Chaz Green talks about the Falcon game

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe, but this ol and run game will make life easy for the next QB. There should be no issue of needing different receivers (that don't question QB/coaching play) whoever the QB is. I believe this is the do or die year for Dak because of all the changes that have been made for him. If he fails then Linehan and Garrett have the petty excuse to save their job again because Dak couldn't get it done. I worry you may be right that they don't go any other direction if he fails, but we all know the organization is all about positive attitudes and words until the time comes to make a personnel decision.

The core of this offense and defense cannot afford to wait for the QB to show up much longer. If Dak fails and we don't go another direction with the QB our window is probably sealed. If failure happens in 2018 and change happens there could be 3-4 years of potential before the oline degrades and we lose too many more quality defenders. This franchise needs Dak to play at a high level now or we're going to be waiting a while like we have been.
[Bold] Do you think Jones and/or Garrett share your ultimatum? Or is it your expectation should Prescott's performance in 2018 not reach your qualifications?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the front office made it crystal clear a long-term commitment, five-to-ten years easily, had been made to Prescott when Romo was effectively terminated in October 2016. While it is an uncertainty how much foresight Jones and Garrett put into anticipating struggles that beset any young quarterback, it has become abundantly clear that some fans (not you necessarily) have slowly grown apprehensive about Prescott's longevity at starter.

The apprehension appears based in what may be perceived as Prescott's struggles during last season. If so, I would hope that patience is adopted because Prescott would need to struggle FAR worse than anything seen in both last season or 2016 before the franchise changes its stance on the position in my highest opinion.

Historically, franchise quarterbacks are not generally replaced until an organization has determined they found a successor. Jones and Garrett believed they found one in Prescott. They pushed all their chips into the pile. One or both will ride that decision for a long time to come despite any outside concerns.
I totally agree and why I label it “ All In regardless”. Which it is my intent to call out.

It’s my position we made a hasty decision before seeing more evidence. Obviously they think they saw enough.

InTheZone

Reaction score
[Bold] Do you think Jones and/or Garrett share your ultimatum? Or is it your expectation should Prescott's performance in 2018 not reach your qualifications?
"I worry you may be right that they don't go any other direction if he fails"

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Maybe, but this ol and run game will make life easy for the next QB. There should be no issue of needing different receivers (that don't question QB/coaching play) whoever the QB is. I believe this is the do or die year for Dak because of all the changes that have been made for him. If he fails then Linehan and Garrett have the petty excuse to save their job again because Dak couldn't get it done. I worry you may be right that they don't go any other direction if he fails, but we all know the organization is all about positive attitudes and words until the time comes to make a personnel decision.

The core of this offense and defense cannot afford to wait for the QB to show up much longer. If Dak fails and we don't go another direction with the QB our window is probably sealed. If failure happens in 2018 and change happens there could be 3-4 years of potential before the oline degrades and we lose too many more quality defenders. This franchise needs Dak to play at a high level now or we're going to be waiting a while like we have been.
Every indicator as DallasEast accurately referred to with Dak I believe to be true. That Jerry is already All In with Dak. The decision as DallasEast stated was made when Romo was booted to the curb.

All that’s left now is for Dak to determine by his performance how much or long our commitment is. I don’t see Jerry admitting he made a mistake regardless of Daks performance or results this year.

Instead there will be damage control surrounding Dak whether it’s in coaching or personnel moves depending on where the larger weaknesses and public criticisms appear to be.

But unfortunately Id argue for better or worse Dak is our immediate future. I’m hopeful the commitment will be more similar to what the Jags paid Bortyles. 3 years 50 million. Which doesn’t totally handcuff us financially nor long term.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"I worry you may be right that they don't go any other direction if he fails"
I can only speculate but I think it is perfectly safe saying the front office's standard for failure is (exceptionally) different from the standard held outside their inner circle.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now normally I like your perspective - don't freak out over one bad game.

But when that one bad game might be the worst display of pass blocking by any player in the last decade, it's not just one bad game.

You somewhat making my point for me.

Emotion is causing you to ignore a concept that you appear to agree with.

Bad games happen. Romo threw 6 INTs in a game.

If you play golf, it should be easy to understand. I play the same course often. I normally shoot 84 +/- a few strokes (no official handicap); however, occasionally everything just falls apart and I don't even break 100.

In recent years I've rarely ever shot in the nineties. I'm either near the 84 or I fall apart and don't break 100 (i.e. No middle ground).

blueblood70

Reaction score
swinging door tackle should have been cut the next regardless whos fault it was..its about showing the rest of the team that accountability will be enforced..he would have been a great scapegoat motivating the others to perform or go..jimmy j/parcells would have used that as a motivating force while short handed..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
noScAG4.gif

HAHAHA!!! How'd you do that?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
FIRST...he aint an NFL caliber tackle. He's proven that. He cant stay in shape and on the field. At best, I see him as a 2nd or 3rd string guard..a depth guy. Put him in a phone booth and let him run block..thats his forte. His technique is way too bad to be a tackle. He's always a half step slow.

If you are going to go the game by game method of judging a "NFL caliber tackle" he started two games at LT, was isolated and played well technique wise and overall.

He is not "always" a step slow. He was much more than a step slow in that ATL game and on time the two other times.

Now I do not know that he cannot return to that 2016 form. He could be broken but at the same time I do not see how someone can say that he is broken for sure.

And again if his ceiling is a backup OL those are valuable too. Not everyone can be elite on the roster.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
IDK how many chances Green will get to prove himself in TC, seeing as how his 2017 performance left so much to be desired. What I do know is that he'd better make the most of the limited action he'll see if he wants to keep a roster spot. Even then, things look highly doubtful for him. The staff knows him well enough by now to see how he compares to guys like Looney, Fleming, Marcus Martin and Kadeem Edwards. He's knows he's on thin ice and needs to play like never before in TC. Nevertheless, I'd venture to say his chances to stick around are slim and slimmer, barring a miraculous turnaround.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
If you are going to go the game by game method of judging a "NFL caliber tackle" he started two games at LT, was isolated and played well technique wise and overall.

He is not "always" a step slow. He was much more than a step slow in that ATL game and on time the two other times.

Now I do not know that he cannot return to that 2016 form. He could be broken but at the same time I do not see how someone can say that he is broken for sure.

And again if his ceiling is a backup OL those are valuable too. Not everyone can be elite on the roster.
no not always..your right. But wouldn't it be nice if he cared enough to get into good condition?

Rayman70

Reaction score
its funny..the Chaz Green Love on here. So why NOW will he suddenly be a good player? He gonna be in shape? lol...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doesn't matter what he says, it's all there for anyone to see, including the coaching staff that hadn't planned on him not being up to it. He was just awful and so were they.

Part of me feels for the kid because that is universally acknowledged as the worst game any Cowboys OL ever played and this team had those 5 Matadors in 1989 and Pozderac for comparison.

It is one thing to realize he screwed up but he has yet to show he belongs on this OL. All the admission and accepting the blame will not create talent. He had no business on any NFL field that day. He is simply not good enough when it is needed.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Here's my issue with not having Green or at least another experience T ( besides Fleming ). Let's Tyron Smith is out for 3-4 games ( entirely possible ). Our OLmen are Smith, Williams, Frederick, Martin, and Collins as the starters. Looney, Fleming, and Martin are backups as many are projecting. Fleming is obviously Tyron replacement 3-4 games. What happens if Fleming, our only swing T, goes down during a game. That leaves Looney or Martin ( neither ever played T ) as your back up. Two interior players for positions with a young rookie and an all-pro who never missed a regular season game.

The point here ......isn't it smarter to prepared Tyron Smith missing games than Martin and Connor Williams? This is why I keep either Green or another signed FA tackle over Martin.

Rayman70

Reaction score
And again I say. SHUT THE HECK UP CHAZ. What have you ever done? Work your tail off..GET INTO CONDITION...then worry about proving yourself on the field. Until then, nothing you say matters..not 1 bit. Excuses are for losers. GET BETTER.