Cedrick Wilson looked good

starfan1

Reaction score
You’ve seen the team say that the reason Noah Brown is on the roster is because of how he blocks on the handful of offensive snaps he gets as opposed to the regular ST snaps that make up his primary contribution to the team? I don’t think I’ve seen those same quotes.

Even when he’s in on offense, though, they’ve shown they will throw to him. If you have an issue with his offensive snaps, it should probably be with his drops.
Well ya I have issue with his drops as well when he is in the game they run 95% of the time and I have heard insiders on the fan discuss this as a trait they like about him.

Thought I heard Steven say that as well but no it’s not solely because of his blocking that’s trait they like

Let me guess your an Ohio state guy?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really liked his route running and catching with his hands.

Hopefully his injury won't keep him out for too long.

He can be the 3rd or 4th WR on this team.

He's got big potential.

Yep liked his gusto baby...
GL to him!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was starting to gain some traction in last year's camp, I think he picks up where he left off and has a great camp/preseason which lands him a spot on the 53
Well last year he was having a better camp then Gallup till he got hurt. I hope he can come back.

He got injured day 2 of TC last year when they practiced without pads.
I don't see how anyone can say he looked great from that.

I was not a fan of Wilson until I seen him in games, and been saying that for a year now. I did not like they drafted him. Well it wasn't him it was the position. As I did not think they needed to go WR at that point, we needed defense. But I still pull for players they draft for which I may not agree with or the position they select. Like this year, they picked Jelks and Jackson at DE when we needed to pick S. But I will pull for them to be great for us.

However after seeing him last night. Wilson that is, I changed my opinion, as I really liked what I seen. I hope he is well, and look forward to the next game. He has good size and speed, got open, made catches. He looked best of all the young WR's. I also liked what I seen from Devin Smith in the 4th quarter. I been saying this year, look out for him to be a factor over Guyton and fan favorite Johnson, who did not impress me at all.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
While he does play special teams it’s also because he’s a good blocker they have said as much. I believe that limits play calling whenever he’s in game the defense knows his role

It’s not smart it’s predictable as others can play special teams but that’s my opinion and yourbentitled to yours as well

Yep. They have used Brown extensively as a run blocker. In fact, his usage was an obvious tell to opposing defenses because they rarely had him running actual patterns.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was disappointed big time, guy gets open and drops easy ones. Maybe just a off night. Lets hope so. He is supposed to be our speed guy.

Wilson, Johnson, Guyton, Smith, Davis all have about the same speed I believe. So the intangibles and other stuff will be the keys to who makes it IMO.
I was disappointed in Johnson too, but I never been as high on him as others. I liked Devin Smith over them, and now like Wilson to, I liked what he did last night.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I was disappointed big time, guy gets open and drops easy ones. Maybe just a off night. Lets hope so. He is supposed to be our speed guy.
I believe it's what he does...drops passes. Jon'Vea Johnson has been dropping passes throughout training camp as well, so I'm not surprised to see him drop some. What was disturbing was the amount of passes he dropped last night and easy ones for what would have been key big gains...as you said. That's not good.

If he seriously doesn't turn it around and stop dropping them in the next preseason game or two, I would give him his pink papers and try to sneak him on to the practice squad where he can be further developed.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I think he was nervous,big expectation from everyone who thinks he is the frontrunner to get the 6th WR spot.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I do to but this idiot coaching staff has a woody for Noah because he’s a decent blocker

I like jonvay ability to run routes he’s crisp and he gets open but his stone hands may be his undoing
I can see him Johnson on the PS. They may not give up on him completely. They probably shouldnt either. However I don't see him on the final roster

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For some strange reason Austin seems to be a lock. Makes no sense to me. WV was a long time ago. If true hard to see Wilson be anything but a PS guy. Can’t happen, right?
Depends on how comfortable they feel with Wilson fielding punts. Thats where Austin is probably a lock

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
If he can stay healthy, I think Wilson is a lock.

First off, he is playing a lot of special teams, beyond being a returner, he was playing ST in other situations. This is what teams need from the 4th to 6th WRs.

Second, even though he can play outside, he has mostly been playing in the slot. While Cooper and Gallup will likely be our starting outside receivers for the next several years, Cobb and Austin are both on one-year deals. With needing to sign a large number of veterans, I am sure the FO would love to save money at that spot in 2020 and beyond by having our #1 slot receiver be on a rookie deal.

Third, he is an excellent route runner, which is something that Dak wants in his receivers.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wth has Noah brown done for us? Its a waste of a roster slot. I rather put Guyton there.
Noah Brown is a "match-up" type player.

Defenses play Nickel with him in the game vs base (3 LBs) if it's a 2nd TE instead of Brown.
- As a blocker he overwhelms DBs and often wins against LBs.

If roster sizes were 60 and game day rosters were larger than 46 then there would definitely some snaps for a player like Brown.

With the 53/46 limits, there are trade-offs to keeping Brown unless he can show more as a receiver.

If the Cowboys cut him, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams sign him. They put a strong focus on blocking by WRs and really make it an integral part of their blocking scheme.