Charean Williams believes Dallas might franchise Dak 2 years

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Of course with the franchise tag it's not necessarily that another team wouldn't pay $30 million, it's that they wouldn't want to give up 2 first round draft picks on top of paying $30 million. That's the real reason you don't see teams stealing away guys who are franchised.

Are we even sure Dak is asking $30 million, or is that speculation?

The other curious thing is that by franchising him 2 years the Cowboys would end up paying more than $30 million each year anyway, and by the time the 3rd year rolled around $30 million would likely be pretty ordinary. Of course, I guess the team doesn't have to guarantee a certain total amount by using the franchise tag, so maybe that's the trade off.

I have to believe something in the range of $27-28 million is possible, unless the Cowboys aren't really convinced Dak is truly the right guy long term, in which case the franchise tag is probably the best way to go.

Hell no! 1000% speculation like DLaw was demanding the highest defensive player contract.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Washington's situation is now outside of having Cousins or not. Their follow-up moves are unrelated to the Cousins situation.

How is this accurate? They went from the NFC Championship Game without Cousins to out of the playoffs with him. That's the opposite of what you're claiming.

I'm not suggesting not looking for his replacement over those three years. If negotiations look bad, I'm fine with starting to look this year.

This has always been the huge problem with the Cowboys FO. They bring in no competition for their QB's or other star players.

Just like they need to draft another young RB, I would never pass up on a good QB prospect.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Dak won't hold out, even he is smart enough to know that he is on shakey ground with half the fan base, holding out would only hurt him more with the other half

But Dallas can’t afford to not have him, holding out would work, especially in Garrett’s lame duck season

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dak won't hold out, even he is smart enough to know that he is on shakey ground with half the fan base, holding out would only hurt him more with the other half

Theres no half buddy. I would say maybe 20% dont like Dak. And why would he care what the fan base thinks anyway. Dak is going to get paid by someone. Either the Cowboys or another team in the open market.

And yah, I know there is 20% of the fanbase that wont agree with that.

Flamma

Reaction score
Appears Cowboys don't think another NFL team would pay Dak $30 million year (supposedly Dak asking price). Charean Williams thinks if Dak doesn't lower his demands the situation could go similar fashion to Washington with Kirk Cousins (franchised twice).

If we do the math that strategy would work out for Cowboys. Franchise tag will be $28 million next year & $30 million year after. Dak currently makes $2 million. So if you avg that out, Dallas would get Dak for next 3 years at about $20 million year. Then he walks and Dallas goes for new QB.

If they truly didn't think another team would offer him that much, then they don't need to franchise tag him. They would Transition tag him because it's much cheaper. Clearly they think there is a chance another team would offer him a contract they wouldn't be willing to match.

I personally think they should go the Transition route because they are most likely right. Very few teams need a starting QB and most of them are probably going to get one in this draft. Leaving just about no one. But that's this year. Next year could be different.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd rather franchise him twice than pay an average QB a ton of guaranteed money. And maybe during those 2 franchise tagged years Dak actually becomes great and earns a big contract.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has always been the huge problem with the Cowboys FO. They bring in no competition for their QB's or other star players.

Just like they need to draft another young RB, I would never pass up on a good QB prospect.

In fairness, what teams do bring in competition for their star players? Teams don't use a 1st or 2nd round draft pick or spend big free agency money on a player to provide competition at a position already manned by a star player, they use that to try and put another star player in a position that is lacking one.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In my opinion, this team has nothing but question marks behind Prescott. Mike White is an unknown, and the Cooper Rush I saw in year two was bad enough to have plaed himself out of the league. His roster spot should most definitely be open for competition.

I hoped that they would have brought in TJ Yeldon. A young player at just 25 years old that has produced when given the opportunity. He signed in Buffalo to be the #3 running back behind Lesean McCoy and Frank Gore.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Many put too much in what Booger & Son say to the media about any player, they're going to spin it regardless. When it comes down to committing themselves to this long term, they might have a few reservations at that salary level.

And I do not blame Prescott for going for the gold with his only shot at it right now. And I don't have a problem with them paying a QB the top 5 franchise salary that's going to take but I am not sold that this is that QB yet. They've got a lot of money committed to players with more coming up and there's nothing wrong with letting him play out his contract and making the decision after this season. Of course, it would have been better if they'd kept their mouths shut about wanting to extend him now but that's just par for the course with this group of magpies.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Right. We are going to take the least cap friendly approach because we are worried that a big contract would hurt the cap.

That's just bad reporting.

The tag is the average of the top 5 QB deals. The tag was 25 million last year with several QBs getting new deals that far exceed that value, the tag will end up at or close to 30 mill.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Theres no half buddy. I would say maybe 20% dont like Dak. And why would he care what the fan base thinks anyway. Dak is going to get paid by someone. Either the Cowboys or another team in the open market.

And yah, I know there is 20% of the fanbase that wont agree with that.[/QUOTE
either

I probably shouldn't have said "don't like", it's not the right term but i believe at least half the fan base do not believe he is the answer. I don't dislike Dak but i don't think he is the answer

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I think you're greatly overestimating how much players consider the fan base's feelings before deciding whether or not to hold out.

I know it wouldn't even be part of my equation as a player. Fans are fickle, careers are short, and the fan base doesn't sign my paycheck.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Is it just me or should a QB wanting top tier money actually play like one first?
How do you know Dak will not get injured this season? Then you are on the Hook for guaranteed money. I'm just saying that the price might not be going up. I think it sort of a prove it year for Dak.

Same goes for Zeke proving he deserves top running back money too.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I think you're greatly overestimating how much players consider the fan base's feelings before deciding whether or not to hold out.

I know it wouldn't even be part of my equation as a player. Fans are fickle, careers are short, and the fan base doesn't sign my paycheck.

I would agree with you if i thought the entire fanbase would be behind him if he held out but i think knowing that is not the case it would not be something Dak would like to do, just my opinion

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We drated Mike White last year. Gotta see what he has in camp. He has the strong arm.

I agree. I don't mind a late-round quarterback to replace Rush and have White move up to No. 2, but I don't think this is the time to address the QB situation. Try to develop one while figuring out what to do about Dak.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I would agree with you if i thought the entire fanbase would be behind him if he held out but i think knowing that is not the case it would not be something Dak would like to do, just my opinion
It would actually make a lot of sense for Dak to hold out as a negotiating tactic, but I’m fairly sure Dak isn’t dumb enough to take the risk that White/Rush might also be good at handing off and throwing straight line passes to wide open receivers.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
The QB market is going to explode once Mahomes signs an extension after this year, with some reports saying his new deal could be worth $200 million. If the Cowboys decide to not extend Dak now and he ends up playing great then they will have made a costly mistake.