Charean Williams believes Dallas might franchise Dak 2 years

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How do you know Dak will not get injured this season? Then you are on the Hook for guaranteed money. I'm just saying that the price might not be going up. I think it sort of a prove it year for Dak.

So what are they supposed to go into the negotiations telling Dak he might get hurt? Doesn't work like that unless the player has a history.

Would you feel better if I said "as long as Dak doesnt get hurt, killed in a car accident, maimed by a tiger on a saffari, then his price is only going up"?

:grin:

And as far as a prove a it year, thats what last year was. He had middling pass catchers, a banged up Oline that couldnt pass block, the Cowboys started out 3-5 and he still led them to the playoffs by going 7-1 down the stretch with several last minute drive victories, won a playoff game and made another pro bowl.

Threw for over 2200k yards in the last 8 games of the season for those that think stats are all that matter. Averaged 278 yards/game.

Reaction score
It's also a huge bit of negotiating leverage. Dallas has the advantage for the next two years if they so choose. Two years for Dak to either increase or decrease his value, and two years where he risks injury.

If the Cowboys aren't getting a discount for paying him early, they have no reason to do so.

This is the key: Cowboys getting a long term discount for paying him early. He makes $2m this year. Both sides should be motivated to do a deal. As long as Dak does not insist on his annual salary averaging over $30m per over the life of the deal, he will make out. And the team can fit in a salary increase to $20m+ this year.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We when this the same BS with DLaw negotiation. Fans and media speculating. They once had DLaw asking for a contract that would have made him the highest paid defensive player in the league. OP suggestion is pure speculation, take it with a grain of salt IMO. No way in hell Dak deal is not getting done IMO. In fact, wouldn't surprise if it's done before the start of training camp.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the key: Cowboys getting a long term discount for paying him early. He makes $2m this year. Both sides should be motivated to do a deal. As long as Dak does not insist on his annual salary averaging over $30m per over the life of the deal, he will make out. And the team can fit in a salary increase to $20m+ this year.

Playing "tag", the team can keep Prescott for the next three years for less than $70 million in total. I'm not giving away that huge advantage to rush to pay him $90 million-plus over that same time period. I'd be perfectly content to let things play out and see where things stand in 2022. I wonder if Dak and his agent are quite so willing?

People want to try to use the Commanders and Cousins as some cautionary tale for using the tag, but looking at things strictly for what Cousins costs and has accomplished? Washington was right not to give him that huge deal. He took the Vikings from a Super Bowl contender to missing the playoffs. And his record against winning teams is atrocious. If anything, it looks like Minnesota has buyers remorse for guaranteeing that deal.

Teams that are paying these quarterbacks huge money have had to clean house around them:
  • Green Bay with Cobb and Jordy Nelson
  • Pittsburgh with Antonio Brown and Bell
  • Seattle trading away Frank Clark after losing the Legion of Boom
That's not a model that I would choose to follow.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well.. It's smart to not pay Dak 30 mill a year so im surprised they aren't willing to cave.

I like the approach. Put this off and find someone else if his number doesn't come down.

He is replaceable.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Or...let him earn his two million this season then just let him walk.

Interesting if we draft a QB in rounds 3 or 4 this term.

Yeah it will be interesting to watch this franchise flounder again without a viable starting QB. They have one...let him walk....makes perfect sense in Jerryland.

Last edited:

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
All good and fine, except that 1) Jerry Jones is the owner/GM, and 2) Jerry Jones is all-in on Dak Prescott being our franchise QB going forward.

Anyone remember any major problems Jerry had with paying Tony Romo then-current market-value? Well, he’s not gonna have any problems paying Dak at today’s rate, either...and son Stephen, or anyone else, isn't gonna talk him out of it. You can take that to the bank.

Maybe i'm not giving Jerry and Stephan enough credit here. It's entirely possible that they do actually realize it is more of the "team carrying Dak" than the other way around (Like it was with Romo which is why he kept getting extended) and which is why they are willing to go this reported root with Dak. I've been saying all along that i did not believe the Cowboys would extend Dak this off season and i'm sticking with that

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Can we all just wait and see how Dak does with a new OC, quality receiving core, and a pass protection scheme that actually protects? Can we just see how that goes? Can we also admit that Linehan and Garrett are as bad a combo as a QB could want to have, especially a young QB? Can we also admit maybe handing the offense to an inexperienced 30 year old OC with a Machiavellian head coach could be an issue? Overly the stupidity in Dallas and Dak's performance is remarkable.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well.. It's smart to not pay Dak 30 mill a year so im surprised they aren't willing to cave.

I like the approach. Put this off and find someone else if his number doesn't come down.

He is replaceable.

Do we for a fact what his numbers are?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He is replaceable.

I think it will be a smart team that bucks the trend of simply throwing crazy money at its quarterback and strapping their entire team in the process.

The best quarterbacks in the league (Brady and Brees) are being paid handsomely but not ridiculously. Meanwhile, the top 6 highest paid quarterbacks all watched the playoffs from home.

Which model would you want to follow?
:huh:

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I would franchise him next year at the 1st and 3rd level and hope someone signs him. I would draft a QB high next year regardless. I would not give Dak more than $22 million a year but I would add escalators to that number tied to post season performance and success. He could possibly make his asking price but only after hoisting the Lombardi.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Appears Cowboys don't think another NFL team would pay Dak $30 million year (supposedly Dak asking price). Charean Williams thinks if Dak doesn't lower his demands the situation could go similar fashion to Washington with Kirk Cousins (franchised twice).

If we do the math that strategy would work out for Cowboys. Franchise tag will be $28 million next year & $30 million year after. Dak currently makes $2 million. So if you avg that out, Dallas would get Dak for next 3 years at about $20 million year. Then he walks and Dallas goes for new QB.

This total speculation will surely give the haters some meat to chew on. Probably 20+ pages by EOD.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If the first tag is at $28 the second tag would be a minimum of $33.6 (120% of previous salary or average of top 5, whichever is higher) A second tag would be ridiculous, because at that point, you're not serious about resigning him and we should have gotten another QB before that.

Yep, so franchising him doesnt pan out.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think it will be a smart team that bucks the trend of simply throwing crazy money at its quarterback and strapping their entire team in the process.

The best quarterbacks in the league (Brady and Brees) are being paid handsomely but not ridiculously. Meanwhile, the top 6 highest paid quarterbacks all watched the playoffs from home.

Which model would you want to follow?
:huh:

Hey... I'm all about rewarding a guy if they deserve it.

If you've won a Superbowl then go ahead and pay the guy but we have won nothing.

Romo who is an infinitely better player then Dak couldn't get it done and we gave him way too much money that contributed to him not having the best possible roster around him.

Pay Championship QB's and Elite QB's but don't pay mediocre guys like they have won it or you'll be in a Kirk Cousins situation.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Playing "tag", the team can keep Prescott for the next three years for less than $70 million in total. I'm not giving away that huge advantage to rush to pay him $90 million-plus over that same time period. I'd be perfectly content to let things play out and see where things stand in 2022. I wonder if Dak and his agent are quite so willing?

People want to try to use the Commanders and Cousins as some cautionary tale for using the tag, but looking at things strictly for what Cousins costs and has accomplished? Washington was right not to give him that huge deal. He took the Vikings from a Super Bowl contender to missing the playoffs. And his record against winning teams is atrocious. If anything, it looks like Minnesota has buyers remorse for guaranteeing that deal.

Teams that are paying these quarterbacks huge money have had to clean house around them:
  • Green Bay with Cobb and Jordy Nelson
  • Pittsburgh with Antonio Brown and Bell
  • Seattle trading away Frank Clark after losing the Legion of Boom
That's not a model that I would choose to follow.

While paying Cousins was debatable, it worked out for Cousins, but Washington isn't any better off without him than they were with him. Washington didn't win that standoff and Minnesota is in a better position to make the playoffs. Tagging Dak once is OK, tagging him twice is Washington bad and not a model to follow either, because that means our plan to sign him or find a replacement failed.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I like Dak. I would not pay any Quarterback 30 million when you have great offensive talent like Cooper and Zeke. They deserve the money. I think you could pay an average Quarterback like Foles 20 million and the offense would still roll.

Foles is already signed. where are you going to find another foles for 20 million?

Ill take Dak. Isnt the whole issue with you Dak dissenters is that you think Dak is average?

This team is ready to roll. The only thing they need to do is not screw it up.

But I agree with you on one level. With this type of offense that we have, we dont need some elite QB to win it. But we will need a top 5 D in my opinion.

visionary

Reaction score
Smart thing to do, 2 years at most and you know if he's the guy and that costs 1 tag so total is 15M averaged, save the $$$$ and avoid a huge mistake, just plain smart. Dak has a over valued view of himself if he thinks he's worth 30M a year, tag him and see if any one wants to give up those 2 first rounders for him.(bet there are no takers)

This
No long term deal
No QB this year in draft
Next draft is good for QB
Draft one next year and franchise Dak for a year

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Tua's stock is dropping. Perrrrfect!!!
rubbing-hands.gif