CBZ40: A Sad Bit of News For The Members Here... Cbz40

Daudr

Reaction score
My condolences to the family. It really does feel like I just lost a family member.

AlterEgo

Reaction score
Let me be the first to say how blown away I was when reading this. I have never spoken directly to CBZ40 on this forum because I'm more of a reader than poster but in a strange twist, I directly knew CBZ40. You see, I had no idea but I used to refer to CBZ40 simply as Mr. Parkhill.

I grew up in the town of Edinburg, TX. My freshman year of highschool started off in our new highschool, Edinburg North High School (the cougars!). I was in band and played trumpet. Mr. Parkhill was our head band director. He was the school's first ever head band director. I still remember our first game where we marched at halftime. It was in Port Isabel. It was because the way he ran our band that I fell in love with Marching band. I quit tennis and devoted my time soley to band. Unfortuantely, he had to step down after that first year, I'm not completely sure why but I thought it was for health reasons.

So I would like to express my sorrow to his family. I wish I could have connected with him on this forum and it just goes to show that no matter how big the internet is, it's can be a small world. I'm going to try and be more of a poster than a reader and maybe make some new friends here.

So you see Mr. Parkhill, you're still teaching me lessons...

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AlterEgo;2885345 said:
Let me be the first to say how blown away I was when reading this. I have never spoken directly to CBZ40 on this forum because I'm more of a reader than poster but in a strange twist, I directly knew CBZ40. You see, I had no idea but I used to refer to CBZ40 simply as Mr. Parkhill.

I grew up in the town of Edinburg, TX. My freshman year of highschool started off in our new highschool, Edinburg North High School (the cougars!). I was in band and played trumpet. Mr. Parkhill was our head band director. He was the school's first ever head band director. I still remember our first game where we marched at halftime. It was in Port Isabel. It was because the way he ran our band that I fell in love with Marching band. I quit tennis and devoted my time soley to band. Unfortuantely, he had to step down after that first year, I'm not completely sure why but I thought it was for health reasons.

So I would like to express my sorrow to his family. I wish I could have connected with him on this forum and it just goes to show that no matter how big the internet is, it's can be a small world. I'm going to try and be more of a poster than a reader and maybe make some new friends here.

Thank you for sharing that story...and please do, post more often!

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I didn't really interact with CBZ40 but I do remember seeing the forum "banter" he had with many members ie. "Morning Pops"

So it's only fitting I post here the first thing that came to mind.

Don Corleone: I said that I would see you because I had heard that you were a serious man, to be treated with respect. It's true you have a lot of friends on the CowboysZone....

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0504803/ Te salut, CBZ40.
[the Don gets up to take a drink and sits closer to CBZ40]

RIP.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AlterEgo;2885345 said:

Dang that was cool to read. Thank you.

AlterEgo

Reaction score
Hostile;2885359 said:
Dang that was cool to read. Thank you.

No problem. My best friend and I still work together here in San Antonio and both of us were in band. Every morning I boot my computer (it takes about 10 minutes) so I took out my phone and hit this forum. When I saw the sticky I read it and when I saw the picture I had that sinking feeling.

I saw my friend walking up the stairs and had to show him. I simply can't believe this whole time I was visiting this forum and had that connection. Sad.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Mr. Parkhill sounds like a very interesting guy.

I was reading some of the comments from former students on his obituary and thought, to myself that Mr. Parkhill sounded like that cool teacher in Highschool that every cross section of students could relate too and everyone liked.

Anybody know how many instruments he could play?

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
AlterEgo;2885367 said:
No problem. My best friend and I still work together here in San Antonio and both of us were in band. Every morning I boot my computer (it takes about 10 minutes) so I took out my phone and hit this forum. When I saw the sticky I read it and when I saw the picture I had that sinking feeling.

I saw my friend walking up the stairs and had to show him. I simply can't believe this whole time I was visiting this forum and had that connection. Sad.

AlterEgo, so you didn't know CBZ40 was your former marching band teacher until recently?

Just goes to show you how small of a world it is.

Also, what was CBZ40 like in person? On the forums, he just came off as a really cool dude.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
AlterEgo;2885345 said:

Thank you for sharing that.

AlterEgo

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2885470 said:
AlterEgo, so you didn't know CBZ40 was your former marching band teacher until recently?

Just goes to show you how small of a world it is.

Also, what was CBZ40 like in person? On the forums, he just came off as a really cool dude.

Yeah I had no clue he contributed to this forum at all. I was stunned when I saw the sticky but I was very familiar with his username and profile picture. My wife said the same thing, it is a very, very small world.

He was awesome as a band leader. Never lost his cool even though our band was very immature and full of freshman. It seems the majorty of band instructors yell their heads off when you screw up, not Mr. Parkhill. Our city, Edinburg for the longest time only had one Highschool. When ours was built a lot of students that were already in highschool didn't want to move so I think that's why we were so young.

You could tell he was passionate about what he did. I really don't recall what instruments he played but I want to say brass. That was so long ago. I also recall my mom picking me up after practice and seeing him outside the band hall taking one of his smoke breaks. When he left after my freshman year I never really heard much of him.

On a positive note, since our band was full of freshman and a new school, no one gave us a chance to score a 1 in our area marching competition that year. Needless to say, Mr. Parkhill allowed us to get a 1 in our first year of history!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AlterEgo, it's been really hard for me today. So I can't tell you how much better your tidbts about Weldon have made me feel.

I just wanted to add to the others appreciation of your posts.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AlterEgo;2885513 said:
Yeah I had no clue he contributed to this forum at all. I was stunned when I saw the sticky but I was very familiar with his username and profile picture. My wife said the same thing, it is a very, very small world.

He was awesome as a band leader. Never lost his cool even though our band was very immature and full of freshman. It seems the majorty of band instructors yell their heads off when you screw up, not Mr. Parkhill. Our city, Edinburg for the longest time only had one Highschool. When ours was built a lot of students that were already in highschool didn't want to move so I think that's why we were so young.

You could tell he was passionate about what he did. I really don't recall what instruments he played but I want to say brass. That was so long ago. I also recall my mom picking me up after practice and seeing him outside the band hall taking one of his smoke breaks. When he left after my freshman year I never really heard much of him.

On a positive note, since our band was full of freshman and a new school, no one gave us a chance to score a 1 in our area marching competition that year. Needless to say, Mr. Parkhill allowed us to get a 1 in our first year of history!
I hate to ask you this. Would you look through old photos and school yearbooks and post any pictures of him?

ndanger

Reaction score
If anyone hasn't been to his guest book, you should. It is truly amazing the impact he had on young peoples lives. He was everything in real life (for lack of a better way to say it) as he was to all of us here. jeebus I have shed a lot of tears today. His impact on us as humans simply cannot be measured....I'm just.............

ndanger

Reaction score
Hostile;2885526 said:
I hate to ask you this. Would you look through old photos and school yearbooks and post any pictures of him?

Hos. there was a gentleman who worked with him back in the day, who signed his guest book, that said he was posting a bunch of pictures on his face book page. He invited anyone to come and look. I would go back and look for ya' buddy, but I have shed enough tears today.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
He was truly one of the most thoughtful, classy people to post on this forum. His contributions will be missed, but not forgotten. Like many of you, I was touched to see the impact he had on so many young folks. R.I.P. :(