News: CBS: Cowboys offensive lineman Doug Free's contract is void

dfense

Reaction score
I would just move on from Free and get a younger Right Tackle. Does anyone know if he got the surgery on his foot? Bryan Broaddus said that the injury was more serious than you think we he injured it. I think we can find a good tackle in rds1-3.

Demarco's yards per dropped significantly after Free went down.

Which coincides with how many times Parnell stepped on Romo's foot when being driven backwards.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Ah.. free is likely gone. I'd hope he tests FA, and just sign here whether it's to start or a backup T. Parnell would be good, maybe even better than last year since he'll take the snaps with the first Group. But we are talking about a 29 year old come the first snap of the season. We need to get younger. Any upcoming young FA gems?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
First, I did not say to over pay for Murray. Signing Free buys us a couple of years. We have to start investing in the defense. DLaw and Hitch were good starts.

It's managing cap space with Free, Parnell, Ro, and Murray. If you can get them in a neutral area on the curve while not mortgaging your future then great.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

Which coincides with how many times Parnell stepped on Romo's foot when being driven backwards.

I'm not certain that's correct in either instance. Not sure I've seen Parnell get knocked around much and certainly not like Free at times.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I still think the team signs Parnell for something like 4/10 and lets Free go to FA. Free is the better player at the moment, but Parnell has more upside, is younger and healthier - and ultimately cheaper to resign.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Yes, this is a better strategy because we want to overpay a running back who may or may not be able to stay healthy and was only able to produce what he did behind this line.

And to re-sign an aging offensive linemen who isn't great in the first place, who is now starting to break down due to injuries...

And then draft a bunch of defensive players of which we have no idea how long it will take for them to develop if ever...

Well said indeed, stay thirsty my friend.

dallasdave

Reaction score
There is a time and way to invest in the defense.

The idea that we should go into the draft with holes on this defensive line will ensure that coming out of the draft we have holes and question marks on this defensive line..

That isn't the right answer.

The right answer is to bring in free agents who can man the spots we need to upgrade, and manage their costs by reducing costs elsewhere.

We can draft more defensive linemen when we aren't doing it based on strict need. That's a recipe for reaching.

you got the right idea;)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That is incorrect. In the regular season, Murray averaged 4.7 yards per carry in games that Free started and 4.7 yards per carry in games that Parnell started.

The Cowboys gave up 1.9 sacks per game when Free started and 1.8 sacks per game when Parnell started.