).

It's difficult to discern much from game 17 due to it being a rest the starters scenario.

In his 1st start and only start in need to win game, he allowed a 39.6 QB rating.

He missed the first 6 game with an injury issue, but he was immediately a core special teams player starting with his 1st game active.