Ceedee is better than Amari Cooper ever was

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
1300+ is a strong season. No one is saying it’s not. But that’s a 1200+ season in a 16 game schedule. That’s Brandon Lloyd, that’s Donald Driver, that’s Jake Reed, that’s Adam Thielen. None of those guys are true #1 WRs either. When their team needed them to be, they put up stats, yes, but they didn’t show up consistently in the games they needed to. They weren’t beating defenses designed to shut them down.
Was dez bryant a true #1? In his 4th year he was putting up less yards on more targets

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Plain and simple

• Plays all over the formations
  • Shows up in big games
  • Shows up on the road
  • Reliable injury-wise (knock on wood)
In this terrible offense, he is on pace for:

111 catches
1537 yards
7 TDs

He is a number 1 receiver and if you think otherwise, youre insane
What's your definition of "#1"?

Is targets? Skill set? Stats?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
they don't need cooks with him here. and yes, they'd still trade for gilmore, that doesn't even make sense. if you just want to say you wanted to move on from him because he didn't live up to the expectations, that's fine. he's better than anything we've had since, and made a nice pairing with ceedee though, and we'd be a more complete offense with him here today.
Cowboys offensive issues aren’t because of Cooper leaving….they struggled when he was here then too lol.

And I believe if they still has to pay Cooper they would still be paying Zeke. Just pure assumptions on my part.

And we always needed Cooks. Always needed a guy who teams had to worry about deep. We’ve always lacked it.

Proof

Reaction score
Cowboys offensive issues aren’t because of Cooper leaving….they struggled when he was here then too lol.

And I believe if they still has to pay Cooper they would still be paying Zeke. Just pure assumptions on my part.

And we always needed Cooks. Always needed a guy who teams had to worry about deep. We’ve always lacked it.
I didn't say that the issues were purely because of him leaving, or that there weren't issues when he was here, just that they'd be better with him presently. can't speak to zeke, but perhaps. i'm not sure i've seen teams worry about cooks deep yet, but guess we'll see as the year progresses. my ultimate point though was that amari didn't feel like a progress stopper to lamb to that extent, but even if he limited him from becoming the focal point, it was still a good tradeoff to me. oh well, spilled milk

kskboys

Reaction score
Plain and simple

• Shows up in big games
  • Shows up on the road

111 catches
1537 yards
7 TDs

Cooper has a better skillset, Lamb is more of a football player and a gamer. What Cooper lacked is quite simply mental.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Those were efficiency stats, not usuage stats (referring to rating while targeted, and drop %)

As far as yardage goes, Lamb ranked 6th in the NFL last year. Those players you mentioned, Stallworth never had a 1,000 season, Lloyd and one, Driver had 3 years over 1,200. Other than maybe Driver, I wish you would have found more apt comparions

1,200 yards isnt as common as you think. It firmly puts you in the top 10 of the NFL (which is where most would agree Lamb is)
2017: 6 players with 1,200 yards
2018: 14 (a real outlier)
2019: 6
2020: 9
2021: 8
2022: 8 with 1,300

So typically you will have 6 to 9 WR's averaging 75 yards a game
Sorry, meant Jake Reed, not Stallworth. Edited it before the edit timer ended but not before you linked it.

There are top 10 statistical players every year who aren’t true #1’s. DK Metcalf had a 1300 yard season a few years ago like CeeDee’s he’s not a #1. Teams don’t bracket him most of the game like they do Tyreek, Jamar, Jefferson. Brandon Lloyd had a 1400 yard season in a 16 game schedule and then never had anything close to that again. Was he a number 1 then immediately not a number 1? No, that’s not how anyone should view it.

kskboys

Reaction score
What's your definition of "#1"?

Is targets? Skill set? Stats?
All of the above.

And there's different tiers of #1 WRs. The topflight ones consistently beat double teams and get open even when blanketed. Our own Mike Irvin, for example. There are a host of 2nd tier #1 WRs. Most are really good, but need more talent around them to succeed than the tier 1 guys.

kskboys

Reaction score
Was dez bryant a true #1? In his 4th year he was putting up less yards on more targets
No, because they caught him jogging his routes(on film) way too many times. A true #1 goes all out at all times. Why? Because part of being a true #1 WR is making them cover you every play, which opens everything up on O. If you only try when the ball's coming your way, you are not a top tier #1.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Yes, teams played him as one and he was a dominant redzone threat. If CeeDee was catching TDs at the rate Dez did I’d definitely have a different opinion of him. The 100 yard game stat is important to CeeDee because he doesn’t have the other tools that Dez had. Number 1’s can come in a lot of different shapes and sizes, this is the way CeeDee would have to come unless he suddenly changes his game 4 years into his career

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes, teams played him as one and he was a dominant redzone threat. If CeeDee was catching TDs at the rate Dez did I’d definitely have a different opinion of him. The 100 yard game stat is important to CeeDee because he doesn’t have the other tools that Dez had. Number 1’s can come in a lot of different shapes and sizes, this is the way CeeDee would have to come unless he suddenly changes his game 4 years into his career
I think Dez could've been a #1, but wasn't due to lack of effort on routes. He had the ability to run sharp routes, but chose not to.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Plain and simple

• Shows up in big games
  • Shows up on the road

111 catches
1537 yards
7 TDs

Don't break out the anointing oil just yet. You have 3 games vs. NFC East opponents coming up including the Eagles. Yesterday was a great no.1 WR game day vs. a 3-5 Rams secondary.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I think Dez could've been a #1, but wasn't due to lack of effort on routes. He had the ability to run sharp routes, but chose not to.
There are #1’s that have limitations. You could Argue Deandre Hopkins doesn’t have #1 speed (like Rice), or Tyreek doesn’t have #1 size (like Steve Smith), or Justin Jefferson doesn’t have #1 physicality (like Largent). Dez made up for his limitations by being the best in the NFL at what he did well. He was 2-3 prime years away from “Mossing” people being synonymous with “Dezzing” people

kskboys

Reaction score
There are #1’s that have limitations. You could Argue Deandre Hopkins doesn’t have #1 speed (like Rice), or Tyreek doesn’t have #1 size (like Steve Smith), or Justin Jefferson doesn’t have #1 physicality (like Largent). Dez made up for his limitations by being the best in the NFL at what he did well. He was 2-3 prime years away from “Mossing” people being synonymous with “Dezzing” people
Difference of opinion here, and that is more than OK!!!!!

Hopkins gets open no matter what. That is a #1. Tyreek catches hordes of passes every year. That is a #1.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I called him a 1B type. And I stand by it. It's fine if people disagree w/ me.
I don't put him at the level of Jefferson, Tyreek or a few others myself. He's not top of the mountain, but not everyone can be,nor is that required to be a #1 quality WR. I think Lamb would be the clear #1 on at least 25-26 of the teams in the NFL

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't put him at the level of Jefferson, Tyreek or a few others myself. He's not top of the mountain, but not everyone can be,nor is that required to be a #1 quality WR. I think Lamb would be the clear #1 on at least 25-26 of the teams in the NFL
Not sure I'd go w/ that many, but I'd say around 20, yes. So, we're on the same page.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sorry, meant Jake Reed, not Stallworth. Edited it before the edit timer ended but not before you linked it.

There are top 10 statistical players every year who aren’t true #1’s. DK Metcalf had a 1300 yard season a few years ago like CeeDee’s he’s not a #1. Teams don’t bracket him most of the game like they do Tyreek, Jamar, Jefferson. Brandon Lloyd had a 1400 yard season in a 16 game schedule and then never had anything close to that again. Was he a number 1 then immediately not a number 1? No, that’s not how anyone should view it.
You are talking about players that had statistical anomalies. Lamb's career is to young to be able to say that. As of now he is on pace to suprass his totals from last year with the exception of TD's, so he is trending more towards his 2022 being the norm than the exception. When he goes two or 3 more years outside the top 10 in production than you can make a case

Redline360

Reaction score
Guess I will be one of the few who won't necessarily agree.

Cooper has the better skill set overall. However his downside is his mental toughness. He will coast through games when not focused and has the tendacy to disappear. Lamb on the other had is a gamer.

But its to early in Lambs career to crown him right away. Coop also faces alot of double man coverage. 2021 I believe he was top 5 and last year half way through the season he was up in the top 5 aswell. Don't recall where he placed at the end of the season though.

But yes Lamb is more then likely going to be better then Coop in the long run