Charean Williams believes Dallas might franchise Dak 2 years

Qcard

Reaction score
They are simply speculating without any info on the deal or money being discussed by the team and Dak. If they tag Dak and the tag is $28 a second tag would be at least $33.6, but could be more depending on new contracts between now and then. Tagging Dak twice also means not having the tag to use on any other player, Zeke comes to mind. Tagging Dak twice is a horrible option, using any strategy employed by the Washington FO is a bad strategy in general. Tagging Dak once is fine, but that basically becomes the floor for any future deals. If they plan to walk away from Dak, then they need a plan in place before that happens and saying you will find a new QB is not a plan. It means tanking or acquiring resources and draft capital to make a deal for that new QB and hope that he is actually an improvement.
:hammer:Grown up post right there:hammer:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Washington's situation is now outside of having Cousins or not. Their follow-up moves are unrelated to the Cousins situation.

How is this accurate? They went from the NFC Championship Game without Cousins to out of the playoffs with him. That's the opposite of what you're claiming.

I'm not suggesting not looking for his replacement over those three years. If negotiations look bad, I'm fine with starting to look this year.

It is related to their Cousin's moves because they failed to have a QB in place and played the tag game and went bargain hunting for a replacement. Of course, Smith's injury couldn't have been foreseen, but he was a stop gap and weren't prepared for a post-Cousin's era.

Minnesota's failure this season was as much or more about the their defense regressing and their rookie OC pooping the bed and having to be replaced midseason. I'm no fan of Cousin's, but Keenam was not their long term answer either, the same way Smith's wasn't going to be Washington's answer either.

If the FO thinks Dak is the man, they need to work a deal not play the tag game. If a deal isn't worked out, let Dak play out the season. If he plays well, then the money will increase and if he doesn't, trade what you have to, to move up next year's draft for a blue chip prospect, sign a vet backup to start the next year and insert the rookie when necessary/ready. If we can't get a QB we want, then we have to make the decision at a stop gap vet, take a flyer on some team's backup with some sort of promise or tank for the following year. The only way I would tag Dak even once is to work out a trade with another team.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
The QB market is going to explode once Mahomes signs an extension after this year, with some reports saying his new deal could be worth $200 million. If the Cowboys decide to not extend Dak now and he ends up playing great then they will have made a costly mistake.

Dak has been in the league 3 years started 48 games and 3 playoff games. After 3 seasons what you see is what you get. Dak is who he is

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Dak has been in the league 3 years started 48 games and 3 playoff games. After 3 seasons what you see is what you get. Dak is who he is

Dak has led his team to two division titles and the second most wins in the NFL after Tom Brady. It won’t be easy to find a better QB than him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is related to their Cousin's moves because they failed to have a QB in place and played the tag game and went bargain hunting for a replacement. Of course, Smith's injury couldn't have been foreseen, but he was a stop gap and weren't prepared for a post-Cousin's era.

"Bargain hunting"? They paid a ton to Alex Smith. And they still will due to his injury. And their lack of preparation doesn't make not paying Cousins a bad decision. Their lack of preparation does.

Minnesota's failure this season was as much or more about the their defense regressing and their rookie OC pooping the bed and having to be replaced midseason. I'm no fan of Cousin's, but Keenam was not their long term answer either, the same way Smith's wasn't going to be Washington's answer either.

I'm not suggesting either was the right answer, only that Cousin clearly wasn't either, and the Vikings overpaid him and are now stuck. Nothing more than that.

If the FO thinks Dak is the man, they need to work a deal not play the tag game. If a deal isn't worked out, let Dak play out the season. If he plays well, then the money will increase and if he doesn't, trade what you have to, to move up next year's draft for a blue chip prospect, sign a vet backup to start the next year and insert the rookie when necessary/ready. If we can't get a QB we want, then we have to make the decision at a stop gap vet, take a flyer on some team's backup with some sort of promise or tank for the following year. The only way I would tag Dak even once is to work out a trade with another team.

I think what you're really saying is that unlike the Commanders and Vikings, Dallas needs a better contingency plan. And in that I agree.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Right. We are going to take the least cap friendly approach because we are worried that a big contract would hurt the cap.

That's just bad reporting.

The tag is the average of the top 5 QB deals. The tag was 25 million last year with several QBs getting new deals that far exceed that value, the tag will end up at or close to 30 mill.
Exactly ..... just pay the man and get it started
Going year to year is a distraction and waste of cap space for a QB

Save the FT for Zeke

5year extension for 140m........ with 68m gtd at signing and another 19m by March 2021
Total deal is 6/142m or 23.6m APY

Year...................Base..............Prorate...............CapHit
2019....................2m...............7m.........................9m
2020...................16m*.............7m + 3m..............11m...........*restructured down to 1m
2021...................15m..............7m + 3m...............25m
2022...................19m..............7m + 3m...............29m
2023...................25m..............7m + 3m...............35m
2024...................30m.......................3m...............33m

Year to Year.................0m gtd
2019....................2m...............................................2m
2020- FT.............27m............................................27m
2021- FT2.........32.4m.........................................32.4m
2022- FT3.........46.6m.........................................46.6m

Last edited:

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Never draft a QB with visible tattoos. Shows bad decision making.
15e8ed2868286b4f1d1289568562c2e3.jpg

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Not as smart either. Prescott makes more in endorsements as the quarterback of America's Team than he would anywhere else. There are many advantages off the field that come with being the Cowboys quarterback on the field.

Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, and Tony Romo can all tell you that, as could Don Meredith before his passing.

From a player's POV, that doesn't matter as much because they are looking for guaranteed money. If they suffer a career ending injury or enough of one to severely limit their worth, those endorsements go away too. Same thing for the, being QB for America's Team will get you offers after you retire, those offers only happen after you've had a career.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Good. I hope 30 a year is his asking price. That means he will come down. If it was 35 then he would be looking to settle for 30.

I don’t think the FO will let him walk. They believe he is the franchise QB. If they let him play out this year with no contract then we will tag him the next 2 years. It’s cheaper for us. If he improves this year big time then it will eventually cost us big time. The team can’t just use him for 3 more years and simply start over with a new QB unless we find someone as good or better. They aren’t like RB. Above average QB don’t even grow on trees. And if he takes us to and especially wins a SB then what? I hope we have that problem.

pansophy

Reaction score
All good and fine, except that 1) Jerry Jones is the owner/GM, and 2) Jerry Jones is all-in on Dak Prescott being our franchise QB going forward.

Anyone remember any major problems Jerry had with paying Tony Romo then-current market-value? Well, he’s not gonna have any problems paying Dak at today’s rate, either...and son Stephen, or anyone else, isn't gonna talk him out of it. You can take that to the bank.
I think Stephen is taking over more and more of the GM role and he doesn't get attached to players like Jerry. He is much more like Belichek. Do you really think Jerry wanted to cut Dez?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dak has led his team to two division titles and the second most wins in the NFL after Tom Brady. It won’t be easy to find a better QB than him.

A QB that throws for 20ish TDs?

Dak is a leader but he is very replaceable.

Acting like he is the biggest reason for the division titles is just silly.

Zeke is our best player. Dak is just along for the ride.

We have to run the ball more then any team in the league because Dak isn’t a Tom Brady type. He’s a Kirk Cousins / Alex Smith type.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Exactly ..... just pay the man and get it started
Going year to year is a distraction and waste of cap space for a QB

Save the FT for Zeke

5year extension for 140m........ with 68m gtd at signing and another 19m by March 2021
Total deal is 6/142m or 23.6m APY

Year...................Base..............Prorate...............CapHit
2019....................2m...............7m.........................9m
2020...................16m*.............7m + 3m..............11m...........*restructured down to 1m
2021...................15m..............7m + 3m...............25m
2022...................19m..............7m + 3m...............29m
2023...................25m..............7m + 3m...............35m
2024...................30m.......................3m...............33m

Year to Year.................0m gtd
2019....................2m...............................................2m
2020- FT.............27m............................................27m
2021- FT2.........32.4m.........................................32.4m
2022- FT3.........46.6m.........................................46.6m
Basically 28 a year. I have no problem with that. If he is asking 30 then they can settle there. He wants that guaranteed money anyways. Although the franchise QB usually get all there money or extended.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
A QB that throws for 20ish TDs?

Dak is a leader but he is very replaceable.

Acting like he is the biggest reason for the division titles is just silly.

Zeke is our best player. Dak is just along for the ride.

We have to run the ball more then any team in the league because Dak isn’t a Tom Brady type. He’s a Kirk Cousins / Alex Smith type.

A qb that plays in a run 1st offense. A qb who had a bad offensive coordinator (wr routes which were predictable).

If Zeke is our best player. why did he disappear vs the Rams? Dak showed up the 2nd half vs them, where was Zeke? Zeke REFUSED to run on the edges, kept running up the middle to the strength of the Rams d. Best player, no freakin way. Best players adjust their games.

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Foles is already signed. where are you going to find another foles for 20 million?

Ill take Dak. Isnt the whole issue with you Dak dissenters is that you think Dak is average?

This team is ready to roll. The only thing they need to do is not screw it up.

But I agree with you on one level. With this type of offense that we have, we dont need some elite QB to win it. But we will need a top 5 D in my opinion.
I think Dak is a 10-15 rank quarterback. At his best I think he could be Steve McNair. He is a good quarterback. Just not a hall of Famer. I think we have Superbowl team. Just need sure up a few spots.

To answer your question about Foles being signed by another team. We could pay Winston or Mariota 20 million. The team would still win.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
nd big endorsements only because of the star. I would be ok with 22 million per, but no way in hell id go up in the 25 plus. At some point a team is going to have to let a guy walk and see what he is worth. As these two stated, they dont see another team breaking the bank for Dak. Dak probably came into the best situation to start a career of any qb in ,,,....................... maybe ever. IN his rookie year he had the best Oline in football with the top RB in football. Im glad the front office is being smart about this. As SJ stated, this is an important deal for Dak as well as the franchise and they need to get it right.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
A qb that plays in a run 1st offense. A qb who had a bad offensive coordinator (wr routes which were predictable).

If Zeke is our best player. why did he disappear vs the Rams? Dak showed up the 2nd half vs them, where was Zeke? Zeke REFUSED to run on the edges, kept running up the middle to the strength of the Rams d. Best player, no freakin way. Best players adjust their games.

That post could go up on the all time worst posts thread. Thurman Thomas is a HOF back and a generational talent. What did he do in the SBs? To try and judge a player on 1 game is STUPID.

blueblood70

Reaction score
LOL..........White, draft another guy, vet to bridge the gap?

No thank you.

How about we just pay our franchise QB the going rate for franchise QB's? The ONLY teams that are going to have an advantage in the salary cap over the Cowboys are teams with elite young QB's on a rookie deal. Or teams with older franchise QB's like Brees and Brady that have simply taken less. In 2 to 3 years Daks deal will probably look like a bargain in the current landscape and all those other guys we just mentioned will be gone or getting even bigger deals from their teams.
franchise average vs franchise elite.. the issue is Daks people think hes 30plus and they are very wrong..hes 25-28 and that it..you cant pay Dak or anyone else like Carr and cousins elite money to get average results.. look im not hater I like Dak but ive seen your skewed view of who Dak is and isnt..RW took 21 his second contract add some inflation and that 25 nowadays RW proved himself and took his game another level and THAN got the big one..

this is debate most here that support dak but not in luv with him are in my mindset, yours is skewed..the JUST PAY THE MAN stops when hes asking for 29-31 IMO..he is NOT worth that..