Charean Williams believes Dallas might franchise Dak 2 years

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Your not averaging over 2 years you average over 3 years including this year so for the next 3 years it would average our to approx 21m per season

the last two years the hit is 28 million and then 32 million all in that year. How it affects the cap is really all that matters. You dont get to average it against the cap each year. Thats all I am saying.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey... I'm all about rewarding a guy if they deserve it.

If you've won a Superbowl then go ahead and pay the guy but we have won nothing.

Romo who is an infinitely better player then Dak couldn't get it done and we gave him way too much money that contributed to him not having the best possible roster around him.

Pay Championship QB's and Elite QB's but don't pay mediocre guys like they have won it or you'll be in a Kirk Cousins situation.

I'm all about guys earning it too. Teams like the Lions Raiders, and Vikings simply threw money at quarterbacks who haven't won anything. And they didn't win anything. Or even make the playoffs. I'm not interested in following their lead.

And someone let me know when any of the teams that have recently given their quarterbacks huge money like Green Bay, Seattle, and now Pittsburgh win again after having done that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they were to back off on his salary demand and use the tag, I would gain a lot of respect for the brain trust but then we need to back up a little here as well. These guys, at least we can assume the majority of them, didn't have him in their sights and tried for two other QB's ahead of him in that draft.

We've been tossing around players that would be out of these up for new deals, like Jones and Elliott, but that player could be the QB.

If any team doesn't have their franchise for the future, without any doubts, the fact that Tua is coming up next and then right behind him what could be the highest touted QB in draft history in Trevor Lawrence, they're foolish not to keep their options open. Lawrence is the type player that I could see Booger pulling out all the stops to bring to Dallas. And if you haven't seen this kid play QB, you haven't seen the best, at his age, I've ever witnessed. He could easily be a team's franchise for 10-15 years and the kind of player Booger would love promoting.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think it will be a smart team that bucks the trend of simply throwing crazy money at its quarterback and strapping their entire team in the process.

The best quarterbacks in the league (Brady and Brees) are being paid handsomely but not ridiculously. Meanwhile, the top 6 highest paid quarterbacks all watched the playoffs from home.

Which model would you want to follow?
:huh:
Brady and Brees have both played for almost 2 decades and have already made a ton of money. They are set for life and can afford to worry about their legacy at this point in their careers, players looking at their first big payday are usually not so accommodating.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
the last two years the hit is 28 million and then 32 million all in that year. How it affects the cap is really all that matters. You dont get to average it against the cap each year. Thats all I am saying.

I get that but you have to include the 2m hit for this season also if you are going to do that because if he signs a long term deal that number this year also goes way up

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Your not averaging over 2 years you average over 3 years including this year so for the next 3 years it would average our to approx 21m per season

If he is looking to get 30 million a year and we get no discount for signing him this year, then there is no point in signing him THIS year. If he would take 25 million or possibly 28 million over the next 5 years then maybe you do it.

InTheZone

Reaction score
So what are they supposed to go into the negotiations telling Dak he might get hurt? Doesn't work like that unless the player has a history.

Would you feel better if I said "as long as Dak doesnt get hurt, killed in a car accident, maimed by a tiger on a saffari, then his price is only going up"?

:grin:

And as far as a prove a it year, thats what last year was. He had middling pass catchers, a banged up Oline that couldnt pass block, the Cowboys started out 3-5 and he still led them to the playoffs by going 7-1 down the stretch with several last minute drive victories, won a playoff game and made another pro bowl.

Threw for over 2200k yards in the last 8 games of the season for those that think stats are all that matter. Averaged 278 yards/game.
Don't blame the OL one, he finished #10 in time to throw. In these games, including yourself, we were questioning wth Dak is looking at or when's he going to throw the !&#\÷_!$ football instead of just eating an unnecessary sack.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Appears Cowboys don't think another NFL team would pay Dak $30 million year (supposedly Dak asking price). Charean Williams thinks if Dak doesn't lower his demands the situation could go similar fashion to Washington with Kirk Cousins (franchised twice).

If we do the math that strategy would work out for Cowboys. Franchise tag will be $28 million next year & $30 million year after. Dak currently makes $2 million. So if you avg that out, Dallas would get Dak for next 3 years at about $20 million year. Then he walks and Dallas goes for new QB.

Of course with the franchise tag it's not necessarily that another team wouldn't pay $30 million, it's that they wouldn't want to give up 2 first round draft picks on top of paying $30 million. That's the real reason you don't see teams stealing away guys who are franchised.

Are we even sure Dak is asking $30 million, or is that speculation?

The other curious thing is that by franchising him 2 years the Cowboys would end up paying more than $30 million each year anyway, and by the time the 3rd year rolled around $30 million would likely be pretty ordinary. Of course, I guess the team doesn't have to guarantee a certain total amount by using the franchise tag, so maybe that's the trade off.

I have to believe something in the range of $27-28 million is possible, unless the Cowboys aren't really convinced Dak is truly the right guy long term, in which case the franchise tag is probably the best way to go.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While paying Cousins was debatable, it worked out for Cousins, but Washington isn't any better off without him than they were with him.

Washington's situation is now outside of having Cousins or not. Their follow-up moves are unrelated to the Cousins situation.

Washington didn't win that standoff and Minnesota is in a better position to make the playoffs.

How is this accurate? They went from the NFC Championship Game without Cousins to out of the playoffs with him. That's the opposite of what you're claiming.

Tagging Dak once is OK, tagging him twice is Washington bad and not a model to follow either, because that means our plan to sign him or find a replacement failed.

I'm not suggesting not looking for his replacement over those three years. If negotiations look bad, I'm fine with starting to look this year.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
If he is looking to get 30 million a year and we get no discount for signing him this year, then there is no point in signing him THIS year. If he would take 25 million or possibly 28 million over the next 5 years then maybe you do it.

Which is why the report states the Cowboys will franchise unless Dak lowers his demands from 30m per season, so ya i agree with you he needs to come down a good chunk from that 30m demand if he wants a long term deal this season, assumming everything is being reported correctly

blueblood70

Reaction score
He walks & then we go for a new qb? So we then suck after that.
not always true if we know hes not signing we start planning ahead , get White more work and draft another guy, worse case scenario we get a VEt to bridge the gap..Vikes won with Case Keenum..others have done it..

Im not saying I want to see Dak go but hes no Aaron Rogers, Brees, Mahomes, or brady..Hes repalcable if we keep Oline , Zeke, zekes backup upgrade, and the defense is getting better..you simply can NOT overpay a QB who is overvaluing himself.. hes 25-27mil guy in state with no state tax and cheaper housing, plus all the endorsements he gets here as a DC vs somewhere else, if Dak and his agent cant take 25 mil this time around and earn his 30, well I say FT him and start looking for replacement, IF in the even he steps up another level, pay him..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don't blame the OL one, he finished #10 in time to throw. In these games, including yourself, we were questioning wth Dak is looking at or when's he going to throw the !&#\÷_!$ football instead of just eating an unnecessary sack.

Ignore.........Poof. Troll disappears.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
While paying Cousins was debatable, it worked out for Cousins, but Washington isn't any better off without him than they were with him. Washington didn't win that standoff and Minnesota is in a better position to make the playoffs. Tagging Dak once is OK, tagging him twice is Washington bad and not a model to follow either, because that means our plan to sign him or find a replacement failed.

^^this.....their QB situation has been a mess since he left. If the Skins had signed Cousin to a long-term deal prior to his first tag, I'm pretty sure he would've only cost them $18-20M per at the time and stabilized the position for five years. Instead, they end up spending a ton of money on Alex Smith and now there's the talk of moving up in the draft for a QB.

I'll reluctantly agree to tag him once if we have to but if you think your QB is good enough be tagged in the first place to deserve $25-28M, you probably better off keeping him. I see nothing wrong with giving him a long-term deal at market value now with a 3-year review/out for either Dak or Cowboys.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
not always true if we know hes not signing we start planning ahead , get White more work and draft another guy, worse case scenario we get a VEt to bridge the gap..Vikes won with Case Keenum..others have done it..

Im not saying I want to see Dak go but hes no Aaron Rogers, Brees, Mahomes, or brady..Hes repalcable if we keep Oline , Zeke, zekes backup upgrade, and the defense is getting better..you simply can NOT overpay a QB who is overvaluing himself.. hes 25-27mil guy in state with no state tax and cheaper housing, plus all the endorsements he gets here as a DC vs somewhere else, if Dak and his agent cant take 25 mil this time around and earn his 30, well I say FT him and start looking for replacement, IF in the even he steps up another level, pay him..

Blue.....Vikes sent Keenum packing after one year obviously deciding he wasn't the long-term answer. lol

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The downside is twofold. Firstly, with a long term deal, even if you give him 28 per, you can greatly reduce his cap hit this year and next to like 10-15m$, allowing you to bring in multiple stars to complete the roster. Conversely, a 28 million dollar franchise tag has to hit for 28 million all that year.

The second one is if he breaks out in 2020-2021, not only is the next contract going to be much more enormous than if you signed him now, but he’ll be able to test free agency because you can’t tag him again for a 40m$ Cap hit (point 1). So either he leaves, or you have to contend with the astronomical contracts NYJ/DEN/LAC/whoever would offer him. Suddenly he goes from 28 million a year in 2019 to 38 million a year in 2021. Potentially. But obviously he’s not going to suddenly bust, so either he remains the same or he gets better and costs you a ton more later.

This final note isn’t because he’s a Cowboy, even if he were an Eagle, if I were Dak I would start my holdout the day after the draft. He’s essentially been playing for the NFL’s version of minimum wage while leading America’s team to 3 consecutive winning seasons, 2 division championships, 2 divisional round births, and some of not only the best statistical seasons in Dallas history, but in NFL history.

All this for... 1/50th of what he’s worth? He may never get the chance again to get paid like this. All it take is a weird back injury in week 1 and all his money is gone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brady and Brees have both played for almost 2 decades and have already made a ton of money. They are set for life and can afford to worry about their legacy at this point in their careers, players looking at their first big payday are usually not so accommodating.

Not as smart either. Prescott makes more in endorsements as the quarterback of America's Team than he would anywhere else. There are many advantages off the field that come with being the Cowboys quarterback on the field.

Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, and Tony Romo can all tell you that, as could Don Meredith before his passing.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

LOL..........White, draft another guy, vet to bridge the gap?

No thank you.

How about we just pay our franchise QB the going rate for franchise QB's? The ONLY teams that are going to have an advantage in the salary cap over the Cowboys are teams with elite young QB's on a rookie deal. Or teams with older franchise QB's like Brees and Brady that have simply taken less. In 2 to 3 years Daks deal will probably look like a bargain in the current landscape and all those other guys we just mentioned will be gone or getting even bigger deals from their teams.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
The downside is twofold. Firstly, with a long term deal, even if you give him 28 per, you can greatly reduce his cap hit this year and next to like 10-15m$, allowing you to bring in multiple stars to complete the roster. Conversely, a 28 million dollar franchise tag has to hit for 28 million all that year.

The second one is if he breaks out in 2020-2021, not only is the next contract going to be much more enormous than if you signed him now, but he’ll be able to test free agency because you can’t tag him again for like 40m$. So either he leaves, or you have to contend with the astronomical contracts NYJ/DEN/LAC/whoever would want him. Suddenly he goes from 28 million a year in 2019 to 38 million a year in 2021. Potentially. But obviously he’s not going to suddenly bust, so either he remains the same or he gets better and costs you a ton more later.

This isn’t because he’s a Cowboy, even if he were an Eagle, if I were Dak I would start my holdout the day after the draft. He’s essentially been playing for the NFL’s version of minimum wage while leading America’s team to 3 consecutive winning season, 2 division championships, 2 divisional round births, and some of not only the best statistical seasons in Dallas history, but in NFL history.

All this for... 1/50th of what he’s worth? He may never get the chance again to get paid like this. All it take is a weird back injury in week 1 and all his money is gone.

Dak won't hold out, even he is smart enough to know that he is on shakey ground with half the fan base, holding out would only hurt him more with the other half

JReed1000

Reaction score
Its all fun and Games UNTIL Dak takes us to the NFC Championship game...OR dare I say a Superbowl within those 2 years. THEN you have a 26 year old QB that's even more seasoned and will be able to demand even more. Please stop these shenanigans.