Chaz Green

Yuma Cactus

Reaction score
He's not a LT, this was said by every single draft scout. There is nothing to freak out over with this. Just him "playing well early" is great praise. The guy is built to play on the right side, he was out of position like Free was for many years.
And he has played exclusively on the right side in camp.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm watching him again.. He is just making basic mistakes.

He looks like he is moving ok but he is not getting his hands on the guy. He even got beat inside which should never happen.

He may be ok but my gosh does he have technique issues.

I don't think his athleticism is that bad though.

BigWillie

Reaction score
He's not a LT, this was said by every single draft scout. There is nothing to freak out over with this. Just him "playing well early" is great praise. The guy is built to play on the right side, he was out of position like Free was for many years.

As the backup swing tackle, he's not going to have the luxury to play only on the right side. He's going to need the flexibility to play on both sides of the line, especially if, knock on wood, Tyron were to go down with some type of injury.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
He had a bunch of mental lapses as well, he was pulled after that one drive.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I didn't think that he got beat constantly. He started off well with nice lean/bend and quick feet. Covered a ton of space in his first two kick slides with solid hands. I think the first hold was a BS call. The guy tried to submarine him so he just sat down on him. I've seen OL do that thousands of times without call. The clip was absolute BS. His shoulder clearly wasn't on his back.

He came out in the second half and played sloppy. That is common with fatigue. He was standing up and stuttering his footwork which was crisp in the first half.

He reminds me of Parnell more than a little. Parnell would wear down earlier in his career. Green doesn't have his raw power but neither did Parnell his first year playing. One thing that Parnell taught me which in retrospect I should have learned with Flo is that you have to patient with most OT prospects. I try to learn from my mistakes.

RS12

Reaction score
Chaz Green OT

With the veteran day off for Doug Free, Green took the snaps at right tackle. Like the previous day, when he lined up at left tackle, he had some solid moments -- but some poor ones, as well. He gives you hope because he does flash the technique and ability you like to see from your tackles, but it's just not consistent enough. It's hard for him to put back-to-back snaps together where he is doing everything right. In the running game -- especially when at the point of attack -- there are problems with his head placement and his ability to drive through the defender. Green tends to catch his man more than he can over power anyone. When he plays this way, it allows the defender to get off the hook and work back into the play. This goes for the passing game, as well. He tends to do better when rushers play down the middle on him. Movement tends to give him problems. If Chaz Green is going to be this club's swing tackle, he's going to need to learn how to finish better.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Dude was laughably bad tonight, seriously looked like he should be playing in the CFL and not the NFL.

I would be somewhat mad if not for the fact that this team pisses away 2nd and 3rd round picks like they are skittles, so I am used to it.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Definition of swing tackle requires him to be able to play either left or right tackle.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Very poor play in the 2nd half and it wasnt even against a great de. Unless he drastically improves they really need to hold onto Leary and consider swinging Collins outside if needed to get the ol on the field.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Agree, plus plenty of OTs have trouble with small, quick guys like Seau. Flozell started at LT for a decade and still had games where those type of players would beat him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Definition of swing tackle requires him to be able to play either left or right tackle.

LT is a tough position. He may be "required" to play that position, but that is not his natural position. He has upside at right tackle, not much at left. He'll always be just that, average at LT. Which is what most "swing tackles" are anyways.

With Free's age, at this point, I'm hoping he develops into more than a swing tackle. If that's his ceiling, I'm not entirely sure I want him on the roster.

Reactions: BAT

Sydla

Reaction score
If it were me, his window is really small.

Last year there was some chatter he was milking his injury. This year you've heard that he has not looked good in practice, some even whispering he goes through the motions, and then according to some in the media, is out of shape.

Unacceptable for a guy you were counting on. If things don't improve immensely in the next couple of weeks, his job should be in jeopardy.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
His hips don't lie, man that guy is stiff. Can u imagine him trying to block Freeney? One spin move and he would just topple over onto the ground. He needs more time to get his body right...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll bet the staff will be extremely reluctant to use him on the left side again anytime soon.

In the meantime, it's clearly obvious he'll be obliged to work diligently on his conditioning.

I'm not too sure we have another OL prospect with LT capabilities but we'd best find one.

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Getting to down on Green would be like getting too up over Prescott.

It was one preseason game...

Let's see if there's any change in Green's game by the end of preseason.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
He makes too many mental mistakes and relies too much on using his body to block people.

I really worry if he becomes the swing tackle this season.
Fatigue makes cowards out of all of us. His technique broke completely down after he got tired. He looked decent with ones, not so much with the 2s and 3s. I still think he will be a player.