Charger Steve Foley shot by police officer

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
I'm a physician and I sure as heck don't stop at every car wreck I see, no physician does. There are set ways to handle things like this and Mr. Cowboy spelled it out. Mr. Cowboy is the only person here that is a cop discussing this issue, so he has a little more credence about it than us laypeople. I would never stop for my car because somebody said pull over and they were driving in a regular car. We will know soon enough if he was drunk or not, everything else is pure speculation.

If you read my posts, you clearly read where i stated "a law of this magnitude". Perhaps you skipped over that while you were refreshing your memory of the hippocratic oath. I never once stated that a police officer should attempt to interfere every time he/she witness criminal behavior. Would you stop at an severe accident if there were no other authorities present? Would you even contact an emergency crew? If after reading these last few posts, you believe yourself and Mr. Cowboy to have more credibility, then so be it, that is your opinion. As for my opinion, I am glad you are not my physician, and i am glad Mr. Cowboy is not a police officer in my community. I will leave you with the fact that i hope your apparent inclination towards inaction never comes back to haunt you. I would hope a physician of a differing mindset would stop if you were in a severe accident caused by a irregularly behaving vehicle being followed by an off-duty police officer waiting for an on-duty peer (with the same training) to arrive and investigate. I would hope that HE would stop.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
RoyHeaddipinelaphass said:
He has been well trained by with the tax payers' money.

Let's be clear. He was OFF DUTY driving an UNMARKED car.
With so many car jacking stories and stolen police badges,
how can he be sure that people will believe him that he is an off duty police officer?

His duty is to call a uniform police officer for backup and wait in the car for their arrival, especially knowingly that he is outside his jurisdiction.

He should not employ the "Shoot First and Ask Question Later" method, just because he is licensed to carry a gun. Over the years all over this country, there had been too many stories after stories of these kind of DWB history to simply dismiss this event as regular driving erratic event.

He knew damn well that Steve Foley was not carrying any weapon or this wasn't a robbery case either.
Do you realize how many times Steve Foley has been stopped through out his life, just because he was DWB?

Do you people even read all of the information presented before you start typing?

mperfection

Reaction score
dmq said:
Tough luck. He was actually aiming at Keith Davis

Please...give it a rest. These posts about the Davis shooting are getting old. Don't forget - the man could have lost his life in the incident. The shooting is not funny at all.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Like I said earlier, law enforcement officers are not on duty 24 hours a day. WE don't get paid enough to do our regular duty, why would you expect us to do it when we are off duty? We are regular citizens when not in our official capacity. When I go to the gorcery store or to a baseball game, I don't want to be concerned with enforcing the law.

Now in this situation, what equipment do I have at my disposal to make a traffic stop? Why should the suspect stop for someone driving an 91 Chevy P/U, claiming to be a police officer? He was stupid for even trying. Again the proper thing to do was to follow closely, call the proper authoriities, and wait for backup.

And I am glad I don't live in your community, where you would expect me to be on duty, at your beck and call, 24 X 7 X 365. I don't get paid enough put my life at risk while on my off time. Every officer is trained how to handle these situations, and I doubt this officer handled it properly.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Foley shot by off-duty officer; injuries to leg, arm, chest

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Chargers linebacker Steve Foley was shot near his upscale suburban house by an off-duty policeman early Sunday morning in his second brush with police in 4½ months. Coach Marty Schottenheimer said the wounds were not life-threatening.
s4483.jpg
[SIZE=-2]Foley[/SIZE]

"All we're worried about is that he's OK," Schottenheimer told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Foley's agent, David Levine, told the AP that Foley was shot three times and had surgery for wounds to his leg, arm and chest.

"He's out of danger at this point," Levine said.

The Chargers will open the season at Oakland on Sept. 11, the day Foley turns 31.

Sheriff's officials said the early morning shooting occurred after the off-duty Coronado police officer followed a suspected drunken driver weaving in and out of freeway traffic at speeds up to 90 mph. Authorities said the driver nearly collided with several other vehicles.

Foley stopped three times, sheriff's officials said. During one of the stops, Lisa Maree Gaut, a passenger in the vehicle, yelled at the officer, authorities said.

The shooting occurred after Foley got out of the vehicle near his home and began walking toward the officer, sheriff's officials said. Gaut got behind the wheel and drove next to Foley in the direction of the officer, the officials said.

The officer identified himself, authorities said, and warned Foley he was armed. He fired a warning shot, at which point Gaut steered the car at the officer, sheriff's officials said.

"The officer fired two rounds at the vehicle," sheriff's Lt. Dennis Brugos said. "The male then came at the officer and put his right hand by his waistband and the officer fired at him."

Paramedics were called to the neighborhood in Poway, northeast of San Diego, at 3:47 a.m. and transferred a trauma victim to Sharp Memorial Hospital.

Sheriff's officials wouldn't say how many times Foley was shot or what, if any, charges will be filed against him.

Coronado police also declined to give any information about the off-duty officer. Coronado, a wealthy peninsular enclave, is across the bay from downtown San Diego. Sheriff's officials said the off-duty officer first encountered Foley on a freeway in northern San Diego.

Gaut, 25, was booked into Las Colinas Detention Facility on suspicion of DUI and assault with a deadly weapon. Bail was set at $17,500. She was scheduled to appear in court on Thursday.

Meanwhile, authorities towed a Cutlass Supreme with a purple interior late Sunday afternoon from the neighborhood of spacious ranch homes, large lots and towering eucalyptus trees.

Neighbor Kent Goodman said the car belonged to Foley. According to the Chargers' media guide, Foley and his father restored a 1971 Cutlass Supreme.

Another neighbor, Rick Jennings, said he was awake at 3:40 a.m. when he heard yelling outside. He went outside after hearing two loud pops he thought were firecrackers.

"I heard a female scream, 'Let it go! No, no, no!' And then four more shots. I heard more screaming and then two more shots and in seconds the first marked officer showed up."

Goodman, who lives three doors from Foley, said he awoke to what he thought was the revving of Foley's car.

"It sounded like his car backfired a couple times. A few seconds passed and I heard more revving and then rapid shots. They were in rapid succession," Goodman said.

Foley had lived at the Poway home for about 1½ years.

Foley, who played at Northeast Louisiana from 1994-97, has played eight seasons in the NFL, for Cincinnati, Houston and San Diego. He signed with the Chargers in March 2004. That year he set career highs with 10 sacks and five forced fumbles.

Foley was arrested April 21 on charges of resisting arrest after police said he scuffled with officers. He also was booked on charges of battery on a police officer and public drunkenness.

The district attorney's office said recently it was not pursuing charges against Foley in that incident.

The Chargers did not practice on Sunday.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
tomson75 said:
As for my opinion, I am glad you are not my physician.
Or you my patient, I got 120 people to see on Tuesday, I don't need the aggravation. They sure as heck value my opinion. As far as this situation goes, like I said once the Blood alcohol level comes back this will be much clearer. What if his BAC is 0 then got shot by an off duty officer on his own property for driving fast. If it is high then some but not all of the cops actions will seem more justified.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
stealth said:
lol she is driving at the cop so the cop shoots steve foley multiple times?

sounds like he is an officer of the year candidate for sure.

LOL... mighty quick to assume the cops are in the wrong here, aren't you??

Could it be that you've had an unpleasant experience or two with the law, and badly WANT the officer in question to be at fault??

Gee, I wonder why a cop might use his weapon if a drunk who goes 240-250 pounds, and is built like a bodybuilder, comes after him??

Needless to say, it takes a special kind of stupid, drunk or sober, to keep on coming at a guy who's got a gun drawn on you...

One thing we know for absolute certain, you've prejudged this whole situation, without having the first clue what the facts are...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Big Dakota said:
Meanwhile, authorities towed a Cutlass Supreme with a purple interior late Sunday afternoon from the neighborhood of spacious ranch homes, large lots and towering eucalyptus trees.

Neighbor Kent Goodman said the car belonged to Foley. According to the Chargers' media guide, Foley and his father restored a 1971 Cutlass Supreme.

Lemme get this straight-- he was driving a 71 Cutlass with a purple interior??

That in itself ought to be a felony... Class A Bad Taste...

trueblue1687

Reaction score
jman said:
Unless you know the policy of that particular police department, you should be careful calling a cop an idiot.

Some police departments require even off duty police officers to carry their weapon at all times and when needed act as if he was on duty if the circumstances calls for it.

Steve Foley is the idiot...that's without question. Period.

EXACTLY. Take this as fact: cops are NEVER off duty. Anybody who is stupid enough to bring fists to a gunfight is the real idiot. Looks like Foley learned a painful lesson. Obviously he has a problem with authority based on his previous assaults on Police.

To the clown flexing about "defending himself" against a police officer with a gun pointed at him: try that out and get back to us with how it works out. I get a kick outta guys like you!;)

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
Like I said earlier, law enforcement officers are not on duty 24 hours a day. WE don't get paid enough to do our regular duty, why would you expect us to do it when we are off duty? We are regular citizens when not in our official capacity. When I go to the gorcery store or to a baseball game, I don't want to be concerned with enforcing the law.

Now in this situation, what equipment do I have at my disposal to make a traffic stop? Why should the suspect stop for someone driving an 91 Chevy P/U, claiming to be a police officer? He was stupid for even trying. Again the proper thing to do was to follow closely, call the proper authoriities, and wait for backup.

And I am glad I don't live in your community, where you would expect me to be on duty, at your beck and call, 24 X 7 X 365. I don't get paid enough put my life at risk while on my off time. Every officer is trained how to handle these situations, and I doubt this officer handled it properly.

I hate to tell you pal, but you're on duty whether you want to believe it or not. There are alot of things this cop may have been doing that just may have been right...I don't recall reading anything about what car he was driving (could be returning from an extra job or assigned to an unmarked???). I can guarantee that guys I work with would have quite a different opinion of a cop who flat out fails to act, be it at a ball game or not. Now, obviously some things are more in need of addressing than others, but maybe, just maybe you are assuming alot about the officer and not quite enough about an idiot who bales out of his ride and refuses to comply with commands. If he didn't think the cop was legit, all he would have to do is call for a marked unit. Guys that have the attitude of getting paid never last in LE anyway. Not saying it's bad to want the pay, but even when you're on duty, you aren't paid enough for your life.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
They may be able to carry guns, but that doesn't mean that they can enforce laws anywhere they want. All this means is that they have a glorified gun permit.

And why would they want to enforce laws while off duty? If you are a teacher do you go around teaching on your time off.

First off, President Bush was the one who signed the nationwide carry bill into law. Secondly, you aren't the only one who posts here in law enforcement. I have nearly as much tenure as you claim to have and I can tell you that what you are saying is at best a partial truth. I have taught liability management to alot of different PDs in the North and Southeast and can tell you that you are forgetting about actually being sworn to act. As I've said previously, it certainly is not wise or prudent to act on EVERY single thing you encounter while off duty, but Officers DO have to make judgement calls and obviously this cop did. It is just as wrong to judge him prematurely...Foley obviously made a very bad mistake by flexing on anyone with a gun. And come on...if he really thought he was getting jacked, wouldn't most people call the police (solving the question of legitimacy altogether)??
Lastly, your posts sound like that you are completely about the money. If that is the case...I think you may have made a mistake by choosing Law Enforcement as a career, but surely in 20 years of service you've figured that out. As to your question about enforcing laws while off duty: There is also something called ethics that you have surely encountered in 20 years of service?? Perhaps the oath you took when you hired on?? I guess that's what disturbs me about the aire of your posts....definately 180 degrees from ANY cop I've ever met.

NAtedawg44: If you are a legitimate physician, I can understand why your profession has dropped to the level of attorney in the publics trust. It is obvious that you are solely about making a buck. So, pass that car wreck on by....it may be your family there one day...which would be a great reason to re-think that approach. Just my .02.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I get questions about my job when I'm not at work; does that mean I should charge people my hourly wage if they have a problem they need to discuss? After all, I'm not on the clock, why should I help them?

As I stated previously, the officer could have gone about it differently, but Foley definitely could have gone about it differently.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Avery said:
I get questions about my job when I'm not at work; does that mean I should charge people my hourly wage if they have a problem they need to discuss? After all, I'm not on the clock, why should I help them?

As I stated previously, the officer could have gone about it differently, but Foley definitely could have gone about it differently.

Good analogy Avery.
Apparently, others on this board feel it means that you should completely ignore them. No one is saying that an off-duty police officer should take action every time he sees a minor indiscretion. Quite the contrary actually, especially when ones own well being is at risk. Unfortunately, in this age of apathy and overreaction, it is unreasonable to expect a person of any public service profession to embrace that professions ideals full-time. However, that does not justify idleness simply becasue one is "off the clock". This seems to be a situation where this particular police officer thought that his action was requisite to the good of others, and, if that is truly the case, i salute him for it.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
trueblue1687 said:
First off, President Bush was the one who signed the nationwide carry bill into law. Secondly, you aren't the only one who posts here in law enforcement. I have nearly as much tenure as you claim to have and I can tell you that what you are saying is at best a partial truth. I have taught liability management to alot of different PDs in the North and Southeast and can tell you that you are forgetting about actually being sworn to act. As I've said previously, it certainly is not wise or prudent to act on EVERY single thing you encounter while off duty, but Officers DO have to make judgement calls and obviously this cop did. It is just as wrong to judge him prematurely...Foley obviously made a very bad mistake by flexing on anyone with a gun. And come on...if he really thought he was getting jacked, wouldn't most people call the police (solving the question of legitimacy altogether)??
Lastly, your posts sound like that you are completely about the money. If that is the case...I think you may have made a mistake by choosing Law Enforcement as a career, but surely in 20 years of service you've figured that out. As to your question about enforcing laws while off duty: There is also something called ethics that you have surely encountered in 20 years of service?? Perhaps the oath you took when you hired on?? I guess that's what disturbs me about the aire of your posts....definately 180 degrees from ANY cop I've ever met.

NAtedawg44: If you are a legitimate physician, I can understand why your profession has dropped to the level of attorney in the publics trust. It is obvious that you are solely about making a buck. So, pass that car wreck on by....it may be your family there one day...which would be a great reason to re-think that approach. Just my .02.

:hammer:

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
For those of you who know it all about law enforcement, re-read my posts. I said that he should have followed cloesly behind and call the authority with jusirdictiion.

You can say all you want about your duty, ethics and watch all the Starsky and Hutch and Miami Vice you want, that is not reality. The number one rule of a LEO officer is SAFETY. You don't forsake safety for anything, especially off duty. Even undercover and unmarked units don't make traffic stops, if at all possible. That is what marked units are for.

Yeah I took an oath, and so do all cops, and that oath doesn't say that you are on duty 24 X 7 X 365. It is stupid to think that a LEO is entitled to be on-duty at all times.

IMO, this officer made a big mistake in taking matters into his own hands. This whole shooting incident could have been avoided if he had acted properly. With SAfety in mind, he should have waited for backup before escalating the situation. What was he gonna do with the suspect if the had not resisted, throw him in the back of his car and take him to the nearest police station? What police station should he take him too?

Furthermore, if I am in a convinience store, and a robbery ensues, of course I would take action. But I have been on the road where I spotted a suspicous drunk driver and called the local authorities, and followed the vehicle until the PD was in position to make a stop. I have on several occassions assisted PD's who have had problems with suspects, during a traffic stops.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Chargers' Foley shot by off-duty cop

By Sandra Dibble
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
September 4, 2006
Chargers linebacker Steve Foley underwent surgery for gunshot wounds yesterday after being shot by an off-duty police officer outside his Poway home.
sp_foley.jpg

Steve Foley
The 3:41 a.m. shooting occurred after the Coronado officer followed Foley's car for about 10 miles, according to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department. The officer suspected a drunken driver when he spotted Foley's vehicle weaving in and out of lanes of northbound traffic on state Route 163, nearly colliding with several other cars, investigators said.
Foley, 30, was shot standing near his car, said sheriff's homicide Lt. Dennis Brugos. He more than once had refused the officer's order to pull over, Brugos said.
The officer, whose name was not released, was driving an unmarked car and was not in uniform. The officer told investigators he fired his weapon several times at Foley after the athlete stepped out of his vehicle on the quiet, upscale cul-de-sac of Travertine Court, and reached into his pants.
It was not clear whether Foley was armed, Brugos said.
Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer said Foley's injuries were not life-threatening. Schottenheimer said he did not know whether Foley would miss any time on the playing field as a result.

t.gif
t.gif
Advertisement “The only thing we're thinking about is to make sure he is well,” Schottenheimer said. “Beyond that, it's not appropriate in my view to comment.”
On Saturday evening, hours before the incident, Foley had attended the Chargers' rookie dinner, where new players treat veterans to a lavish meal.
Police said Foley was taken to Sharp Memorial Hospital. A city of San Diego dispatcher confirmed an ambulance sent to Travertine Court at 3:47 a.m. took a patient to Sharp Memorial Hospital in Kearny Mesa. A hospital spokeswoman, Kathy Gambito, said she had no information on a patient with Foley's name.
Foley's agent, David Levine, said Foley underwent surgery at noon.
It is unknown whether any charges will be filed against Foley. His female companion, Lisa Maree Gaut, 25, was booked into Las Colinas jail yesterday afternoon on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, according to the Sheriff's Department. A court hearing for Gaut is set for Thursday afternoon in El Cajon.
Foley signed with the Chargers as a free agent before the 2004 season, starting 13 games last season and missing three games with an abdominal injury. He tied for third on the team with 4½ sacks.
“He's been a great asset to this team, whether it's how he plays or how he livens up the locker room and how he leads,” said cornerback Quentin Jammer. “Foley is a genuine good guy. That's how he is all the time.”
Homicide detectives have taken over the investigation, because the shooting involves a police officer. The officer is on administrative leave, according to the Sheriff's Department, a standard procedure in such shootings.
The Coronado Police Department referred questions to the Sheriff's Department.
Foley has had previous run-ins with law enforcement. Last week, the San Diego County District Attorney's Office said it would not pursue charges against Foley for an incident in April. He was accused of resisting arrest, battery on a police officer and being drunk in public after an altercation on a University City street about 1:30 a.m. April 21.
After several incidents in Cincinnati in 1999 and 2000, where he played for the Bengals, Foley was enrolled in an NFL alcohol program.
According to the initial report from the Sheriff's Department, yesterday's incident started about 3:30 a.m. when the Coronado officer said he noticed Foley's car weaving on state Route 163 near state Route 52, traveling at speeds ranging from 30 mph to 90 mph.
The officer followed Foley's car as it exited Interstate 15 at Pomerado Road, the report said. Officials said the officer radioed other law enforcement agencies about his actions. When Foley stopped at a red light, the officer said he pulled his car alongside Foley's, identified himself as a police officer, and ordered him to pull over. Foley continued driving, investigators said.
After a short distance, Foley's car stopped again. Foley got out of the vehicle and approached the officer, who had stopped his vehicle behind Foley's. The officer identified himself again and pulled out his handgun, according to the report.
Foley kept approaching and said, “that's a BB gun,” the officer told investigators.
Foley then walked back to his car and drove away. Foley stopped again at the corner of Treadwell Drive and Travertine Court, near his house. The officer backed up his car and then stepped out at the end of the cul-de-sac, according to the report. Foley, who is 6-foot-4 and weighs 265 pounds, walked toward him with his female companion, Gaut, now at the wheel of Foley's customized Oldsmobile Cutlass.
The officer repeated that he was a police officer, and that the gun was real, according to the report. The officer then fired into some bushes as a warning. Gaut then drove the car quickly in the officer's direction, prompting him to fire two times at the vehicle, the report said. That's when Foley reached into his pants with his right hand, investigators said, and continued to approach the officer. The officer fired his gun.
“The suspect acknowledged that he had been shot, but continued toward the officer,” the sheriff's report said.
The officer fired again, the report said, and Foley fell to the ground.
The law allows – but does not require – off-duty police officers to make arrests when they witness suspected misdemeanor crimes, including drunken driving, said Paul Pfingst, the former San Diego County district attorney now in private practice.
“If a person resists arrest, (the officer) has no duty to retreat, if they use deadly force against him, he has the right to defend himself,” said Pfingst, who also served on the San Diego Police Department's review board scrutinizing police shootings and misconduct accusations.
What may become an issue in this case is how the Coronado officer identified himself and whether Foley believed he was legitimate, Pfingst said.
“There's an (identification) question going on there,” he said. “Usually if someone has a badge and a gun and displays it in a clear manner, people don't think they're having a BB gun. The question is whether a badge was displayed. And when it was displayed, was it displayed in a manner that could be seen.”
Several hours after the shooting yesterday, investigators remained on the scene, cordoning off the small cul-de-sac where the shooting occurred. Foley's car stood in the middle, the passenger door ajar.
Property records show Foley purchased a four-bedroom, 2,965-square-foot residence on Travertine Court for $1.39 million in July 2005.
Neighbors in the Rolling Hills Estates development described Foley as a friendly, pleasant neighbor.
“He was real personable, every time he went by he would wave,” said Kent Goodman, who lives nearby. Foley took time to chat with Goodman's son, who plays football in a Pop Warner League, Goodman said.