Chaz Green talks about the Falcon game

Rayman70

Reaction score
If Dak needs all of this supporting cast why do we need him?

If he needs an All World OL and RB then maybe we need a better QB?
You do realize Philly was maybe 4 deep at RB...and the oilne was very talented and deep? You can NEVER have too many studs to surround your QB with. Its a good thing. The 2 positions that helped Foles and Wentz win that ring last year was in fact...the 2 things you just mentioned lol..." all world OL and RB." IT WORKS!!! Philly had Blount,Ajayi, a rookie back(clement), and it escapes me right now...but they had another..maybe it was sproles. Our issue was behind Zeke we had Morris...a good back..but not great. Rod Smith...same thing. Our oline was not deep. Beyond our starters, we had no quality depth. This year that changes I think. Time will tell. Good debate to have.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I’d start in the draft. There were 5 QB taken in 1st round this year.

If we don’t have an Elite QB does the rest matter?
You think a kid in this years draft would be elite? Or in next years draft? I'm just not seeing it. Darnold..MAYBE..but no one knows. Dak will be the starter until he proves without a shadow of a doubt he can't cut it. To date, he's been plenty good enough. The 2016 season was not a mirage. IT HAPPENED.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You think a kid in this years draft would be elite? Or in next years draft? I'm just not seeing it. Darnold..MAYBE..but no one knows. Dak will be the starter until he proves without a shadow of a doubt he can't cut it. To date, he's been plenty good enough. The 2016 season was not a mirage. IT HAPPENED.
He could be. 1st round is place to start. The better team these young talents go to the better chance they have.

Look how much supporting cast Dak needs. You think he’d get more with Jets or Browns?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Nice debate Die hard...I don't mind one bit having this convo...But anywho..I gotta go get some chores done outside before it gets too hot. That Texas heat is brutal right now. TTYL dude. We can pick this up later on.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He could be. 1st round is place to start. The better team these young talents go to the better chance they have.

Look how much supporting cast Dak needs. You think he’d get more with Jets or Browns?
hard to say bro.

superonyx

Reaction score
I doubt it was the coaching staff the failed him, he failed the coaching staff. Three probowlers on that line!
Don’t doubt it. They could have called protection schemes to have a back, TE ect help him out.
Everyone watching that game was calling for the coaches to help him scheme wise..they left him and our offense out to dry.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
as far as oline goes, your right. That's certainly not his strong suit. The biggest mistake we made was allowing Leary to leave. I think he is still better than what we currently have at LG. I GUESS we shall find out what we have at LG in camp. That position killed us last year...coupled with Zeke...and the LT position. The wr corp was basically unable to gain any separation...and the routes were horrible. BeaZ WAS and prolly still is our best route runner,unless Hurns and one of these rooks proves otherwise.

We have too many premium picks and too much money invested in the OL. We have nothing at WR or TE and that makes us easy to defend. My expectation this year is 8-8.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
AT LEAST 2 more. Would have been 6 sacks.

So now, anytime the QB is forced out of the pocket, you are going to blame the tackle and credit him with a sack? Or are you just going to do so when it fits your narrative?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
No need to get defensive. I was just bringing up that the sack total given up by Green doesn’t tell the whole story. He was getting beat like a rented mule all game long. It was the second worst performance I have ever seen by an offensive lineman, my entire life. He didn’t even slow Clayborn down on a bunch of the sacks.

You sure love that hyperbole.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Like his attitude, which might explain why he's still on the team...... He probably needs some preseason snaps at LT to get his confidence back. The fact they had him at RG for OTAs, makes FOUR positions where he's lined up on the OL.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...s-himself-for-Atlanta-Falcons-game-119276386/
Chaz Green blames himself for Atlanta Falcons game
BySAM QUINN Jun 22, 3:39 PM
6_7846904.png

(Photo: Dustin Bradford, Getty)

Chaz Green is somewhat unique among offensive lineman, particularly in the star studded group that the Dallas Cowboys put on the field. Offensive lineman tend to be somewhat anonymous, particularly fringe starters, but if Green were to retire right now, he would forever be remembered for one game. With Tyron Smith injured ahead of last season's game against the Atlanta Falcons, Smith was forced to step in as the starter at left tackle. Adrian Clayborn proceeded to abuse him for six sacks in what was undoubtedly the worst game any offensive lineman has played in recent memory.

Green admitted to Drew Davison of The Fort Worth Star-Telegram that getting over that game has been difficult for him. That is especially true considering he doesn't have an outside excuse to blame the performance on. "When I watched it, I knew a lot of it was self-inflicted. That's what's so bad about it," Green said. "That's no disrespect to who I was going against. I just know my capabilities and I know I could’ve done better. I’m trying to work on those things and make sure that’s something I don’t go back to." Green wasn't hurt. He wasn't in a particularly bad matchup against a superstar edge rusher. He just played terrible football for the 60 worst minutes of the Cowboys season
He didn't throw anyone under the bus like our QB has. But the blame is only partially his. Just watch how inept our playcalling and QB awareness was to counter the "bounce out wide" rush by Clayborn. A simple draw, screen, move up in the pocket, run inside, anything but whatever we did would've worked. And this is a professional team that can't adjust...

jrumann59

Reaction score
as far as oline goes, your right. That's certainly not his strong suit. The biggest mistake we made was allowing Leary to leave. I think he is still better than what we currently have at LG. I GUESS we shall find out what we have at LG in camp. That position killed us last year...coupled with Zeke...and the LT position. The wr corp was basically unable to gain any separation...and the routes were horrible. BeaZ WAS and prolly still is our best route runner,unless Hurns and one of these rooks proves otherwise.

allowing? unless the team gave Leary 10 OG money his was gone. The whole Collins taking his spot situation, then to top it off the high tender when he was RFA he felt like jilted lover. He was never coming back.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If no improvements are made in his game in early 2018 then I see no harm in letting Rush compete this year and White next year.
My concern is we’re doubling down on Dak. We’ve brought in another high pick on OL, turned our receiving Corp over attempting to accommodate his skill set while only bringing in a 5th round pick at QB.

I don’t believe we have any attention of looking for another QB if Dak struggles again. We appear All In regardless. His winning wave in 2016 apparently sealed the deal for better or worse.

glimmerman

Reaction score
allowing? unless the team gave Leary 10 OG money his was gone. The whole Collins taking his spot situation, then to top it off the high tender when he was RFA he felt like jilted lover. He was never coming back.
Free retiring hurt the O-Line also.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Free retiring hurt the O-Line also.
I agree Leary leaving and Free retiring compounded the issue. Personally I think the whole Move Collins and find a OG was a dumb move. as much as I hate green he performed above avg when filling in tyron the previous year. I felt they should have kept Collins at OG and looked at ROT with either Green or maybe a FA vet. You should never make 2 holes by moving a guy to another position.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My concern is we’re doubling down on Dak. We’ve brought in another high pick on OL, turned our receiving Corp over attempting to accommodate his skill set while only bringing in a 5th round pick at QB.

I don’t believe we have any attention of looking for another QB if Dak struggles again. We appear All In regardless. His winning wave in 2016 apparently sealed the deal for better or worse.
I think the front office made it crystal clear a long-term commitment, five-to-ten years easily, had been made to Prescott when Romo was effectively terminated in October 2016. While it is an uncertainty how much foresight Jones and Garrett put into anticipating struggles that beset any young quarterback, it has become abundantly clear that some fans (not you necessarily) have slowly grown apprehensive about Prescott's longevity at starter.

The apprehension appears based in what may be perceived as Prescott's struggles during last season. If so, I would hope that patience is adopted because Prescott would need to struggle FAR worse than anything seen in both last season or 2016 before the franchise changes its stance on the position in my highest opinion.

Historically, franchise quarterbacks are not generally replaced until an organization has determined they found a successor. Jones and Garrett believed they found one in Prescott. They pushed all their chips into the pile. One or both will ride that decision for a long time to come despite any outside concerns.

InTheZone

Reaction score

Maybe, but this ol and run game will make life easy for the next QB. There should be no issue of needing different receivers (that don't question QB/coaching play) whoever the QB is. I believe this is the do or die year for Dak because of all the changes that have been made for him. If he fails then Linehan and Garrett have the petty excuse to save their job again because Dak couldn't get it done. I worry you may be right that they don't go any other direction if he fails, but we all know the organization is all about positive attitudes and words until the time comes to make a personnel decision.

The core of this offense and defense cannot afford to wait for the QB to show up much longer. If Dak fails and we don't go another direction with the QB our window is probably sealed. If failure happens in 2018 and change happens there could be 3-4 years of potential before the oline degrades and we lose too many more quality defenders. This franchise needs Dak to play at a high level now or we're going to be waiting a while like we have been.