Twitter: CB/S Obi Melifonwu is visiting Cowboys

Mr_437

Reaction score
Yep, that was Brugler’s evaluation and he just lacked reps, he is raw with recognition and lack of instincts but has great athleticism and size.

This is the reason why I always liked Obi at CB. Simplify the game for him, play him on TEs (Byron 2.0), or man up on the outside...play to his strengths. CJ Goodwin was a CB, so hopefully that's where they see Obi, if signed.

Don't like him at FS/SS cause he doesn't tackle like a Safety, so he's not one (see Byron Jones). Just like Darian Thompson, I see this defense as a great situation for Obi. Just remember, Richard had Brandon Browner...

visionary

Reaction score
Which is what a second round pick so quickly cut deserves.

If he's looking to get paid based on his career thus far, he can find another sucker. He's in career rebuild/salvage mode, whether he realizes it or not.

A bigger sucker than Jerry and Stephen?
Not sure that individual exists

marchetta

Reaction score
Obi Melifonwu S/OLB Connecticut

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS

Obi is a tall, strong, smart defensive back who can cover and tackle in the open field. He is one of the more secure and form tackling safeties in this draft. He has the length and size to cover and the solid change of direction skills to play any one of the defensive backfield positions inside the red zone. Obi has leadership skills not only through his play on the field but also because of his character off the field. He has the size and athleticism to cover those big tight ends down the slot and with his ability to change direction will be able to cover your tall receivers in the red zone also. Obi has unique athletic talent for his size and surprising speed and with his long legs, long arms, will surprise most quarterbacks who think they can beat him when he is playing off the line as a single free safety. Obi’s is destined to become a pro bowl defensive player for the team that selects him.

CONCERNS
Biggest issue that Obi has to overcome is that teams will think that he is too big and not quick enough to cover but that is not true. His numbers at the combine are important to establish that he is quick but I believe most teams will think he is not. His length and long strides make up for a lack of the average “safety quickness ratio” and if teams realize that then Obi will be selected very early in this draft.

BOTTOM LINE
Obi’s ability to collect himself and tackle securely in the open field is impressive to me. His ability to cover in the red zone is also worth a million dollars on the open market also. Add to that his character on and off the field, his football intelligence and ability to lead and make players around him better and I think you have a pro bowl safety that could play more than one position in your defensive back field. Here's the key to selecting Obi, he could play in your defensive back field or he could became a outside linebacker because of his ability to tackle and this means …he could become a core player, key player and pro bowl player, the kind you can build your defense around. Now you tell me, what kind of value would you put on that type of potential? I think very high, at least for me because Obi is a potential defensive playmaker and those are hard to fine.

Drew Boylhart

_sturt_

Reaction score

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS

Obi is a tall, strong, smart defensive back who can cover and tackle in the open field. He is one of the more secure and form tackling safeties in this draft. He has the length and size to cover and the solid change of direction skills to play any one of the defensive backfield positions inside the red zone. Obi has leadership skills not only through his play on the field but also because of his character off the field. He has the size and athleticism to cover those big tight ends down the slot and with his ability to change direction will be able to cover your tall receivers in the red zone also. Obi has unique athletic talent for his size and surprising speed and with his long legs, long arms, will surprise most quarterbacks who think they can beat him when he is playing off the line as a single free safety. Obi’s is destined to become a pro bowl defensive player for the team that selects him.

CONCERNS
Biggest issue that Obi has to overcome is that teams will think that he is too big and not quick enough to cover but that is not true. His numbers at the combine are important to establish that he is quick but I believe most teams will think he is not. His length and long strides make up for a lack of the average “safety quickness ratio” and if teams realize that then Obi will be selected very early in this draft.

BOTTOM LINE
Obi’s ability to collect himself and tackle securely in the open field is impressive to me. His ability to cover in the red zone is also worth a million dollars on the open market also. Add to that his character on and off the field, his football intelligence and ability to lead and make players around him better and I think you have a pro bowl safety that could play more than one position in your defensive back field. He’s the key to selecting Obi, he could play in your defensive back field or he could became a outside linebacker because of his ability to tackle and this means …he could become a core player, key player and pro bowl player, the kind you can build your defense around. Now you tell me, what kind of value would you put on that type of potential? I think very high, at least for me because Obi is a potential defensive playmaker and those are hard to fine.

Drew Boylhart

Thank you, UConn Sports Information Director.

But seriously, who is Drew Boylhart? Maybe I should know that name, but I don't.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS

CONCERNS

BOTTOM LINE
Obi’s ability to collect himself and tackle securely in the open field is impressive to me. His ability to cover in the red zone is also worth a million dollars on the open market also. Add to that his character on and off the field, his football intelligence and ability to lead and make players around him better and I think you have a pro bowl safety that could play more than one position in your defensive back field. He’s the key to selecting Obi, he could play in your defensive back field or he could became a outside linebacker because of his ability to tackle and this means …he could become a core player, key player and pro bowl player, the kind you can build your defense around. Now you tell me, what kind of value would you put on that type of potential? I think very high, at least for me because Obi is a potential defensive playmaker and those are hard to fine.

Drew Boylhart
God how wrong that is. His instincts are trash. Hes a decent tackler. Has stiff hips in coverage due to height and length. Might be good on special teams

_sturt_

Reaction score
Ya know... Gruden was insistent that Melifonwu wasn't healthy practically from the time he got the OAK job, and I'm wondering if maybe the visit today was as much for us to get a look at him and how well he looks. Maybe he left the facility w/o an offer. Who knows.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This is the reason why I always liked Obi at CB. Simplify the game for him, play him on TEs (Byron 2.0), or man up on the outside...play to his strengths. CJ Goodwin was a CB, so hopefully that's where they see Obi, if signed.
It's a role we use, and a role that's useful.

Everyone is talking about offering him the minimum. I'd offer him extra. So cheap, and with lots upside. Don't lose it trying to save a nickel. When he's being offered the least is when a little extra will matter the most.

He even fits a need. We're light at SS. Only really Frazier. Get him.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I'm not really excited about Obi Melifonwu at all. Like they say, the best ability is availability.

Oakland released him simply because he's been persistently injured since they've had him.

They also felt that he didn't care enough about playing football to waste more time with him.
:omg: ,,,that's an insightful addendum of circumspecto_O

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Unless he is Obi-Wan Kenobi and can use the force to save the franchise...... then this is not the player you are looking for.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Alternate translation:

2018-10-25_1522.png
,,,er,,,could you p.m. Me some various photographs?,,,o_O

Johnny23

Reaction score
I like him at SS as the Barry Church replacement we've been missing
No get a real strong safety with talent and not a bust who's an injury prone Wilcox. I am sick of seeing us skimping on the safety position and fans actually applauding this.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
No get a real strong safety with talent and not a bust who's an injury prone Wilcox. I am sick of seeing us skimping on the safety position and fans actually applauding this.

Obi has talent thats why he was drafted in the 2nd round last year.
Claiming he's a bust after 37 snaps is childish and makes the loster look really stupid

Dude sthu lmao, this is one of the best options currently available. Make a list of the guys youd rather sign. Ill be waiting